Does Anyone Like their S3?

Saw a Golf R today in the blue, nice colour but it did look cheap compared to the S3 :) :kissmyrings:

In your summary to BH, you missed out that Hold Assist is for people with weak legs, and Advanced Key is easier to steal.

And S3's look much better with mud flaps :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Psyman79
And privacy glass is for... oh, better not mention that one.

Reactions: veeeight
So, is steering good in ANY mode at all, because rather than opinion i'm seeing stated fact that is is not good at all, whereas some people say it's good in dynamic some say it's not... not everyone can be correct?

This is evo's write up on the Dynamic setting for the dampers and steering:

"We tested the car it the south of France, where the super smooth road surfaces flattered the S3 saloon’s ride quality. Even so, switching the Drive Select system to its ‘Dynamic’ mode firmed up the adjustable dampers to an uncomfortable degree – and we know that the hatchback really struggles when asked to deal with UK roads. ‘Dynamic’ mode also adds extra weight to the steering, but does nothing to increase feel."

(Usual caveat applies, press, article, journalist, opinion etc.)

Last edited:
I vote we kill this thread it's like Groundhog Day and i'm starting to dislike people which is most out of character.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Yes, because censorship and suppression of views you don't like is always the way forward

:rolleyes:

Although not quite Pyongyang - We call this falling into the trap of "groupthink" at work ;)

Reactions: kanecullen89, Blackwhite and Pulp84
I can tolerate views I don't like, but the same view countless times in a thread - yawn!

Don't. Click. On. This. Thread. Simples.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this thread!

:p

Reactions: kanecullen89
Don't. Say. The. Same. F*****g. Tedious. Messages. All. The. Way. Through. A. Thread. Where. I'm. Trying. To. Read. The. Views. Of. Other. People. On. This. Forum. It's. Just. Plain. F*****g. Rude. And. There. Are. Other. Users. On. Here. With. Views. Too. You. Know.

And everyone has the same freedoms to express them.

If you think a great wrong has been done, then put your case to the admins or moderators. Don't make it personal, nor is it *your* forum to shape. :)

Reactions: kanecullen89, Blackwhite, Pulp84 and 1 other person
And everyone has the same freedoms to express them.

If you think a great wrong has been done, then put your case to the admins or moderators. Don't make it personal, nor is it *your* forum to shape. :)

Ironically, I can remember clearly when BH had a go at you for your constant negativity/opinions/observations (delete as applicable) towards the S3.
Remember this before trying to make other look like they're being overly sensitive, thank you.

You do really wind people up sometimes but I'm sure it's not intentional.

Folks, it's the weekend, get out and enjoy your car.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and sunscreemer
I might go wash mine. It's not been washed since November .......... :eek:

Anyone wanna try get this back on topic...... Again....? :)

Yes I love my S3, when I test drove one I managed to have it for quite a while and had a thorough drive.
I certainly found its handling limitations (some may say issues) so my buying decision was made with my eyes wide open, plus I've been on this site for quite a while. So when my pride and joy arrived (unlike some) I knew exactly what I was getting and didn't have any nasty surprises so consequently wasn't of the opinion I bought the wrong car, I knew what I was getting.

So as I say I really like it, I have a few niggles but nothing of any consequence, I didn't buy one of the many other cars I tried because the S3 suits me and my requirements.

Reactions: Nikon, Bristle Hound, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
As I said I would earlier in the thread, I've been out this morning to really test my machine out, and actually I'm pretty impressed with my S3 SB to be honest.
So I've driven back and forth umpteen times down a 7 mile length of twisty undulating road with high and low speed turns, this road is notoriously bouncy (in any car) and has some horrible bumps, if you cruise down it at about 45-50 you are reasonably comfy but still get reminded how bouncy the road is. I've absolutely beasted the car at speeds in excess of 100mph down it today and although I was bouncing all over my seat at points the car never bounced away from where I was directing the car to go, i expect i would have to be going a lot quicker than any sane person would dream of to have the car bounce out of my planned driving line, I found it to be quite forgiving actually. Now the roads are bone dry so grip and traction were immense, literally cornering like on rails, although the tyres scream like little bitches on the tighter slower turns. It does become slightly unsettled if u brake particularly hard (i mean a full on slam on) by where the car crabbed ever so slightly which was easily rectified, I did have the esc completely off at this point and wasn't able to replicate the action with the esc in sport or fully on (so i guess it does its job as it should). ok so I didn't like the steering in comfort when I first got the car, I thought it felt too light for my daily style of driving but after this little test I can confirm that for a full on thrashing on twisty bumpy roads comfort is far superior to dynamic steering, like people have said you don't quite get all the feedback you need in dynamic! General cruising I still prefer dynamic, it just feels smoother, and I generally like heavy steering. I feel very safe in the car and I have a lot of confidence in it now, it is hugely capable! In many peoples experience a certain vw car may feel better and more planted around the bends and at absorbing the bumps, that may well be true and if it is then so be it, but I can categorically say that there is no problem at all with the S3, it is ****** ****** good, the only possible negative i could put out there if forced to is it's so refined it could be seen as a bit less exciting than it could be, but then u cant very well shun a car for doing exactly as its supposed to (if that makes sense), my old astra vxr was arguably the worst car at cornering and absorbing bad roads but by god it was fun, the s3 feels so tame compared to that but I have no doubt in my mind that it would run rings around my old vxr, u just don't realise it in the s3 which i'm sure is going to get me in trouble at some point with speeding;) Don't get me wrong it's not the be all and end all and if u are enthusiastic enough u will find the limits. And There was a time today where I absolutely poo'd myself, proper white knuckle moment involving a crest in the road that dropped off a lot more than I expected - literally had to push my lungs back down my throat whilst realigning the car from side to side, not he cars fault though and testament to how forgiving it is!

Full test was done with the engine and gearbox in Dynamic, gearbox in S mode and occasionally manually changed down the gears using the paddles (that way u avoid the slight delay when u leave it to do its own thing, the kick down is good but changing down manually ensures u can take off out of a corner far quicker) - also good as u feel more involved.

So for people waiting for or considering getting an S3 and reading that people are not happy, fear not! You will be more than happy with an s3.

And if you're bored of this thread - stop opening it to read it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikon, steeve, DAYTONA 500 and 10 others
As I said I would earlier in the thread, I've been out this morning to really test my machine out, and actually I'm pretty impressed with my S3 SB to be honest.
So I've driven back and forth umpteen times down a 7 mile length of twisty undulating road with high and low speed turns, this road is notoriously bouncy (in any car) and has some horrible bumps, if you cruise down it at about 45-50 you are reasonably comfy but still get reminded how bouncy the road is. I've absolutely beasted the car at speeds in excess of 100mph down it today and although I was bouncing all over my seat at points the car never bounced away from where I was directing the car to go, i expect i would have to be going a lot quicker than any sane person would dream of to have the car bounce out of my planned driving line, I found it to be quite forgiving actually. Now the roads are bone dry so grip and traction were immense, literally cornering like on rails, although the tyres scream like little bitches on the tighter slower turns. It does become slightly unsettled if u brake particularly hard (i mean a full on slam on) by where the car crabbed ever so slightly which was easily rectified, I did have the esc completely off at this point and wasn't able to replicate the action with the esc in sport or fully on (so i guess it does its job as it should). ok so I didn't like the steering in comfort when I first got the car, I thought it felt too light for my daily style of driving but after this little test I can confirm that for a full on thrashing on twisty bumpy roads comfort is far superior to dynamic steering, like people have said you don't quite get all the feedback you need in dynamic! General cruising I still prefer dynamic, it just feels smoother, and I generally like heavy steering. I feel very safe in the car and I have a lot of confidence in it now, it is hugely capable! In many peoples experience a certain vw car may feel better and more planted around the bends and at absorbing the bumps, that may well be true and if it is then so be it, but I can categorically say that there is no problem at all with the S3, it is ****** ****** good, the only possible negative i could put out there if forced to is it's so refined it could be seen as a bit less exciting than it could be, but then u cant very well shun a car for doing exactly as its supposed to (if that makes sense), my old astra vxr was arguably the worst car at cornering and absorbing bad roads but by god it was fun, the s3 feels so tame compared to that but I have no doubt in my mind that it would run rings around my old vxr, u just don't realise it in the s3 which i'm sure is going to get me in trouble at some point with speeding;) Don't get me wrong it's not the be all and end all and if u are enthusiastic enough u will find the limits. And There was a time today where I absolutely poo'd myself, proper white knuckle moment involving a crest in the road that dropped off a lot more than I expected - literally had to push my lungs back down my throat whilst realigning the car from side to side, not he cars fault though and testament to how forgiving it is!

Full test was done with the engine and gearbox in Dynamic, gearbox in S mode and occasionally manually changed down the gears using the paddles (that way u avoid the slight delay when u leave it to do its own thing, the kick down is good but changing down manually ensures u can take off out of a corner far quicker) - also good as u feel more involved.

So for people waiting for or considering getting an S3 and reading that people are not happy, fear not! You will be more than happy with an s3.

And if you're bored of this thread - stop opening it to read it lol

Superb write up Tony and thanks a million for taking the time :)

For me you've completely hit the nail on the head, you can't expect any car to morph between a Bentley and a Lambo at the switch of a button without some compromises. The S3 does it as well or better than pretty much any other car in this price bracket.

Admittedly I haven't had the opportunity that current owners have had (there's a limit to how much you can do on a test drive) but from the dozens of reviews and videos I've studied I personally have not doubted my purchase for one nanosecond. Possibly an advantage of being a bit older and wiser but I gave up making crappy, ill-informed decisions (particularly large puchases) a long time ago............. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1982
Just for full disclosure @Tony1982 - you're not testing your car in the UK?

(Nothing against your write up, just to be clear this wasn't done on UK roads?)

@Tony1982 Nice write up!!

i don't get people who would buy a 30k car and not like it. If you pre ordered before release and there was no test drive available then fair enough. For anyone else, feel sorry that you are regretting your decision but think you should've had proper test drives before signing anywhere.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Tony1982
Don't. Say. The. Same. F*****g. Tedious. Messages. All. The. Way. Through. A. Thread. Where. I'm. Trying. To. Read. The. Views. Of. Other. People. On. This. Forum. It's. Just. Plain. F*****g. Rude. And. There. Are. Other. Users. On. Here. With. Views. Too. You. Know.

On many occasions lately I've felt like posting similar or even worse but now I've got to the stage where i just can't be bothered .:meeting:

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Simon L
On many occasions lately I've felt like posting similar or even worse but now I've got to the stage where i just can't be bothered .:meeting:

Yep, it's a community like any other. Whether real life or internet based there will be some you instantly identify with and others well, lets just say you wouldn't waste your time ;)

Water off a ducks back is the only way to go :)

I can tolerate views I don't like, but the same view countless times in a thread - yawn!

Its enough to send a glass eye to sleep
Sleeping01.gif

Reactions: Martinbanshee and T-800
Welcome to the Internet Forum :)

annnndddd again ....... Keep to the topic/car, less of the personalisation ;)

This thread is brilliant...most entertaining:jester:

It has almost the same amount of replies as the "metallic rattle" thread....and that was started over a year ago:)

Ironically, I can remember clearly when BH had a go at you for your constant negativity/opinions/observations (delete as applicable) towards the S3.
@Martinbanshee - Your quite correct Martin. However, I got in touch with V8 via PM and we sorted any differences we had out in private thro' the PM system. A far better way than getting perosonal and invoking the Moderators

Maybe there is a lesson there for some other people ...

I can assure you that @veeeight is one of the good guys. If you took the time to get to know him you'd find this out

Remember this before trying to make other look like they're being overly sensitive, thank you.
I'm assuming this comment is aimed at me Martin? :think:

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
Just for full disclosure @Tony1982 - you're not testing your car in the UK?

(Nothing against your write up, just to be clear this wasn't done on UK roads?)

No V8 you're quite right I'm in Germany and I see what you are getting at. (quality of roads by any chance?) To be clear a lot of the roads here in Germany are very similar to them in the UK, and to be sure the whole reason I tested it out on the road I did is because believe me it's a terrible terrible road, and for comparison I often do drive in the UK (I'm from there after all), then on through France, Belgium and Holland to get here, the roads aren't to far different to be totally honest, though people will have you believe so.... Don't get me wrong the roads are generally a little smoother but it's not like a massive day and night difference, then u get the complete other end of the spectrum in some places where the roads are cobbled, I seem to be finding more of them than in UK but obviously u don't put your car to the test on them ones. The only time the roads really drastically improve here over UK is when u hit the motorway or get into the much further southern areas of the country but then they have to be to compensate for heavy undulation and mountainous relief down there.

Last edited: