Do I need vcds ?

NIGE28

Reaction score
Hey all just wondering if I need to get vcds or is it something to live without ?

If you like to do jobs on your car it's worth having if your the type that takes it to the garage when you think something wrong then no
Me personally I have the cheap £10 eBay one don't get all the benefits of the full version butt will do till I invest in the full vcds

Can you use it to adjust certain settings aswell rather then just reading error codes ?

It can only scan a few s sections can't do a full scan can't use measuring blocks it is pretty limited I've used it for testing 4wd and clucth switch and alarm/central locking

Maybe I won't bother then. Going to look into fis control or mfa-xp instead

I wouldn't with the cheap eBay version but the full version is definitely worth it you can recode locking/ radio /test level motors use measuring blocks log data runs and other things with it but I think the fis just gives fault codes don't know if you can recode and you can play snake

Last edited:
Ignore half of that the fis does more than I thought although you can't recode things with the fis like you can with vcds

if you are gonna stay with vag, yeah defo worth it, i dabble so i only borrow other peoples when i need to

It is worth it if you are staying within the vag group, alternatively have a look at Carista, you can do alot with it now and it's always evolving, it's also alot cheaper.

Depends what you want to do. This gadget is getting more air time (https://obdeleven.com/) and at £50 is worth a punt. It does your diagnostics and long coding plus some short cuts that are embedded in the apps function. I went for it over VCDS purely down to cost; it may not be VCDS but it's pretty close.