Cylinders in coolant tank

dg-1984

Reaction score
I was testing the freezing point of my Coolant and when I checked in the tank there was what looked like 2 small filters that were free to move about and also what looks like either a temp sensor or level detector.

Anyone know what these are and if it's normal?
Cheers.

Screenshot 2016 12 23 22 19 34

The 2 stiff wires are the level sensor, never noticed filters in there myself but the loose one shouldn't be loose I guess.

Can't for the life of me recall what them are for!!

They are silicate cartridges, supposed to make the coolant more anti-corrosive. They were added to some high performance engines since the G12 coolant was silicate free. Not needed anymore according to my dealer as the new G13 again contains silicate.

They are silicate cartridges, supposed to make the coolant more anti-corrosive. They were added to some high performance engines since the G12 coolant was silicate free. Not needed anymore according to my dealer as the new G13 again contains silicate.
Thanks, so best to remove then if not needed or just leave them in there?

Thanks, so best to remove then if not needed or just leave them in there?
Just leave them in, won't do any harm regardless of what coolant you have. Mine were packed up in all kinds of dirt so removed them while cleaning the reservoir, didn't really matter as I was gonna fill the cooling system with fresh G13 anyway :)

Reactions: dg-1984