disabling 8P quattro for DYNO run

JJ.Foulds

Reaction score
So im looking to get a dyno sorted to test what power Rick actually got out of it, and there is a place local to me but only with a 2WD dyno.

Im just doing a checking up question really, i can disable the quattro by the fuse right? or if not what is needed to be done to disable it?

Thanks!

If you pull the fuse that will do the job.
Just remember to replace it after!

Or you can unplug the switch under the rear seats

Or just run it with the handbrake on. That disables the haldex too

Now by unclipping this connector does this cause the ecu to power just the front wheels or just the rears, if it cuts the power to back is there a way of cutting power to the front instead as I'd love to see what this can do in RWD

Does not work like that.
Clutch can allow the rear to be connected, not take all the power.

You seem to be confusing the mechanical and electrical aspects of the car.

Now by unclipping this connector does this cause the ecu to power just the front wheels or just the rears, if it cuts the power to back is there a way of cutting power to the front instead as I'd love to see what this can do in RWD

The A3 and variants and TT and variants are powered by the haldex awd system.

The haldex works with a drive shaft basically connected to the front axle. The rear haldex diff and controller can take some of the power through the driveshaft and connect it to the rear wheels.
The system can ever only sent a maximum of 50% engine power to the rear wheels. Never any more.

The system is electronically controlled and that's why power can be taken from the haldex controller, and therefore no power is removed from the front axle so it's front wheel drive.
It can never be rear wheel drive unless you change the whole system. You can get certain controllers that can make the power ratio 50:50.

This is a completely different system than the A4 and above that uses Torsen mechanical centre diff for the awd system, described by some as true quattro.
The Torsen system can transmit the majority of power to the rear.

Reactions: Mario8P
The A3 and variants and TT and variants are powered by the haldex awd system.

The haldex works with a drive shaft basically connected to the front axle. The rear haldex diff and controller can take some of the power through the driveshaft and connect it to the rear wheels.
The system can ever only sent a maximum of 50% engine power to the rear wheels. Never any more.

The system is electronically controlled and that's why power can be taken from the haldex controller, and therefore no power is removed from the front axle so it's front wheel drive.
It can never be rear wheel drive unless you change the whole system. You can get certain controllers that can make the power ratio 50:50.

This is a completely different system than the A4 and above that uses Torsen mechanical centre diff for the awd system, described by some as true quattro.
The Torsen system can transmit the majority of power to the rear.

You sir are a legend thankyou for that info! So my only question left is when running quattro normally are my rear wheels being powered 50% all the time or does it change depending on other things like traction, speed, how hard i am accelerating?
And is it safe to run FWD every now and then or can it lead to damaging the system?
Cheers guys for the answers

You sir are a legend thankyou for that info! So my only question left is when running quattro normally are my rear wheels being powered 50% all the time or does it change depending on other things like traction, speed, how hard i am accelerating?
And is it safe to run FWD every now and then or can it lead to damaging the system?
Cheers guys for the answers

No problem at all.

The haldex system sends 5-10% power to rear wheels during normal (non slip) driving.

If the system detects slip on the front wheels it will then send the power to the rear.

Running front wheel drive won't cause any damage to the system. Some peoples haldex system doesn't work and they don't even know about it for months/years until they notice excessive front wheel spin in snow or adverse weather conditions.

Reactions: JamesA3V6