Detailing advice

Quick question....

I gave the car its first detail a week.or two ago. Do you give your cars a full detail everytime you wash? Or do you detail say every two months and just wash in between?

If I just wash it will it remove the previous coating of wax?

Cheers people

If you have put wax on already and just want to give it a wash just use a ph neutral shampoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again I didn't get any notifications for these replies!

Ok maybe not a full detail, full detail for me maybe who's just moved on from a sponge and fairy liquid! Ignore that question!

At the moment I'm using the meguiars quick wax and applying it after every wash but I'm only washing every 4 weeks or so I just don't get the time anymore and it breaks my already dodgy spine!

Hoping to pick up a das 6 kit with the Scholl gear soon

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audib5fan
Again I didn't get any notifications for these replies!

Ok maybe not a full detail, full detail for me maybe who's just moved on from a sponge and fairy liquid! Ignore that question!

At the moment I'm using the meguiars quick wax and applying it after every wash but I'm only washing every 4 weeks or so I just don't get the time anymore and it breaks my already dodgy spine!

Hoping to pick up a das 6 kit with the Scholl gear soon

As long as you are happy then that’s all that matters can’t go wrong with megauirs have fun with the das 6 don’t rush take ur time

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
Hello people,

Quick question, would you buy a used das 6? Also would it be worth getting the plus? Not sure how often I'm going to get the opportunity to use it since I barely get time to have poop in peace these days and I'm no crazy detailer like the rest of you so didn't want to shell out for something that won't get much use but I do want to give it a go.

Cheers

I had a used DAS6 Pro. It was fine. Likely thing to go wrong (as it's used) are the motor brushes. You should be able to pick these up cheaply if needed. Check the cable as it goes into the machine for looseness if you can too. That could be the bit that goes with a lot of use. Just the general condition of the case will show how much use it's had too.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-spares

basically you've answered your question No as it's very time consuming

Reactions: Scotty75
Thanks for the replies, my question was really asking if the das 6 was a hard wearing bit of kit that can go on for sometime without breaking or If it was best to buy new only. I've seen a few going second hand and most likely have been used a few times and then left in the garage so are practically brand new.

I'll keep an eye on what's available.

I understand the process is time consuming which is why when I do get one I will likely attack a certain area at a time rather than the whole car in a day.

Thanks for the replies, my question was really asking if the das 6 was a hard wearing bit of kit that can go on for sometime without breaking or If it was best to buy new only. I've seen a few going second hand and most likely have been used a few times and then left in the garage so are practically brand new.

I'll keep an eye on what's available.

I understand the process is time consuming which is why when I do get one I will likely attack a certain area at a time rather than the whole car in a day.
You may well get a bargain buying used but pads and compounds are not cheap mate, it's a expensive hobby
The DAS 6 Pro plus is by far the best variant to get

Reactions: T-800
The one I'm looking at has supposedly been used once, the 6 inch backing plate is still in its packaging and comes with a partially used bottle of menzerna 800 and 2200. Pads look like they could do with a clean but the unit itself looks unmarked for £90

The one I'm looking at has supposedly been used once, the 6 inch backing plate is still in its packaging and comes with a partially used bottle of menzerna 800 and 2200. Pads look like they could do with a clean but the unit itself looks unmarked for £90
That's a reasonable price mate with the polish, Menzerna is a very good brand i just got some 2800 myself a few ago, personally speaking l would just spend another £65 and get a das 6 Pro plus, small bottle of S20 and green chemical guys Hex Logic Quantum pad

Reactions: T-800 and Seanchadwick2k3
Well the kit I seen on eBay got snapped up quickly, looking at some of the kits online and have a few more questions.

Would you consider the bare minimum setup for doing this would be the DA, polish, pads and tape? I've seen people mentioning a wipe down with something (forgot the name), is this a must? Would qd do the trick?

If buying new with the multiple brands of polish available would you say just a bottle of Scholl S20 would be enough and easy to use for a beginner? I understand it's not a heavy cutting polish but I've also heard some are easier to apply it easier to remove than others.

I don't have a thickness gauge, what's the chances of me ruining it provided the paint hasn't been corrected before?

I can see the lower part of the rear bumper above the diffuser has been sprayed and a sloppy clear coat. Would you avoid touching this?

And my final question for now which may be a stupid one! As I understand it there is a limited amount you can take off before you end up going through the clear coat so once you've done your paint correction what does your DA do for the rest of it's life? Apply waxes?

Thanks in advance!

Well the kit I seen on eBay got snapped up quickly, looking at some of the kits online and have a few more questions.

Would you consider the bare minimum setup for doing this would be the DA, polish, pads and tape? I've seen people mentioning a wipe down with something (forgot the name), is this a must? Would qd do the trick?

If buying new with the multiple brands of polish available would you say just a bottle of Scholl S20 would be enough and easy to use for a beginner? I understand it's not a heavy cutting polish but I've also heard some are easier to apply it easier to remove than others.

I don't have a thickness gauge, what's the chances of me ruining it provided the paint hasn't been corrected before?

I can see the lower part of the rear bumper above the diffuser has been sprayed and a sloppy clear coat. Would you avoid touching this?

And my final question for now which may be a stupid one! As I understand it there is a limited amount you can take off before you end up going through the clear coat so once you've done your paint correction what does your DA do for the rest of it's life? Apply waxes?

Thanks in advance!
Scholl S20 is forgive me... .Novice proof ie it won't dust its a well lubricated polish so you've no chance of burning through the clear coat especially with a Das 6 dual action polisher.
Scholl S20 doesn't even have enough power in its abrasives to even harm clear coat as it's a diminishing abrasive ie cuts at the start then moves on to polishing/adding gloss at the end, so if you just work the compound slowly across the panel and let polisher and compound do the work, no pressure is needed, your hands are only there to guide the machine
1.das 6
2. Two Hex logic GREEN Quantum pads
3. Five 350gsm Korean microfibre buffing cloths.
4.Bilt hamber cleansing fluid 500ml bottle
5, A 500ml bottle of S20 compound
6 Finally a relegated toothbrush to clean the compound of the pad your using after each polishing set

Reactions: V6_Man, T-800, Seanchadwick2k3 and 1 other person
So many combos available! Put the order together and annoyingly the discount code doesn't work on the das 6! Assuming this is because it's already supposedly discounted from £120 to £98. They only have the red 900 watt version so currently having a look on slims.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Slims first time order discount also doesn't seem to discount the most expensive bit! How rubbish!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Damn i thought it would have worked on the machine as l got £30 off my Flex dual action machine but £98 is a good price for the 900 watt version from In2detaling most other machines out there ain't as powerful at that price

Sorry got a few more questions before I bite the bullet.

I thought that das 6 was made by a particular company but now understand what it stands for, although the blues ones online do actually say das 6. A lot of firms have their own machines like slims, dodo juice etc.

Should I be going for a particular brand or are they all pretty much the same but in a different colour and name?

Is it worth going for one with 2 backing plates or will one end up not getting used? If so do I need a set of two pads in each size?

Thanks again people

Sorry got a few more questions before I bite the bullet.

I thought that das 6 was made by a particular company but now understand what it stands for, although the blues ones online do actually say das 6. A lot of firms have their own machines like slims, dodo juice etc.

Should I be going for a particular brand or are they all pretty much the same but in a different colour and name?

Is it worth going for one with 2 backing plates or will one end up not getting used? If so do I need a set of two pads in each size?

Thanks again people
All varieties of the DAS6 are similar all made in China,companies just put their own sticker on, yeah 5-5 inch backing plate and 3 inch will be perfect to maximise the machine potential

Reactions: Audib5fan, Seanchadwick2k3 and V6_Man
Finally put the order in! Ended up getting one off eBay, das 6 pro with 3, 5 and 6 inch backing plates, a lake country and Scholl polishing pad and pretty much full bottles of menzerna 400 and ultimate compound. According to the listing it's only been used to polish a set of headlights.

Going to order the green hex pads and the Scholl S20 etc separately.

Thanks for all the advice!

Reactions: Audib5fan, Jassyo06 and V6_Man
My das 6 arrived today, didn't expect them to be so heavy! It's in perfect condition and also had an extra 3 inch backing plate, wool pad and foam pad. Not sure what brand or grade they are but I believe the wool pads are for cutting?

Can't wait to get to work but it's going to take me a while before I can use it as I don't get much car therapy time and the whole thing needs claying first.

Reactions: Audib5fan, V6_Man and Jassyo06
My das 6 arrived today, didn't expect them to be so heavy! It's in perfect condition and also had an extra 3 inch backing plate, wool pad and foam pad. Not sure what brand or grade they are but I believe the wool pads are for cutting?

Can't wait to get to work but it's going to take me a while before I can use it as I don't get much car therapy time and the whole thing needs claying first.
Start with bonnet it's the easiest panel to polish on a car
2ft x 2ft sections to start with even tape the section off so you'll see the difference afterwards , as you get more adept at with machine you'll be to polish larger areas at a time plus you'll not need to tape off the sections either it's a doddle mate

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3 and V6_Man
Well Just put the rest of my order in on polished bliss taking advantage of their black Friday offer. What the deal with the price of buckets?! 20 quid for a mega bucket and a grit guard! They just look like old paint tubs! I'll stick with my Wilko's buckets thanks!

Reactions: Audib5fan
Well Just put the rest of my order in on polished bliss taking advantage of their black Friday offer. What the deal with the price of buckets?! 20 quid for a mega bucket and a grit guard! They just look like old paint tubs! I'll stick with my Wilko's buckets thanks!
In2detailing.co.uk are the chemical guys ones for a £9-95

I’m with you on that think my bucket was like 2 quid or something and you can get grit guard in Its ridiculous how much they charge

You can always buy the megs or chemical guys sticker and fake it! I new this detailing gear wasn't cheap but it's a bucket! Cost more than 2 polishing pads!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audib5fan
You can always buy the megs or chemical guys sticker and fake it! I new this detailing gear wasn't cheap but it's a bucket! Cost more than 2 polishing pads!

True so like when you need 2 buckets gonna Cost you like 40-50 quid just for them buckets and guards silly really anyway enjoy detailing your car

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
True so like when you need 2 buckets gonna Cost you like 40-50 quid just for them buckets and guards silly really anyway enjoy detailing your car

You dont have the right detailing wash buckets probably because you've not got the guns to lift them when there full of water lol

You dont have the right detailing wash buckets probably because you've not got the guns to lift them when there full of water lol

Or maybe I’m not millionaire like you bud but yeah I don’t work out

2 x 20 Litre buckets with grit guards can be got for £25 never ever wash a car without a grit guard....whats the point of getting into detailing/paint correction if dont follow the basic fundamentals of it all

2 x 20 Litre buckets with grit guards can be got for £25 never ever wash a car without a grit guard....whats the point of getting into detailing/paint correction if dont follow the basic fundamentals of it all

I got grit guards I just ain’t got the branded buckets that’s all fella

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3 and Jassyo06
I got grit guards I just ain’t got the branded buckets that’s all fella

l use the cheap buckets as in the 2 buckets/grit guards for £25 bangers and they last just as long as the more expensive ones Fella.....English thing using the term Fella....Eh....???

l use the cheap buckets as in the 2 buckets/grit guards for £25 bangers and they last just as long as the more expensive ones Fella.....English thing using the term Fella....Eh....???

Not much washing will be now anyway get dark to quick now yeah I thought you might like the term fella not bad as some of the words you come up with

Reactions: Kakatk
I suppose 25 for 2 isn't too bad but then it's just a bucket! I could get some trade magnolia paint half the house and have a free bucket at the end of it! One site was selling the lids on their own for a tenner! What a joke! Plus I need lots of buckets since I have no out door tap or hose! Got a couple of grit Guards to go in my cheapo buckets.

Reactions: Audib5fan