Disable headlight washers only?

MattDC

Reaction score
Seeing as the washer fluid res on the 8V appears to be tiny, and runs out ridiculously quick in this weather, I was wondering if you could disable the headlight washers so you're only pumping fluid onto the windscreen? In my Lexus it was as simple as pulling a chunky fuse out and presto, they no longer functioned. Then I could put it back in for the MOT. But looking on the fusebox diagram HERE (for my 2013/14 [63 plate] model) I couldn't see one specifically for the headlight washers only.

Not sure disabling it is a good idea as it’s required to stop dazzling of oncoming cars.

You don’t have to hold the wash stalk - just a quick pull & release and you get a one second screen wash spray. Holding for ~3 seconds and you get headlight washers too.

If someone with VCDS or other tool is near you, the count of windscreen washes can be increased before the headlight washers come on. IIRC it’s set to 6 from factory.

Not sure disabling it is a good idea as it’s required to stop dazzling of oncoming cars.

You don’t have to hold the wash stalk - just a quick pull & release and you get a one second screen wash spray. Holding for ~3 seconds and you get headlight washers too.

If someone with VCDS or other tool is near you, the count of windscreen washes can be increased before the headlight washers come on. IIRC it’s set to 6 from factory.
I didn't know that, I've always just held it. Will try a quick pull. And that's why I was looking for a fuse to remove, so I don't have to find someone with VCDS to disable it and then re enable it for MOT, then disable again.

Its also an MOT failure if they are not working at your test
I know, that's why I mentioned about putting the fuse back in for the MOT.

On my old b7 the windscreen and headlight washers were on the same fuse and relay. I put a switch in the engine bay to break the earth to the headlight pump which meant I could switch them back on for MOT time. Invariably I forgot though - but it never failed.

If they actually cleaned the lights fair enough but IMO they're only good for emptying the reservoir and making a mess of the bonnet. Been meaning to do the same with the 'new' car for the last 6 years and might get round to it soon - crap screen washer nozzles constantly freezing means I'm using undiluted wash at the mo which will get expensive.

Nothing to do with headlight washers but definitely to do with constant refilling of reservoir; I got bored with that three A3's ago and ripped out the monster three nozzle jets and replaced them with fan type jets from a Golf, swapped them on to the new car each time, must have saved thousands in winter screenwash without any change to screen cleaning.

Reactions: MattDC
Default if you don’t pull and hold the stalk is every 7 wash of windscreen it will trigger headlight washer.
I wish it was a bit smarter or some on screen setting on the MMI. This cold weather we have had has been a pain. The headlight washer triggers and the flaps/nozzles get stuck and doesn’t retract back into the bumper.
similar issues with folding mirrors but at least I can stop that on the MMI.

Annoying it doesn't have a dedicated fuse like my Lexus did then. I find when I just briefly pull the wiper stalk the wipers swish but no fluid comes out until the second or third pull of the stalk, and often needs a few quick pulls to get enough out onto the glass to clean it. Would be so much easier to just pull and hold it until I'm done cleaning the glass, and not have it spray all over the lights (which as SteveMcB says, doesn't actually clean the lights)

You can switch the headlights off before spraying and then back on, to avoid triggering the headlight washers :tongueout:

Reactions: rvtb101
Annoying it doesn't have a dedicated fuse like my Lexus did then. I find when I just briefly pull the wiper stalk the wipers swish but no fluid comes out until the second or third pull of the stalk, and often needs a few quick pulls to get enough out onto the glass to clean it. Would be so much easier to just pull and hold it until I'm done cleaning the glass, and not have it spray all over the lights (which as SteveMcB says, doesn't actually clean the lights)

Tagging @toooldforboyracing purely for the double-entendre

You can switch the headlights off before spraying and then back on, to avoid triggering the headlight washers :tongueout:
That's thew only way I've been doing it - not the greatest when on a country lane at 1 in the morning though

Reactions: pxuL
Carista lets you disable the headlight washers. It also lets you adjust the delay until they are activated, the time they activated for and how often they are activated - so you could just set it to only activate after a longer pull of the screenwash (max time is 2.55 seconds) and also reduce the time they spray for rather than completely disable them.

Carista lets you disable the headlight washers. It also lets you adjust the delay until they are activated, the time they activated for and how often they are activated - so you could just set it to only activate after a longer pull of the screenwash (max time is 2.55 seconds) and also reduce the time they spray for rather than completely disable them.

I had Carista, sent it back. I don’t really want to pay a subscription indefinitely to be able to turn things on and off on my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with headlight washers but definitely to do with constant refilling of reservoir; I got bored with that three A3's ago and ripped out the monster three nozzle jets and replaced them with fan type jets from a Golf, swapped them on to the new car each time, must have saved thousands in winter screenwash without any change to screen cleaning.
I was literally just talking to a friend about how the VW jets are much better than audi's 3 nozzle system, done a google search and came across this lol!
Are the VW fan type jets a direct replacement on the audis?

I was literally just talking to a friend about how the VW jets are much better than audi's 3 nozzle system, done a google search and came across this lol!
Are the VW fan type jets a direct replacement on the audis?
Yes they’ll fit straight in and same connectors, I tried the ones from my wife’s mk7.5 with heated jets. I’d already fitted the A6 fan spray with jets though so won’t be changing.

I have been looking at this upgrade myself. 4G0955987A and 4G0955988A the part numbers? Google shows these as £20 each? Is this the only ones that will work? A6 C7 units?