Cruise control retrofit question (with DIS question too)

Grangey.

Reaction score
Hi all,

So i figured its about time I got Cruise fitted to my tdi 130 sport given ive decided Im going to keep it now until it dies (new job gets me doing about 25k per year so no point in going for another car when I cant fault this one and know its great for all purposes!).

So started doing some reading up on it and I was hoping someone can help me out

Ive read this:
Cruise Control Retrofitting (8E) - Ross-Tech Wiki

and im trying to establish if Im likely to need a new steering wheel control module. Now as mine is the TDI130 sport it has the 3 spoke NON multifunction wheel- now looking at that list Im inclined to believe this means I have the right module for it already- but other places seem to say basically unless you have a mfsw youl likely need a new module.

Can anyone confirm if my assumption is correct?

On a side note, Im not sure if its related but Im also considering getting DIS enabled- can someone tell me whats involved in this? Does it just need something enabling through vcds or something or does it need additional parts?

If any member on here is perfectly capable of doing either of the above do let me know, Im based in Oxfordshire but I literally travel all over the UK for work in my car so happy to sort a member out some cash for sorting either of the above for me...

Thanks
Grangey

For dis you'd need a wiper stalk which has the buttons on the end to change DIS options etc.

As for the steering wheel module, i'm not too sure other than knowing that you need one that ends in a prefix that ISN'T s or f. If the one you have ends in s or f, you'll need a better module. Do you have VCDS/ Vagcom? If so, you can scan the car to see which you have.

Reactions: Grangey.
The page is misleading (probably down to limited American models available). Recently installed Cruise in my tdi 130 sport which already had DIS and I had -S SCSM (not cruise capable). Managed to source a cruise capable steering column from ebay for £58 :)

Either you take the column apart and do a part number check or you get VCDS on it. An unofficial lead (ebay) and VCDS Lite Free Trial will tell you what SCSM you have but you WILL need a registered copy of VCDS Lite/VCDS Full to code the cruise and dis after installing all the hardware.

Have a read of this guide for what's involved (not my guide but can't find the original location)

My guess is your SCSM is a -S or -F (why install tech that isn't being paid for by the original owner?).

I'm in Swindon, Wilts and would be happy to assist (I have VCDS Lite Registered)

Reactions: Grangey.
as above the easiest way if you don't have vcds is to get the top column off - you need a long torx bit / driver and the two screws underneath - you should see the part number on the top rear of the SCCM.

If you need a new one look for the q or the r suffix from the b7 - as they are on most if not all b7's (scrapped / broken on 'bay) and they all work once recoded to the vin of your car (in vcds)

I have full vcds but am in lincs!

here's my post which may help:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...assis/177459-dis-cruise-done.html#post1760229

Oh yes don't forget that the DIS stalks are different for saloon and avant and you need the lower cowl or to do the cuttting for the cruise stalk (as my post above)

cheers
And

I had a good read of your post, archemist, before butchering my lower cowling so thanks! I did notice on my cowling that there was an "outline" on the inside for the cruise stalk so i followed that when cutting. I can only guess it's from the production line moulding process. Didn't do the neatest job but I can't see it from where i sit! :laugh:

Hi Grangey,

99% you will need a new module as advised by others. I am in North London, and can offer both the DIS and Cruise install. PM me if interested fella.

All the best.

Heres a boring little update for you,

Just spoke with Audi and gave them my VIN number and they confirmed the module fitted to my car is the "N" module so looks like I wont need a new one :)

Yeah cant believe it really as I was half expecting to have to fork out for one! It was more that the fact I had the "N" with my 3 spoke sport wheel co-insides with the information in my link in my first post that I wanted to share my findings.

Also wanted to let people know that its probably quicker picking up the phone to their local audi and giving them your VIN number to confirm your module number than taking apart the bit around the wheel lol :)

You do, I didn't. That's only a 50/50 so far :laugh:

Still worth getting VCDS on it before you start and you're gong to need access to it to code it all anyway.

Hi Grangey,

Got your PM fella, but before I quote you up, I would suggest you physically check your module part number, either with VCDS or by removing the upper cowling.
Although, on Audi's system it says "N" they can be wrong. Basically. if your current module plays up, then this is what part Audi would supply you with.
For example, if you had a B7 they would then supply you with the "Q" module.
I talk from experience mate, as I have done many cruise and DIS retrofits, and customers are often left annoyed for taking Audi's word as gospel!

If you can get hold of a long shaft T8 torx screwdriver, then you can undo the two small screws under the cowling, lift the upper cowling and then check the part number of your module.

Unless you had a MFSW or a DSG wheel, which you have neither, then as said I am 99.9% you do not have the correct module.

Once you check your module, then I will be happy to price you up. If you fancy a drive over to me, I will also be happy to check your module out for you.

Cheers

Reactions: Audi Doodah and Grangey.
Hi Grangey,

Got your PM fella, but before I quote you up, I would suggest you physically check your module part number, either with VCDS or by removing the upper cowling.
Although, on Audi's system it says "N" they can be wrong. Basically. if your current module plays up, then this is what part Audi would supply you with.
For example, if you had a B7 they would then supply you with the "Q" module.
I talk from experience mate, as I have done many cruise and DIS retrofits, and customers are often left annoyed for taking Audi's word as gospel!

If you can get hold of a long shaft T8 torx screwdriver, then you can undo the two small screws under the cowling, lift the upper cowling and then check the part number of your module.

Unless you had a MFSW or a DSG wheel, which you have neither, then as said I am 99.9% you do not have the correct module.

Once you check your module, then I will be happy to price you up. If you fancy a drive over to me, I will also be happy to check your module out for you.

Cheers

This is one modification I am glad I completed on my car, as I do near the same amount of miles for work and its very handy! .. I agree with Danny though, I contacted Audi before completing mine and they advised I had the correct steering module, but when I took everything apart to confirm it turned out I didn't. So I sourced the steering module from this seller on Ebay and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.

Audi A4 b6 steering wheel column module cruise 8E0953549N Elektronikmodul | eBay

Reactions: Dannykn9 and Grangey.
Ah no that's the trim Pahaha guess I didn't explain the bit I needed very clearly to the mechanic haha

Ha, good effort!

Show him this pic and it's the forward-most white label

IMG 20130525 185542