Dreaded hesitation

craig bryan

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I posted recently regarding my 04 3.2 DSG and the hesitation at 1600 - 2000. I had it into a local indy who couldnt find a software update but, found a P0011 - 008 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - Intermittent fault code.
They think its a chain and I just wanted a bit of advice because thats a big job!
My VCDS scan and some of the blocks I found to check from previous posts are:

Monday,16,September,2019,12:27:28:31934
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 19.6.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20190529 DS308.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3
Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1 5604
Software Coding: 0000178
Work Shop Code: WSC 06435 000 00000
VCID: 4D911F25D4ADA02722-8018

1 Fault Found:

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 008 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - Intermittent
1 Fault Found:

16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 001 - Incorrect Flow

Readiness: 0010 1001

Address 01: DTCs cleared

Address 01: Engine (022 906 032 CB)

12:28:49 Group 208: Camshaft Adjustment Adaptation (Intake)
640 /min Engine Speed (G28)
124 Phase Position Intake Cam.
-4.0°KW Intake Cam. Offset
00100100 Intake Cam. Adaptation

12:28:49 Group 209: Camshaft Adjustment Adaptation (Exhaust)
82 Phase Position Exhaust Cam.
-8.0°KW Exhaust Cam. Offset
00100100 Exhaust Cam. Adaptation

12:28:49 Group 090: Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1: Exhaust)
13.7 % Exhaust Camshaft Duty Cycle
0.0°KW Adjustment (specified)
0.5°KW Adjustment (actual)

Address 01: Engine (022 906 032 CB)

12:38:19 Group 093: Camshaft Adjustment (Intake Adaptation)
12.8 % Engine Load
-4.0°KW Adaptation Bank 1
-8.0°KW Adaptation Bank 2

12:38:19 Group 094: Camshaft Adjustment (Intake)
2.5°KW Adjustment Bank 1 (act.)

Test OFF Result Bank 1

12:38:19 Group 095: Intake Manifold Change-Over
12.8 % Engine Load
77.0°C Coolant Temperature (G62)
IMC-V OFF Change-Over Status

Any help greatly appreciated.

Give Paddy a shout he knows a fair bit about 3.2 issue.

Reactions: craig bryan and paddy
It does sound like chain and 2004 was the bad year. you are not going to fix it with software, its basically the chain has stretched and the adjuster cant take up the slack any further. Up till now i suspect the variable cam mechanism has been compensating but there comes a point where it cant cope.
Sorry but its an engine out job, the problem then is how far do you go with it while everything is accessible like Chains tensioners pulleys etc as well as the hydrolic cam advancers .

It's been a long time since I had anything to do with this but I believe your indy is wrong as I dont think it actually shows as an available update. It's a tpi to fix an issue that is worded gearbox hesitation, that's what sorts the 2k hesitation.
You still might have chain issues but I would definitely push to get your software updated first
I also think 8° in blocks 208 and 209 is just in tolerance atm as it's supposed to be 9° and over from memory

It does sound like chain and 2004 was the bad year. you are not going to fix it with software, its basically the chain has stretched and the adjuster cant take up the slack any further. Up till now i suspect the variable cam mechanism has been compensating but there comes a point where it cant cope.
Sorry but its an engine out job, the problem then is how far do you go with it while everything is accessible like Chains tensioners pulleys etc as well as the hydrolic cam advancers .

Thanks Paddy.
I thought that might be the case. Like you say it's how far to go.

It's been a long time since I had anything to do with this but I believe your indy is wrong as I dont think it actually shows as an available update. It's a tpi to fix an issue that is worded gearbox hesitation, that's what sorts the 2k hesitation.
You still might have chain issues but I would definitely push to get your software updated first
I also think 8° in blocks 208 and 209 is just in tolerance atm as it's supposed to be 9° and over from memory

I got all the numbers for the TPI and the software cd part number but my local dealer and Audi UK just deny it ever existed. Im on original software and DJAlix pointed me towards an indy in plymouth but, they also couldnt help. Yeah I think VCDS quotes +8 to -8. It was showing -9 but its since gone to -8. It is due a service soon so I dont know if the oil is a factor? So many stories on the forums so it's difficult to know which way to go when the car is running relatively well.

The software up date was

TPI 2010289/3 (SVM 8P01A005)

start with Swindon Audi as they installed it a few times on forum members cars so will find it hard to deny it exists.

Reactions: craig bryan
I got all the numbers for the TPI and the software cd part number but my local dealer and Audi UK just deny it ever existed. Im on original software and DJAlix pointed me towards an indy in plymouth but, they also couldnt help. Yeah I think VCDS quotes +8 to -8. It was showing -9 but its since gone to -8. It is due a service soon so I dont know if the oil is a factor? So many stories on the forums so it's difficult to know which way to go when the car is running relatively well.
Do you have a VCDS scan of your vehicle?

The software up date was

TPI 2010289/3 (SVM 8P01A005)

start with Swindon Audi as they installed it a few times on forum members cars so will find it hard to deny it exists.

So after another discussion with the local dealer, I believe they have talked to another dealer and can now offer me the update!
It took a while and im under no illusions that this is the whole solution but, one thing at a time.
The advice is brilliant so thanks to everyone.

Reactions: paddy and -Ju-
So after a trip to the main dealer and a TPI done, the car no longer hesitates and drives so much better. Still need to make a decision on chain replacement but thanks to everyone for the advice.

Reactions: -Ju-