Crosswinds - do you feel safe in your A3 8V FL at highway speeds?

MirekJ

Reaction score
The thread title says it all. What is your experience? I wonder if it's only my experience and because of my conditions (A3 Limousine, TS860 winter tyres, etc.)

So far I can say that my A3 is pretty much susceptible to crosswinds on highways. Don't feel 100% safe there at speeds of 80mph/130kph. Don't know if this could be because of winter tyres, will report back when I switch to summer tyres.

Strange you mention this. I had a long maiden return run a couple of weeks back from Merseyside to Devon. I was surprised at feeling crosswinds more in the Audi than in my previous brick like Skoda Yeti.

Colin

Well I suppose this goes down to the type of road and the wind.

But 80 mph for me is more than comfortable in 'good/average' weather on summer tyres. I've been on a bridge over water at 50mph where you can feel the wind, but the road is that speed for a reason anyway.

Can't say I've ever been concerned whilst driving really though because of crosswinds. If needed, just gotta slow down.. Same as I would for bad rain etc.

I've done 140 mph before and the car still felt pretty good, was no wind though.

Reactions: Kondax
Never once noticed any crosswind influence when I had a A3 saloon to any other car I owned. If the OP's car is then I suspect an issue or the winter tyres maybe.
Mine was perfectly stable at 80mph+...

Reactions: Jassyo06
never had any issues when I had my FL S3 or PFL A3, ploughed along motorways in rain on summer tyres and never noticed crosswinds feeling worse than any other car I've driven....

my current vehicle on the other hand...can get a bit dicey if you get past 70

Never had any issues with the S3... it's pretty stable at speed even with crosswinds.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The thread title says it all. What is your experience? I wonder if it's only my experience and because of my conditions (A3 Limousine, TS860 winter tyres, etc.)

So far I can say that my A3 is pretty much susceptible to crosswinds on highways. Don't feel 100% safe there at speeds of 80mph/130kph. Don't know if this could be because of winter tyres, will report back when I switch to summer tyres.

I understand where you are coming from, recent weather in North East England has been very gusty every now and again, at high speed on motorways i do feel the car moving with crosswinds and on high level / exposed bridges. But i think this is the same case for any car really - all cars will move with strong side winds. My s-line still feels rooted to the road regardless!

agree, I was in that area last weekend, M6 Cheshire warnings were up on the 'smart' section and as for the A55 …. glad didn't have to go as far as Anglesey!
Could feel the S3 being ' lent on ' but is wasn't pushed too much.

It was very noticable when my tracking was out which made the car wander about and tram line a bit anyway. not so much with the tracking fixed