Dane's Mk2 daily

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Evening gents!

I've been uming and ahhing about getting a cheap runaround, I've had an Mk2 in the past and I've been missing it for some time. Problem is most are stupidly priced and didn't fall in to the 'cheap runaround' section like my old 8v gti did, that is until... this popped up on pistonheads

37268741.jpg

56ff4cf1.jpg

For £600 smackers! a quick phone call and a few days later the old girl is mine.

Low on coilovers and surprisingly sharp to drive considering she's done 199,048 miles! Much better than my older, lower mileage 8v. So this weekend was the first opportunity I had to give her a well deserved clean.

I started off by removing the ugly monobrow that makes her look a bit sad.

Before

e01f8f0c.jpg

5 seconds later

eb15696c.jpg

Instantly better IMO, cleaning time and some before pics

1eb8b55c.jpg

d30b80db.jpg

94c268ed.jpg

You can probably see that there is no paint protection at all.

So I got on with the clean
2 bm wash
Tardis
Super resin polish
Extra gloss protection.

46273e1f.jpg

1dbde001.jpg

1500bc57.jpg

7c6c6408.jpg

0bcfb2e8.jpg

Not too bad I don't think, but Some obvious problems that presented themselves, the passenger door is a different colour and rusty and previous owners have been idiots, just look at this on the drivers door

5aa04e66.jpg

:roll:

But its not too obvious from more than a metre a way so ill live with it and just get a couple of doors from the breakers and see which ones closest colour wise. Oh and the interior is in great condition for the miles!

be50f3fe.jpg

I do love an old golf

Mk 2 Golf and an RS4,nice garage you have Dane

Cheers dude, hopefully no one will steal this one lol

Where is that then Dane, that's not at your pad!

Good work though, a good clean done the world of good there :)

Thanks mate, it's at the girlfriends pad

Just took the old girl for a spirited drive,

Man I love it! Edging ever closer to 200k and I she just takes a good revving and corners so well, even pops on change down with a standard zorst.

So much fun to drive, completely different to the rs but all the better for it.

I think she needs a good airfield/track day must resist the temptation to do this though!

8d545401.jpg

I still have the seats and everything...

The car is looking amazing Dane. Its the best colour for a golf. :) x

Sooo with a bit of spare time I've started, with help from my good friend, to spruce the old girl up, plus the MoT is due soon and there's a couple of things that need sorting.

First of all the bumpers been put back on straight
The front brakes have been overhauled
The horn is now working
New wheels and tyres have been purchased
And the machine polishing has begun!

This has started with the drivers door, which has seen some, uh, paint... Lol. It started today looking like this

155c0a3a.jpg

4c9af52d.jpg

As you can see its terrible! I think it's been broken into in the past and whoever did the repair didn't repaint the door properly and has just sprayed over the old paint and lacquer...

We started with the wet and dry

b1c38af8.jpg

First 800 grit, then 1200 then 2500 as there was a lot of paint to get through, this took a few hours, this was about an hour in...

dff03767.jpg

Then a DA polish with wolfs grade 5 then 3.

4f9c973f.jpg

Which after a whole day left the door looking a like so

c83f4af3.jpg

Such a massive improvement over how it looked, proper chuffed with it! Unfortunately I need a new head lamp though as this happened somehow.

a8725be6.jpg

More to come over the next week!

old golfs always turn my head, nice car and look forward to seeing the build of your cheap DD run around progress

Cheers bud! It won't be perfect but it'll hopefully look a lot better :)

Anyhoo, carrying on, when we cleaned out the barn we got dust everywhere so she needs a good clean before continuing the machine polishing which will happen on Thursday.

But today was mainly taken up by fitting the new wheels and raising the car up to sit properly.

So the old wheels, 14x6.5 et33

ecd0fcad.jpg

The new wheels 15x7 et24

b947da1b.jpg

764ebeb1.jpg

7baca727.jpg

They fill the arches really well, but the car was too low to even turn the wheel! And Safe to say the coilover adjusters were seized so it took me a whole day to get the fronts sitting right, pretty happy with how it sits at the front.

Rears coming soon!

Also this happened the other day

11ed4e52.jpg

Shame I missed the big 200k though