Dislikes

Paul finch

Reaction score
Ok,we all love our s3,we big it up,give it large,but what don't you like about your car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
Don't like the fact I STILL haven't got it after almost 8 months !!!:frown:

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Bells and 5 others
Had mine for a year and don't think there's anything about the car I've found to be annoying tbh! Outside of just general things that aren't the S3 specifically (stone chips seem plenty, difficult tyre size to sauce in an emergency)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Love the car but find the limited standard spec frustrating as a used buyer. LoL.

I mean, not including stuff like folding mirrors and auto dimming mirrors on a car of this value is quite poo!

Reactions: Mythos, Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and 5 others
not including stuff like folding mirrors and auto dimming mirrors on a car of this value is quite poo!
Couldn't agree more on the folding mirrors.....it really is ridiculous that the S3 does not have them when cars costing 15 grand less have them as standard equipment.
My car does have a standard auto dimming rear view mirror though.

Reactions: Kondax and Audi Bairn
Haven’t got mine yet (March delivery) but I think not having a sunglasses holder will be the only thing I dislike!

Lack of advanced key and folding mirrors (Hands were tied when buying from stock as there was nothing left, think I got one of the last decent specs left). And also the fact my trim is plastered with ‘S’ and not ‘S3’ like the PFL.

Reactions: NevMan, Mythos, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Throttle response should be much sharper. Can’t actually think of anything else specific to the car. As with all modern cars I wish paint was more resistant to stone chips

Reactions: Marky79
Throttle response should be much sharper. Can’t actually think of anything else specific to the car. As with all modern cars I wish paint was more resistant to stone chips
That can be fixed using VCDS using the directly controlled threshold adaption, rather than gradual time adaption as it’s defaulted.

Reactions: k.lockU2 and Lehn
Ok,we all love our s3,we big it up,give it large,but what don't you like about your car?

I dislike the lack of feel through the steering.
I dislike the quite numb gearshift, and wish if was better
I dislike the mag ride, and wish it was a passive system
I dislike the SatNav, as my £100 Tom Tom from years ago is still a better system.

But apart from the above, It's been the best all rounder I've owned.

Reactions: Paul finch
Reactions: glasgowdubber
Love the car but find the limited standard spec frustrating as a used buyer. LoL.

I mean, not including stuff like folding mirrors and auto dimming mirrors on a car of this value is quite poo!

Can I also add parking sensors to this? Not even rear parking sensors!

The only other gripe, and I don’t know if this is just mine, the center console just above the gear stick feels quite lousy built. Just touching the side with your leg makes it creak? Would like to know if anyone else has this actually!

Apart from that I love it!

Reactions: Marky79

The only other gripe, and I don’t know if this is just mine, the center console just above the gear stick feels quite lousy built. Just touching the side with your leg makes it creak? Would like to know if anyone else has this actually!

Apart from that I love it!
Definitely, another travesty! Ridiculous really. Isn’t it?

Edit: And yes, centre console creak is a thing, Sadly.

Reactions: Chris.D and Paul finch
Silly software glitches like the * button forgetting it’s function annoy me and the lack of feel through the steering wheel, I knew that before buying though.

Overall it’s a great package really, wouldn’t take much to make it even better but then it would step on the RS3’s toes, ex noise of course.

Reactions: JohnM100 and Audi Bairn
Water dripping on the seats when the doors are opened.
Clutch biting point too far up the pedal
Cheap and nasty Quattro badge above the glove box.
Cheap chrome on the exhaust tips
No heated windscreen.
Temperature gauge a £1400 extra.
Software issues that Audi don't seem interested in fixing.
Sat nav even worse than the PFL

But to be fair, there is far far more that I like about the car than I can find to dislike.

Reactions: Ormesome and Marky79

Just saying...none of the above were standard on my Cayman S.....I would have even had to pay for a rear wiper if I wanted one.

Reactions: AdamInKent, NevMan and Jcbmally
Water dripping on the seats when the doors are opened.
Clutch biting point too far up the pedal
Cheap and nasty Quattro badge above the glove box.
Cheap chrome on the exhaust tips
No heated windscreen.
Temperature gauge a £1400 extra.
Software issues that Audi don't seem interested in fixing.
Sat nav even worse than the PFL

But to be fair, there is far far more that I like about the car than I can find to dislike.
£1400, jeezo!

Rear parking sensors are standard on my S3.
I wish the camera was too....you don't realise how good this is until you have got used to having one then don't have it on your next car. :(
To be fair though a reversing camera is a cost option on most.

Rear sensors were a cost option on the initial batch of FL’s, pretty sure it was £450 which is an absolute urine take.

Reactions: Chris.D and Ron240
Rear parking sensors are standard on my S3.
I wish the camera was too....you don't realise how good this is until you have got used to having one then don't have it on your next car. :(
To be fair though a reversing camera is a cost option on most.
Yeah I was thinking this yesterday, can't imagine being without a camera again...
-
I don't really have any major dislikes.. I suppose as others had said, some of the features you don't get as standard are a bit of a joke... folding mirrors, my S3 didn't come with a dimming rear view mirror, direct tpms to know tyre pressures would be nice etc etc.

Water coming in when opening the door is an annoying one. Otherwise, I don't know... I generally really like the car.

Reactions: Ron240
I don’t like music whether radio or mp3 playing when I start the car even if I have muted this before switching off. I find this a very annoying intrusion. I don’t like entering destinations in the gps. Either the handwriting recognition is utterly hopeless and can’t tell an I from a 1 or an S from a 5 or there have to be multiple irritating confirmations if the destination was sent from My Audi. Other than the computer annoyances it’s a great car. The steering could feel more involved but I’ve learned to live with it. I’m a creature of unassisted rack and pinion so no power steering will please me.

I’m a creature of unassisted rack and pinion so no power steering will please me.
I can remember when power steering was reserved for high priced luxury vehicles, then later became an optional extra on more mainstream models
That was fine back then....but with ever increasing wheel and tyre sizes to what we have today, I wouldn't want to even attempt driving a modern car without power steering. :openmouth:

I can remember when power steering was reserved for high priced luxury vehicles, then later became an optional extra on more mainstream models
That was fine back then....but with ever increasing wheel and tyre sizes to what we have today, I wouldn't want to even attempt driving a modern car without power steering. :openmouth:

Absolutely. Can still be hard work to park even on skinny cross-ply tyres let alone modern wide radials. Despite that, the lack of feedback with the S3 steering is a common criticism

I dislike... lack of steering feel, but I've learn't to drive around it. Not a huge fan of the S-Tronic gearbox as it can be a bit dim-witted when moving off or cruising on the motorway. Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with it. As people on here will no doubt know, it took me a very long time to gel with it.

I do like how adjustable the chassis is in these conditions with less than new tyres on. In the summer, with new boots, the grip levels are immense.

Reactions: Jassyo06
nothing bothered me much, apart from the forgetful function button on the steering wheel, lack of heated windscreen (biggest complaint for me), and the exhaust pipe tips....

but these three complaints, and the fact I drive a 09 defender now with nowhere near this kind of tech, never turned me off the car.

Reactions: Sandra
I’m for ever pressing the hide button for the screen every time I start the car why can’t it stay where is was when I switched off the ignition ie down.

I’m for ever pressing the hide button for the screen every time I start the car why can’t it stay where is was when I switched off the ignition ie down.
I read a while ago that if you hold down the volume dial by the gearstick , then it will turn the MMI off so when you get back in the car, the screen wont come up. But I suppose you loose radio/bluetooth etc too. But if you are doing this every time you get in the car, are you even using the MMI? or just have it on the same station 24/7

Reactions: Ron240

And having to switch off the stop/start every time I start the car. Yes, yes, I know- VCDS, but you shouldn't have to resort to doing your own fiddling with the software.
How long before we can't even switch off the stop/start?

Reactions: SuperKid
What I don't like about the S3 (this an S3 only thread yes?) is that it is about twice the price of a "basic" A3.

If I decided to spend £40k on a car I would want it to really be different to the cheapest models in the range.

Yes, it has 4wd and a more powerful engine but it has the same sized infotainment screen, the same music system and they still charge extra for basic equipment included for much cheaper cars.

What I don't like about the S3 (this an S3 only thread yes?) is that it is about twice the price of a "basic" A3.

If I decided to spend £40k on a car I would want it to really be different to the cheapest models in the range.

Yes, it has 4wd and a more powerful engine but it has the same sized infotainment screen, the same music system and they still charge extra for basic equipment included for much cheaper cars.
The rs3 owners probably say the same comparing to an s3.

I suppose it's a good thing if half of the dislikes are cost related. At least that means the cars are half decent ha.

Reactions: KenL and Sandra
I read a while ago that if you hold down the volume dial by the gearstick , then it will turn the MMI off so when you get back in the car, the screen wont come up. But I suppose you loose radio/bluetooth etc too. But if you are doing this every time you get in the car, are you even using the MMI? or just have it on the same station 24/7
I have the virtual cockpit and can scroll through most MMI options without needing the pop up screen.

Reactions: oli356
Software Issues - Biggest thing that annoys me, the MMI software is poor. My A3 had similar issues. I use Apple CarPlay daily and wow. My A3 it used to crash all the time. On my S3 now it's better but has a new glitch! I put a song on Spotify, start driving and the music just stops! I have to switch to radio then back to CarPlay and hit play, from then on it's fine!

I agree with what others say that more things should be standard on the S3 too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Software Issues - Biggest thing that annoys me, the MMI software is poor. My A3 had similar issues. I use Apple CarPlay daily and wow. My A3 it used to crash all the time. On my S3 now it's better but has a new glitch! I put a song on Spotify, start driving and the music just stops! I have to switch to radio then back to CarPlay and hit play, from then on it's fine!

I agree with what others say that more things should be standard on the S3 too.

To be fair, I have come across some new rs3’s with just standard equipment. Quite shocking how folding mirrors on a car at that price point isn’t standard either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I have come across some new rs3’s with just standard equipment. Quite shocking how folding mirrors on a car at that price point isn’t standard either.

I got my S3 used 6 months old, Black Edition. It has the folding with auto dim mirrors which I didn't really look for but the car had what I wanted (Tech pack with virtual cockpit).

I worked out the car was about 37500 brand new, If I was spec the car brand new I would have added things like high beam assist, rear view camera, (maybe advanced key but keyless car theft...) and the parking system plus for the front sensors.

I got my S3 used 6 months old, Black Edition. It has the folding with auto dim mirrors which I didn't really look for but the car had what I wanted (Tech pack with virtual cockpit).

I worked out the car was about 37500 brand new, If I was spec the car brand new I would have added things like high beam assist, rear view camera, (maybe advanced key but keyless car theft...) and the parking system plus for the front sensors.

I bought a pfl s3 over a year ago. Really good spec including adaptive cruise, lane assist, high beam assist, blind spot assist, parking system plus with front and rear sensors, b&o sound and some other little goodies. Only thing I would like adding would be pan sunroof, apart from that, it’s got everything I would want.

My car was supposedly a demo car so that explains all the spec.

Reactions: SuperKid