Dippy's S5

This is reassuring @Dippy . A C63 beater for half the price is not a bad deal at all :D

Also, have you tried left foot braking or perhaps planning on or not. It is a different experience altogether and getting used to of using left foot takes longer than it does with the paddles. You lose less time between the braked and the shifts, slightly in my opinion but enough to overtake
Overall, I completely agree with you on that 'M' is on how these cars should be driven - not as responsive when stock but a different beast after the remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't so far, but maybe when I feel fully competent with M I might...

Reactions: V6_Man
Your car is a credit too you and looks meticulously maintained and modified!

I've just read through and may have missed it but can I ask what size pully you went for?

My next job is to get into MRC for stage 2 and I'll be going for the dampened crank pully formpiece of mind.

If I am not wrong there is no statistical evidence to prove that dampened improves anything. I am sure Dippy will confirm that too. One might suggest that the engine feels smoother at idle but that's about all we know. MRC have been using solid lightweight oversize crank pulleys for years without any problems. The performance gains are negligible if any or maybe not. I'd rather spend this money on rear ARB, CR-15 strut brace, transmission and street density mounts to make the car feel smoother overall.

If I am not wrong there is no statistical evidence to prove that dampened improves anything. I am sure Dippy will confirm that too. One might suggest that the engine feels smoother at idle but that's about all we know. MRC have been using solid lightweight oversize crank pulleys for years without any problems. The performance gains are negligible if any or maybe not. I'd rather spend this money on rear ARB, CR-15 strut brace, transmission and street density mounts to make the car feel smoother overall.

Your right, there isn't any evidence at all on this platform....yet!

The thing is, the damper is there to dampen harmonic vibrations which are so small that you wouldn't realise they exist. Harmonic vibrations do cause premature engine wear on any engine, not just this 1 and if I'm not mistaken a v6 by its own design is a very unbalanced layout.

If you only plan on keeping your car a few years then I'd say go with a solid pully but I tend to keep mine a long time so for piece of mind I'll be going for dampened

@RyanJonS4 - I have the 189mm Vdamper kit - I asked MRC what size their standard "high torque" pulley is so that I could order the same size. I thought that this would be the safest since I have the CREC engine, and we know from APR's testing that the supercharger clutch can slip under high load. I know that MRC have tested the CREC engine with a 189mm pulley but I don't think they have tried a bigger one yet.

Based on my dyno results there is no difference in performance with damped vs solid. I do think the idle is smoother but only slightly. Indeed its all about being prepared to pay extra in order to mitigate an unknown risk. But that was an easy decision for me: I had my B5 S4 for 13 years because it was such a great car. Perhaps I should have changed it sooner because I love my S5 even more. It is quite likely that I will keep it for a long time, so having the peace of mind that my crank pulley is damped is worth the money I spent.

Reactions: RyanJonS4 and V6_Man
@RyanJonS4 - I have the 189mm Vdamper kit - I asked MRC what size their standard "high torque" pulley is so that I could order the same size. I thought that this would be the safest since I have the CREC engine, and we know from APR's testing that the supercharger clutch can slip under high load. I know that MRC have tested the CREC engine with a 189mm pulley but I don't think they have tried a bigger one yet.

Based on my dyno results there is no difference in performance with damped vs solid. I do think the idle is smoother but only slightly. Indeed its all about being prepared to pay extra in order to mitigate an unknown risk. But that was an easy decision for me: I had my B5 S4 for 13 years because it was such a great car. Perhaps I should have changed it sooner because I love my S5 even more. It is quite likely that I will keep it for a long time, so having the peace of mind that my crank pulley is damped is worth the money I spent.

How long did delivery take?

My car is in at the minute for kw v3's then after that I'm ready for stage 2 so a call to MRC is needed. Mrc do an even bigger solid one but don't tend to disclose they're pully sizes, I think I'll probably be going as big as they are willing to go on the pully along with their charge cooler upgrade as well.

I still own my b6 s4 which I've had for 10yrs and still love driving but it's worlds apart from my 8.5

Mine took 3 weeks, but Issam was away for a few days and I think that caused a delay. He told me that he makes them to order.

I just asked Ben directly what size their standard pulley is so that I could order the same size Vdamper and he told me direct. If you want to go for the biggest one then I'm sure he'll give you the size. Issam will do 203mm and 206mm for his standard price but will do custom sizes for extra.

I thought I had a gearbox fault. The lever wouldn't move out of P. Fortunately my 14 year old daughter in the passenger seat suggested that I needed to have the engine running. Then it worked!

Despite my lack of mental performance the car's performance is still fantastic. I really can't think of any car I'd have instead of it.

Reactions: jdp1962, Bristle Hound, V6_Man and 4 others
I know that I'm no different from a lot of you in being paranoid about where to park. So since I have had my car (2.5 years now), when it has come to holidays and long term parking, I have decided to park my S5 in my own garage and take my wife's 2009 Nissan Qashqai instead, even though its not too generous on boot space - sometimes my daughters need to share the back seat with a suitcase in the middle. But it was time to lose that car - the clutch has been slipping and a new one with flywheel is more than a grand - and now she has a brand new 2017 Nissan Qashqai. Not only do I now have to be fair and use my car instead of her new one, but also the boot space is worse - Nissan have raised the boot floor with a couple of pointless compartments and now we might only get 2 suitcases in it!

As I noted at the start of this thread, my last car was a B5 S4 avant. That was from when my daughters were babies so I had to have an estate and that car was a faithful and fast load-lugger. When it came to get a B8.5 to replace it, I just didn't want another avant. Looking at the S4 avant and the S5 sportback I simply had to have the latter. I convinced myself that the sportback would be a great compromise between looks and practicality. For the past 2.5 years I have not regretted my decision, far from it, because the S5 looks so much better than the S4, especially the avant. However until now I have not had to test the practicality. We've booked our next holiday so it was time to find out how well my S5 will lug suitcases to the airport.

So I got 4 suitcases down from the loft to find out. They are all 4-wheel 'spinners' so take up some space. We have a 77cm and 67cm set which are expandable, and a pair of 64cm non-expandable ones. I tested quite a few ways to fit them in, and was almost ready to conclude that I can only get 3 in. However by removing the parcel shelf and the screen thing that clips to the lower part of the tailgate window, and stacking the suitcases I got all four in, without even squeezing them to close the tailgate. I'm rather pleased about that, and very pleased that I don't need to risk the interior by having a suitcase on the back seat. However I'm not pleased that I have to risk the S5 in an airport car park, although I knew I would have to some day.

With an early morning outbound flight and a very late return flight I'm inclined to pay extra for the short-term car park deal. I have no experience of the Heathrow T5 short term car park. Can anyone tell me how generous (or not) the parking spaces are compared to the long-term park?

Hey @Dippy I would have definitely helped you here but changed my mind as soon as I reached the line where you decided to call S4 an ugly car. Sorry mate, can’t help anymore!!!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Just kidding . The parking spots are a bit tight and unless you get a space right in the corner where you can park literally next to a wall it is a bit tricky. I too am paranoid when it comes to such parking spots hence the reason I booked a cab last time I went on holiday in August.

Reactions: scotty76
Parking bay pic FYI
62876127524a9fd9ed3c1014a8583a11.jpeg

I would have thought a cab would be the solution. Gatwick is expensive from Berkshire but Heathrow usually seems competitive.

It is £80 from Oxford, I am sure it will be competitive from Marlow and surrounding areas for @Dippy. I have only used B’ham once and I was ‘ignorant’ back then about Airport Car park and their Meet and Greet horror stories. Not anymore. Too much stress even with my wife’s old B7.

Thanks Tash - I didn't expect a photo!

I hope it was of help. Have a safe trip mate

FIS Control MMI is due to launch in April. Fortunately my S5 is now old enough for me to be less sensitive about pulling the trim apart than I was when I fitted the dashcam. I'm hoping I won't have to pull the MMI apart in order to get to the connectors, but I suspect I will.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
Warranty claim?

I recently posted either here or on A5OC about the capacity of the windscreen wash, because I seemed to have had to fill up the container more often. Well now after leaving my car at Heathrow T5 car park for 10 days I now have proof that there is a leak. The car is in for a service at MDM Technik tomorrow and Mark will check what he suspects - the leak is from one or both headlight jets - he has replaced many. I have an MOT booked at Audi Basingstoke on Friday and have asked for a diagnosis. The warranty runs out on Saturday.

I have never had to make a car warranty claim so I shall stay open-minded. Will having the fault diagnosed the day before the warranty expires allow my claim to be valid? I should think so but maybe the dealer will disagree. Then there's the matter of my stage 2. Watch this space...

P.S. I have decided to have my used gearbox oil analysed. Partly because of this cost, but mainly because I don't think it is worth doing, I won't be getting the engine oil analysed this time.

Reactions: jdp1962 and V6_Man
I believe you would have the washer jet covered under the warranty. It will definitely be the washer jet leaking as it is too strong to hold on to the pressure. I had my driver side replaced and sadly it happened two months after the warranty expired. So, had to pay silly money.

You should be able to check the leak by running the washer with lights on otherwise it won’t wash the headlights. Come back after few minutes and you’ll see a puddle to one side of the car. My search highlighted that it is the driver side which is usually the culprit.

FIS Control MMI is due to launch in April. Fortunately my S5 is now old enough for me to be less sensitive about pulling the trim apart than I was when I fitted the dashcam. I'm hoping I won't have to pull the MMI apart in order to get to the connectors, but I suspect I will.
Let us know how that goes, won't you, @Dippy? :)

Warranty claim?

I recently posted either here or on A5OC about the capacity of the windscreen wash, because I seemed to have had to fill up the container more often. Well now after leaving my car at Heathrow T5 car park for 10 days I now have proof that there is a leak. The car is in for a service at MDM Technik tomorrow and Mark will check what he suspects - the leak is from one or both headlight jets - he has replaced many. I have an MOT booked at Audi Basingstoke on Friday and have asked for a diagnosis. The warranty runs out on Saturday.

I have never had to make a car warranty claim so I shall stay open-minded. Will having the fault diagnosed the day before the warranty expires allow my claim to be valid? I should think so but maybe the dealer will disagree. Then there's the matter of my stage 2. Watch this space...

P.S. I have decided to have my used gearbox oil analysed. Partly because of this cost, but mainly because I don't think it is worth doing, I won't be getting the engine oil analysed this time.
I don't think there should be any issue about the timing of the fault. As you say, the Stage 2 might be an issue but hard to see why.

I had my driver side replaced and sadly it happened two months after the warranty expired.
This seems to be one of the "known" faults that I didn't know about. I bet the dealers don't know about it either - like they don't know about s-tronic gearbox faults!

This seems to be one of the "known" faults that I didn't know about. I bet the dealers don't know about it either - like they don't know about s-tronic gearbox faults!
My warranty runs out on 30 June this year. Methinks I'll check my washers. :)

I believe they know and so does Audi. When I booked in mine the Service Manager said, 'it is very common with jet washers and we replace them a lot". And to which I replied it should be free to replace if it is a known fault and that so many get replaced every week. I did get it replaced at dealership prices though - for us the 'commoners' the replacement cost is in the region of £350 - £375 (don't remember the exact cost but I can check) and I paid £220-ish as I had to chase Oxford Audi 9 times for 4 weeks before they ordered the parts . Talk about customer service.

I don't think there should be any issue about the timing of the fault. As you say, the Stage 2 might be an issue but hard to see why.

I don't think stage 2 would be an issue as none of the 'hardware' changes to the car affect where the washerjet is located. You can access it only by removing the wheel and the inner arch liner.

I believe they know and so does Audi. When I booked in mine the Service Manager said, 'it is very common with jet washers and we replace them a lot". And to which I replied it should be free to replace if it is a known fault and that so many get replaced every week. I did get it replaced at dealership prices though - for us the 'commoners' the replacement cost is in the region of £350 - £375 (don't remember the exact cost but I can check) and I paid £220-ish as I had to chase Oxford Audi 9 times for 4 weeks before they ordered the parts . Talk about customer service.
That would have hacked me off. I think I'd prefer them to deny knowledge of a fault rather than admit that it's a known fault and say "tough - your warranty expired"!

MDM Technik did not give me a quote, but advised me that the cost of the part is about £50...

Last edited by a moderator:
That would have hacked me off. I think I'd prefer them to deny knowledge of a fault rather than admit that it's a known fault and say "tough - your warranty expired"!

MDM Technik did not give me a quote, but advised me that the cost of the part is about £50...

The part number for the right washer jet is W8K0 955 102 D and the cost was £53.21. Attached is the receipt showing what I paid for I am sure Mark will sort you out.

656e44ff9fe8e0c43c242327f4fc1af0.jpg

Mark confirmed that it is my driver's side headlight washer jet that is leaking, and that it is about 90 mins labour to replace. I suspect that Audi Basingstoke won't be able to do the work on Friday so I'll need to get them to confirm the fault in writing so that I can get it done later under warranty.

Does anyone know that if a diagnostic concludes that a fault is covered under warranty, the cost of the diagnostic is waived?

They didn't charge me for diagnostics but only parts and labour.

The cost of my service - engine oil/filter and gearbox oil/filter and pre-MOT inspection - was £474.41.

Mark said he took the oil sample both from the start of the drain and the end in order to mix in any sediment. However the oil looks pretty clear to me (although since the car has only done 12706 miles I guess it should). I'll post the results of the analysis next week.

At less than 13K have I got the record for the earliest gearbox service?

The cost of my service - engine oil/filter and gearbox oil/filter and pre-MOT inspection - was £474.41.

Mark said he took the oil sample both from the start of the drain and the end in order to mix in any sediment. However the oil looks pretty clear to me (although since the car has only done 12706 miles I guess it should). I'll post the results of the analysis next week.

At less than 13K have I got the record for the earliest gearbox service?

@Dippy, did you get the DSG serviced earlier than recommended? I ask because mine is a 14 plate, has done 26k miles and I was thinking of getting it serviced. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm a end-May 16 plate. I'm on 21k miles and will get the gearbox serviced next time I have an oil change (last was done at 14k IIRC with Millers Nanodrive). Recommended service on DSG is 38k (don't remember seeing a time limit), but I suspect with a tuned car, you'd do well to get it serviced a tad earlier.

Reactions: Meemo and V6_Man
There are three main arguments:
1) The service intervals on a tuned car should be reduced due to the extra stresses.
2) The DL501 has a history of problems so the reliability data on which Audi calculate their service intervals should be considered suspect.
3) Whilst mileage is a good basis for service intervals, the age of the car cannot be ignored.
Thus with 2 reasons to consider that 38K is too long for a tuned S5, I then considered the car's age. At 3 years of "normal" use it would definitely be in the window for a gearbox service, so I decided that the fact that I have only done 13K is not relevant. I'm not going to risk my gearbox for the sake of a few hundred pounds.

So yes, Tash, I would recommend you get yours done before the 38K point. My oil analysis may shed some light on whether or not it needed changing.

Cheers mate. I will give Mark a call in next couple of weeks and book in the car. Don't want Audi to touch it, not the gearbox by the incompetent staff here at Oxford Audi.

MOT complete with no problems. Offside headlight washer jet diagnosed faulty and will be replaced under warranty.

Tash - on the dealer healthcheck report it advised that my gearbox should be serviced at "from 20K to 36K". It's the first time I have seen Audi advice differ from the 38K in the service book. I don't know if this is Audi UK advice or just dealer advice, but it seems to be another reason why we should be getting our gearbox services done early!

Reactions: scotty76