DPF light about every 2 weeks

wrightyrx7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my car coming up to 2 years.

Since getting the car the DPF light has come on about every 2 weeks. I don't do much motorway travelling so i thought this was right. I go on the motorway and keep the revs about 2000 until it clears.

However I was recently out with my cousin in his Audi and we got talking about the particle filter and he said he's comes on after a good few months. He does the same sort of travelling as me just round town and not much motorway.

Any advice on why mine is coming on so often?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Don't quote me on this as I'm nowhere near a Diesel expert but think I've read about this somewhere in the time I've been on this forum.

If you drive short journeys, the DPF tends to 'clog up' causing the light to come on. I believe you need to give it a good blast to clear all the crap out every once in a while. If it's still coming on frequently after you've done that, get it scanned with VCDS which should give you a better idea of what's going on.

As said though, don't quote me as I could be wrong!

Hi thanks for our reply, that's what I'm doing at the minute giving it a blast every two weeks or so to get the light to go off :(

I have a Ross-Tech cable but dont know what to check for when it comes to the DPF

Sounds like 2000 rpm aint enough to burn all the crud away, I am no expert either but ppl I know who have same problem drive their cars alot harder and longer to clear the crap out, least 4000 rpm for a few miles

Personally I wouldn't be aiming for 4000rpm to clear it.

As stated, your short local trips are causing the crap to build up in the DPF and your car isn't being given the chance to clear it out.

I usually take my car for a motorway run once a week where I leave the car in 5th rather than 6th gear and raise the revs to anything between 2500-3000 and keep it there for as long as possible. In my experience being consistent doing this is more important that short blasts on the motorway where you rape it. This is because the car needs time for the exhaust temp to raise to a level where the soot in the DPF is being burnt off.

If you're going to be doing short trips regularly then do also consider having the DPF removed and the car mapped to remove the regen cycle out of it's program. This would be the 'ultimate' solution because you could do all the short trips in the world without having to worry about the DPF.

All your cars might have 6 gears but unfortunately mine doesn't haha :sorry:

So im best trying it in 4th maybe? And even when the Particle Filter light goes off, i could carry on for a few miles.

Anyone know if there is a way to to find the % of soot using VCDS?

How much is it to get the particle filter removed anyone know roughly?

All your cars might have 6 gears but unfortunately mine doesn't haha :sorry:

So im best trying it in 4th maybe? And even when the Particle Filter light goes off, i could carry on for a few miles.

Anyone know if there is a way to to find the % of soot using VCDS?

How much is it to get the particle filter removed anyone know roughly?

yeah try 4th gear in that case. the idea being you can keep the revvs high without breaking the speed limit and getting copped lol.

sorry i can't answer your questions RE VCDS, i've never used it.

they don't remove it because a visual inspection to check it is there is part of MOT now. what they do is remove it, remove the guts so it's totally hollow and then weld it back together and re-fit. so when the MOT man does the visual inspections, it's still there. you then have to code that part of the car's map out so basically the car "forgets" it had a DPF.

i assume you have the 1.9TDi 105BHP engine, in which case it'll probably go up to around 130 ish...

I have had my TDI for 9 months now it normally just runs around town (wife driving) and then once or twice a month I will give it a bit of right foot and the DPF has never came on. I might just be lucky

Last edited:
You may be lucky or your right footing may jus be doing the trick

I guess if OP's DPF is full of crap anyway, his town driving is pushing it over limit and light comes on? Whereas you may be starting from a lower amount if you see what I mean

I can tell when mines dodgy, car revs itself, changes gear late (it's DSG) and all sorts

You may be lucky or your right footing may jus be doing the trick

I guess if OP's DPF is full of crap anyway, his town driving is pushing it over limit and light comes on? Whereas you may be starting from a lower amount if you see what I mean

I can tell when mines dodgy, car revs itself, changes gear late (it's DSG) and all sorts

You could be right

Hi
I know this thread is old, did you manage to stop your dpf coming on every two weeks ? I’m having the same issue. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do a station regen in a Halfrauds car park ensuring the exhaust is facing towards the main entrance using a VCDS cable.

Then report back if it reoccurs every 2 weeks (sound like your shirt journeys are only clearing it a little then it reoccurs)

Just do a station regen in a Halfrauds car park ensuring the exhaust is facing towards the main entrance using a VCDS cable.

Then report back if it reoccurs every 2 weeks (sound like your shirt journeys are only clearing it a little then it reoccurs)

Thanks, I did take it to a garage for a force regen but got told it didn’t have enough soot inside for the regen to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Old thread I know but did you manage to get to the bottom of these DPF issues? I have exactly the same issue. DPF light illuminating every 2 weeks.

I have a issue with my sokda fabia 1.6 diesel the dpf light came on so i took it for a spin and after this it was a issue ever two weeks. Until the DPF light didn't go out and went to limp mode so i had it flushed and again same crap. 2 times and still the same ever two weeks the dpf light comes on. Iam just wondering if its a sensor as my car sounds like a bag of spanners lol and the revs go up and down too when its not in gear.

Amazing , an emissions device causing more emissions through special high rpm sustained driving .

I have a issue with my sokda fabia 1.6 diesel the dpf light came on so i took it for a spin and after this it was a issue ever two weeks. Until the DPF light didn't go out and went to limp mode so i had it flushed and again same ****. 2 times and still the same ever two weeks the dpf light comes on. Iam just wondering if its a sensor as my car sounds like a bag of spanners lol and the revs go up and down too when its not in gear.

they are very common to go faulty over time due to the heat and cause similar behaviour to what you have mentioned. Best way is to collect data via VCDS to confirm but for about £30
I would change it

Would this be ok
Screenshot 20200930 104158 comandroidchrome