Do you use your car's sat nav or your phone?

SRRAE

Reaction score
When I was looking for an A4 I wanted to get one with Sat Nav. At the time I didn't know about the 3G Hi and Low versions and to be honest looking not many B8 A4 have 3G Hi in the UK.

The reason I got one with Sat Nav was for convenience it's a lot more convenient not having my phone dangling off my window and over heating as it has to be plugged in when used over a long trip.
Getting the directions showing on the dash, voice navigation coming through the speakers and not having rely my phone signal or battery level, it's reassuring having it in the car. The traffic updates aren't anywhere near as detailed but I feel they are good enough.

Do you use your car's sat nav or do you have it but use your phone instead?

Few months back had my s/w and maps updated to latest one available and still don’t use the cars sat nav as often as TomTom I have.

Hard wired TomTom and phone charger and both are on the dash/windscreen.
TT is right in the bottom of windscreen corner, by the A pillar and phone attached on o magnetic clip just above centre air vents.

Phone is just there for convenience of visible incoming messages. Calls are displayed in dis and MMi screen.
TT has live traffic services and thats what make me choose it over MMI nav with not always available traffic info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi q5 2011 Sat nav is pants you can't even put a 7 digit postcode in .. what good is that to anyone absolutely useless ..i wish there was an update to fix that. So I use my phone which is a pain when u have built in satnav

Google Maps and sometimes waze on the phone. Car satnav there when everything else fails. Directions on Google Maps come through Bluetooth and music quietens while google is giving verbal directions.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

TomTom on my phone for me. Find the traffic to be accurate and the maps are regularly updated. Much better than paying the £1200 option for out of date maps. :)

Use both. Always fire up the Destination in the built in Nav, but then use Google maps also.
Last trip to Derby, the built in Nav wanted to take me a really crap route, so I followed Google maps, got there a lot quicker.

Return journey, both devices showed the same route, after a few minutes driving

The built in Nav uses some weird routes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Waze on my phone on a magnetic holder. Much better than the cars Sat Nav, Speed camera alerts and Traffic etc

Google Maps and sometimes waze on the phone. Car satnav there when everything else fails. Directions on Google Maps come through Bluetooth and music quietens while google is giving verbal directions.

The Bluetooth is very hit and miss for me, sometimes it takes a second for the Bluetooth to kick in and other times it takes over 1 min or at all it comes through. It may be my phone though

The Bluetooth is very hit and miss for me, sometimes it takes a second for the Bluetooth to kick in and other times it takes over 1 min or at all it comes through. It may be my phone though
We always listen to spotify over Bluetooth, so always connect when we get into car. Both wife and I have Android phones. My HTC 10 is a little flakey compared to her one plus 3t and I do need to search device every now and again to force connect. Hers is much better.

I always just use waze on my phone and then I can use the MMI screen for showing music that I am playing off spotify, Waze is miles better than any built in satnav anyway in my opinion as it live updates all the time from real time information that other waze users send and it gathers.

Reactions: L80EWY
I've tried waze a few times and it does do some crazy routes, for instance it said there was solid traffic ahead so wanted to take me around it, and rejoin further down the road. I could clearly see it was clear ahead so ignored and then instead of just rejoining the same route it decided to recalculate and send me on another completely random route. So went back to Google Maps.

What phone holders are people using? I've got a cheap one that clips to the vent, but it moves about as the vent moves

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Belkin vent mount, doesn't move around too much either. And great for holiday hirecars too.

Yosh vent mount from amazon. Looks good and phone stays put .

Audi sat nav is pants.

I use a pitaka carbon fibre case and there magnet mount and it's baby on... They even do a wireless charging mount

I use the sat nav to navigate and the phone to make phone calls (well, OK, the phone is also my internet connection for the 3G HI). Novel, I know, but I'm a simple person at heart ;)

Reactions: jdp1962
got a mmi 2g so maps way out of date. Use Google maps on my phone with tom-tom speed camera app on top of the maps