Creaking S3

Peter1201

Reaction score
Over the past couple of months, my car has developed a creaking from the off-side rear. ( Sept 2017 FL Sportback). It began when going over poor surfaces and has now developed to speed bumps and even slight undulations.

I spoke with the dealer 6 weeks ago when the car was in for another issue, but they were unable to locate anything. Since then it has become more prevalent and I visited them again last Thursday when a technician drove with me around the dealer's premises (they have a couple of speed bumps) and they heard the creaking. They looked around the car, fiddled around with a couple of things and went around again - still creaking.

The car is now booked in for a proper inspection on 9th October (I can't do it before) but I was disturbed by a comment from on of the service managers who casually told me they've had three other cars with a similar issue and they haven't been able to find the problem. He is now aware I was not impressed.

Has anyone else had anything like this?

could be your rear shock mounts.....have heard thats quite common....tell them to check that
also loose parcel shelf....Google around there's lots of rattle and creak stuff out there

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Only one I ever get sounds like it's coming from the drivers door area, no idea where! B&O usually gets rid of it lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
could be your rear shock mounts.....have heard thats quite common....tell them to check that
also loose parcel shelf....Google around there's lots of rattle and creak stuff out there
The rattles don't stop on S3's. I've had mine on recall about 4 times for rattles from every part of the car (PFL). Quality control is a joke.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Had this since day one of ownership it gets far worse when the weather is warmer, sounds like a high pitch squeak as you come off a speed bump

well my rattles are truly starting to piece me off royally....especially after all the suspension stuff i did....then had it in and thought it was fixed....and it still rattles....you read stuff about simple torque bolt tightening, loose seats, parcel shelves, bonnet misfit....i know mine is suspension...but can i find it?! can i fox!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jassyo06
I had a loud creak from the rear left of my A3 sedan for a good few months. Took apart a lot of trims and panels from that area to try and diagnose the noise. The creak comes when going over certain uneven surfaces, especially when it causes the rear suspension to compress. This happens often over speed bumps, or dips in roads.

I finally found the source of the creak, when during one test I purposely left the rear left door closed but latched only to the first click (door isn't fully closed, but latched). I could not replicate the creak over the same roads and speed bumps which always causes the noise before. I concluded the sound is coming from the latch mechanism.

I took some white lithium grease, and manually lubricated the contact surfaces between the latch mechanism and the striker plate. I closed and open the door a few more times, and spread the grease evenly. That permanently resolved the creak for me. It's been 10 months now, and still creak free.

Worth a try as it is literally free if you have some lithium grease sitting around.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Jassyo06 and Rolly12
I've got a creal developed too.

Rear drivers side.

Again when going over speed humps or turning the car sharply (so it rocks).

Fine in a straight line or on smooth surface.

Not annoying me enough to take it to the Dealers just yet - sick of taking the car there to be honest - so will see if it gets any worse.

Mine went in for a horrendous creaking noise I couldn't isolate. Turned out to be a faulty third brake light. Others have had the same issues- facelift s3 saloon

Only one I ever get sounds like it's coming from the drivers door area, no idea where! B&O usually gets rid of it lol

I've got that creak at the moment! Really annoying and I can't figure it out :(

I've recently resolved a noise from that area which I was convinced was either the drivers door or dash undertray / footwell trims, after stripping & insulating both areas & not curing it I eventually traced it to the drivers seat base height adjuster handle vibrating on certain road surfaces. Just placing a finger gently on it was enough to prove it & one small piece of fabric tape on the rear of the handle where it touches the seat trim & I've been rattle / buzz free since. Hopefully that will help someone?

Reactions: The Kendragon
I've recently resolved a noise from that area which I was convinced was either the drivers door or dash undertray / footwell trims, after stripping & insulating both areas & not curing it I eventually traced it to the drivers seat base height adjuster handle vibrating on certain road surfaces. Just placing a finger gently on it was enough to prove it & one small piece of fabric tape on the rear of the handle where it touches the seat trim & I've been rattle / buzz free since. Hopefully that will help someone?
I’ll give that a go and hopefully it’ll go away. Thank you!

Reactions: richinsoton
I’ll give that a go and hopefully it’ll go away. Thank you!
Not a problem & I was totally surprised it was that as it sounded as if it was coming from a lot further forwards as if it was either under the dash or the front door lower speaker grille area. (I think the inner door handle release cable can be a source of noises also if it can move about).

Reactions: The Kendragon
my car is back in again....rattle on left side this time....pretty sure its the front strut mount and/or bearings (from 034)....so am going back to OEM on left side now....then hopefully no more rattles.....unless of course I can still hear the rattle that existed before I did any suspension mods....lol

Reactions: richinsoton
front end strut mounts and bearings back to OEM....still got the rattle....don't think its something loose, just maybe nearly touching....will live with it unless it gets worse...ah well