Driver side wing mirror needed

G10AYR

Reaction score
Hi guys,
picked up my new 18 plate S5 sportback on the 1st of March and I've been absolutely LOVING it, however as I was driving through Glasgow city centre this afternoon one of the St Patrick's day drunks tried to run across 4 lanes of traffic and smashed into the side of my car knocking my wing mirror off and smashing it to pieces so now I need to try and find a replacement as I can't make a claim because the woman refused to give her details to the police!

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have a spare drivers side wing mirror from the new style A5/S5? I know a few people have replaced theirs with the folding ones so maybe someone has a spare lying around? I'd obviously pay for it, I don't expect it for free but I really don't want to buy a new one from the main dealer. I've had a look through eBay and can't find any new style ones unfortunately so if anyone knows anyone who has a used one or anywhere that sells things like that cheaper than the main dealer it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Would that be covered under your car insurance 'vandalism', she ran across the road and grabbed your mirror??? Did you get a crime number from the Police?

EDIT* The complete mirror as in housing and glass, or just the glass?

Would that be covered under your car insurance 'vandalism', she ran across the road and grabbed your mirror??? Did you get a crime number from the Police?

EDIT* The complete mirror as in housing and glass, or just the glass?

Yeah I would probably be able to make a claim but I've got a £500 voluntary excess plus a £250 compulsory excess so the first £750 worth of damage would be paid by me and then for the following 5 years of have to say I'd made a claim against my insurance for vandalism and my insurance would rocket up and I'd lose my no claims discount too so I'm really reluctant to even contact the insurance company.

The glass came out when the accident happened but I managed to pop that back in quite easily enough but the part that actually holds onto the inside of the door is snapped and the the casing is snapped too and I just noticed that the piece of glass that comes through the wing mirror to show you that the indicator is on has snapped too so pretty much every piece of the wing mirror is damaged. There' a big dent on the door too where the housing smashed into it but I know a dents guy who will be able to knock that out again for me so my main problem is the actual wing mirror housing.

Can' believe this has happened to me! My pride and joy and some drunk has just damaged it! I'm so careful where I park it and spend so much time washing it the right way and then some freak accident and it's ruined just like that!

If it wasn't for my bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Sorry I forgot to say I did get a reference number from the police but I'm 99% sure I won' be going through the insurance.

So sorry to hear this gutted for you, I replaced mine and had the old ones on ebay for two weeks with no buyers, the seller i bought my folding mirrors from contacted me and offered me £100 for both!
Just had a look on his page but not listed yet, may be worth contacting him
Link to his page https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/amsdirectltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
He looks like he sells them for around £100 each but still better than new price.
Also if you need any help with fitting, i`d be happy to help.

Reactions: S32B and G10AYR
So sorry to hear this gutted for you, I replaced mine and had the old ones on ebay for two weeks with no buyers, the seller i bought my folding mirrors from contacted me and offered me £100 for both!
Just had a look on his page but not listed yet, may be worth contacting him
Link to his page https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/amsdirectltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
He looks like he sells them for around £100 each but still better than new price.
Also if you need any help with fitting, i`d be happy to help.

Oh thanks very much, I've just sent the guy a message on eBay so fingers crossed he's still got them. It is the new A5/S5 wing mirrors isn' it? Just in case it's the previous model as I found a couple of them on eBay but they changed on the latest model.

I woke up this morning and for a minute I had forgotten about and then I quickly realised again :( I am absolutely gutted about it!

yes new A5 mine is coup but think they should be the same fingers crossed

Reactions: G10AYR
yes new A5 mine is coup but think they should be the same fingers crossed

Brilliant Dave, cheers. I've just got a reply from the guy on eBay and he does still have them but he just hasn' put them on eBay yet so I'm just waiting to see how much he wants for it. Fingers crossed he can get it to me asap as I can't drive the car the way it is just now.

I'm so glad you replied to this because if I couldn't find anyone who had a used one this weekend I would have had to buy a brand new one from Audi tomorrow when the parts department opened back up so thanks very much for letting me know about yours. It's very much appreciated :D :)

Thats good, i know your a long way north of Yorkshire but if you need it fitting i can do this for you at no cost :icon thumright:

Thats good, i know your a long way north of Yorkshire but if you need it fitting i can do this for you at no cost :icon thumright:

Thanks Dave but I had the misfortune of losing a wing mirror last year in my previous car so I'll probably just give it a try myself. I'm hoping it's going to be as simple as the last car and it's just a case of taking the door card off and loosening off the screws and the electrical connector and then just popping the new 1 back in place and tightening everything up again. Well that' the plan anyway lol.

Thanks again for your help

Yeah I would probably be able to make a claim but I've got a £500 voluntary excess plus a £250 compulsory excess so the first £750 worth of damage would be paid by me and then for the following 5 years of have to say I'd made a claim against my insurance for vandalism and my insurance would rocket up and I'd lose my no claims discount too so I'm really reluctant to even contact the insurance company.

The glass came out when the accident happened but I managed to pop that back in quite easily enough but the part that actually holds onto the inside of the door is snapped and the the casing is snapped too and I just noticed that the piece of glass that comes through the wing mirror to show you that the indicator is on has snapped too so pretty much every piece of the wing mirror is damaged. There' a big dent on the door too where the housing smashed into it but I know a dents guy who will be able to knock that out again for me so my main problem is the actual wing mirror housing.

Can' believe this has happened to me! My pride and joy and some drunk has just damaged it! I'm so careful where I park it and spend so much time washing it the right way and then some freak accident and it's ruined just like that!

If it wasn't for my bad luck I'd have no luck at all!
Yeah I know what you're saying, I just thought that vandalism didn't touch the no claims/excess side...

Gutted for you mate, I know how I'd feel :( Hope the ebay contact Dave gave you comes through :)

EDIT* Just looked, you're correct and they do charge you the excess, but leave your no claims alone (at least with these guys) https://www.churchill.com/car-insurance/vandalism

What a lovely gesture...top man ;)

Only problem I had with mine was the window drops as you open the door on the coup it covers one of the 3 bolts on the mirror, I had to shut Door from inside then unplugged the window lifter connector to stop it dropping as you open door.
If you need any help at all just shout
Dave

Forgot to say, removing the front speaker makes it easier to route the wiring into the car.

Forgot to say, removing the front speaker makes it easier to route the wiring into the car.

Thanks Dave, I didn't think about that one as my last car wasn't a frameless door so I'll definitely remember that one.

Just heard back from the guy and he wants £150 for the drivers side one. I'm going to go for that and just hope he sends it out ASAP as I can't drive the car the way it is just now in case the mirror damages the paintwork. He was asking if my mirror had lane assist, does he mean blind spot monitoring because mine doesn't have that. Mine are basically just the standard manual folding mirrors that heat up and are electrically adjusted. They don't dip when I put the car in reverse either. Is that that same as yours were Dave? I've still got the glass from my original mirror as it amazingly wasn't damaged so I could just pop that in if it's got the blind spot monitor on your old glass.

Thanks Dave, I didn't think about that one as my last car wasn't a frameless door so I'll definitely remember that one.

Just heard back from the guy and he wants £150 for the drivers side one. I'm going to go for that and just hope he sends it out ASAP as I can't drive the car the way it is just now in case the mirror damages the paintwork. He was asking if my mirror had lane assist, does he mean blind spot monitoring because mine doesn't have that. Mine are basically just the standard manual folding mirrors that heat up and are electrically adjusted. They don't dip when I put the car in reverse either. Is that that same as yours were Dave? I've still got the glass from my original mirror as it amazingly wasn't damaged so I could just pop that in if it's got the blind spot monitor on your old glass.
I have the electric folding mirrors on mine, only the passenger side one dips when in reverse anyway.

They were standard mirrors but have the lane departure lights on the coloured plastic cover, the led can be unplugged or removed, did the cover survive.

I have the electric folding mirrors on mine, only the passenger side one dips when in reverse anyway.

Oh right ok I'll need to try and give it a try with OBD Eleven and see what I can do. Would be a nice feature to have though as it'
Quite difficult to know how close to the kerb you are sometimes.

They were standard mirrors but have the lane departure lights on the coloured plastic cover, the led can be unplugged or removed, did the cover survive.

Yeah the cover was pretty much 1 of the only bits that was actually ok lol. I'll try and move it out the way if it doesn't come off with the cover. Hopefully it will be quite easy to disconnect or hide out the way behind the new cover.

I've just had a look at the door card there and I can only see 1 screw right in the middle of the door, is that right? I take it the rest are all poppers? I remember changing the mirror in my last car and taking the door card off was actually the most difficult part lol. Took me nearly an hour to figure out how to get it off without damaging it then 10 minutes to fit the new mirror and put the door card back on again lol.

This is door card removal from A4 but same as A5 https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4...arning-light-remove-door-panel-b9-a4-2915685/
This is good for mirror cover removal https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/diy-s4-mirror-caps-2911146/
If you still have your original mirror cover you should be able to unplug the led and fit the connector into a small holder provided if LED`s not fitted.
Hope that makes sense

Fantastic Dave thanks very much. You'e been an absolute star with this! Definitely owe you one for all your help. If you're ever near Glasgow/Ayrshire get in touch and I'll buy you a pint or 6 :) :D

sorry but i have stopped drinking as i start my new job at the weekend, Dave & Decs Saturday night takeaway :chuncky::chuncky::chuncky: