Does wax ever "go off"?

Migwire

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I bought a tub of P21S (now known as P222) carnuba wax. Barely used it and I'm just wondering if it'll still be any good? It looks OK and has been kept at room temperature. Dare I try it on my brand new monsoon grey A3?

Why not try it on an area that cannot be seen e.g. under the carpet in the boot or under the bonnet. I would think that as long as the container was sealed there should be no reason why it should not be ok.

Reactions: Migwire
Good thinking judge! Might give it a go. I only picked it up on Friday. Any idea what kind of prep they come with? I.e will it already have some kind of wax applied?

The active ingredients in wax can go off, so after a a certain length of time it may be difficult to apply or it may be very difficult to buff off......the active ingredients allow the wax to do this but if they have deteriorated you may aswell throw it in the bin. Only one one to find out though as said above try it on a small area that cannot be seen but prep that area first as in clean, polished etc etc the same as you would a normal panel.

The active ingredients in wax can go off, so after a a certain length of time it may be difficult to apply or it may be very difficult to buff off......the active ingredients allow the wax to do this but if they have deteriorated you may aswell throw it in the bin. Only one one to find out though as said above try it on a small area that cannot be seen but prep that area first as in clean, polished etc etc the same as you would a normal panel.

Do you think it'll need polishing only a few days into it's life?