Dash cam - Mobius

A4 SJC

Reaction score
Has anyone hardwired one of these yet?

I've got one sat here ready to go in the car, but interested to see what the best way of going about this would be!

Also, if anyone can recommend the best settings to use and how to actually get them to stick on the cam itself (using a mac)

I've currently got the mobius dashcam from my previous car, just waiting for a replacement screen mount before I install
If I remember I will take pictures of the install for you

Reactions: A4 SJC
I run a mobius in mine, do not have it hard-wired yet as an overnight charge covers my daily drives but it would be nice to not have to remove and recharge everynight.

I've currently got the mobius dashcam from my previous car, just waiting for a replacement screen mount before I install
If I remember I will take pictures of the install for you

Cheers Chris, pics would be a great help

I've already got a bracket to install it, it was more the wiring side I need info on.

I've just ordered one along with the hardwire kit and the lens extension cable. The plan at the moment is to mount the body of the camera tucked away inside the sunglasses holder behind the mirror (hopefully taking power from within the interior light unit somewhere) and then have the lens mounted somewhere down at the base of the rain sensor shroud with the cable hopefully hidden inside the existing shroud on the screen . Until I get it all to size up I'm not sure if the plan will work or I'll end up just mounting the entire thing normally, but a nice little project to keep me occupied one weekend.

Tried my new Mobius for the first time today just temporarily mounted for the time being. I'm impressed with the video quality but I have an issue in that whenever the camera is on, it interferes badly with DAB reception.

Has anyone else had this issue? I tried it running on battery as well as via a USB power lead and it was the same, so the source is the camera itself not the power lead I'm using.

That seems to be a very common problem. I have read of quire a few complaints for the same problem from owners on here. I don't think there is a fix. It's either one or the other!

I don't get any interference from mine, although I only listen to BBC Radio 1 and Radio 1 Extra on the DAB. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Locoblade
Hmm, so I had a bit of a test when I got home from work today. The DAB interference occurs when there's a USB lead connected to the Mobius, but strangely whether the USB lead is plugged into power or not, there's still interference.

• If I unplug the USB from the power supply end I still get interference
  • If I unplug it from the Mobius end the DAB signal comes back, even though the Mobius is still running, it's almost as though the Mobius is using the USB lead to broadcast it's interference!
  • I've also tried it plugged in with a USB cable with a ferrite shield on the Mobius end and that's no better.

Here's a vid I recorded that I'm planning to send to SpyTec who I bought it from on Amazon, see what they say

Running a completely different make of dash cam but I don't get any interference off mine with the DAB. Plugged in usb - cigarette lighter end, into female cigarette lighter socket to piggy fuse holder to fuse board.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I just been comparing tonnes of dash cams, and the interference thing is really common, some newer models the manufacturers have listened and started making upgraded wires with better protection you can buy from them.

Ferite Clip as mentioned will do it fine :) I use a ferite clip on my Aux cable as when i am charging the phone i get hideous interference, but the clip pretty much eliminates it.

I am hardwiring mine next week, got a Blackvue 2 channel one, but wireing shouldnt be much different, live, ignition and earth...
Below video is a B8 being hardwired (skip first few minutes, he drones on about bmws!) also note he is a cowboy wrapping the wires around old fuses, dont do that but get some dual fuse spurs like this
26708484955_d759b539d8_o.jpg

the above is presuming you are adding on a power controller if you use Parking mode, for which you wire the cam into the controller and that measures if the car battery drops too low and shuts it down.

Cheers yep got a fuse box piggyback connector and a hardwire power adapter that senses battery condition and cuts if the car battery voltage drops too low, so I have the option of running it all the time.

I tried the shielded lead today on the commute and although its not perfect it does actually improve things to the point that I "only" lost DAB for about 20% of the journey rather than 90% like before, but I've got an RMA for the camera so will get it swapped out to see if the replacement is any better before I start trying to engineer out the interference.

Just thought I'd update this as I've found a fix for the DAB interference.

I sent it back and got a replacement but that did exactly the same, once again massive DAB disruption but again only interfering when the USB lead was plugged in to the Mobius, regardless of whether it was plugged into the USB charger or not.

When I got the replacement though I also ordered the super capacitor which replaces the battery and makes it run cooler (but obviously with no run time when unplugged). Fitting that has completely cured the interference issue so I assume the circuitry on the Li ion battery is whats causing the problem whenever the USB lead is connected to it.

Thats now given me my enthusiasm back to fit it all properly so a project for an upcoming weekend I think.

Reactions: sixpot
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Thanks @Locoblade will wait and see how you get on. I'm currently charging mine overnight in the house but would prefer a hard wired solution. Just makes life easier!