Coolant bottle cap

Toonsoldier91

It's my birthday
Reaction score
afternoon.

Do the coolant caps have a separate 0 ring seal ?? I’ve just had to top mine up a little and never seen one. I’ve put about 300-400ml if coolant in over 2 years so not a big leak so was thinking maybe it’s evaporating through the cap

When I put the cap back on it got too tight to turn for it to click. So I waited till I had drove a little then it clicked into place no bother

Thanks in advance

Just checked mine. No O-ring on the coolant cap. Seal must be made by the long plastic thread.

Just checked mine. No O-ring on the coolant cap. Seal must be made by the long plastic thread.

Thanks for checking buddy. I’d imagine it would be the same across the range as mines a 2.0 tdi

The cap acts like a pressure relief valve so if the pressure gets too high coolant will come out the cap. You will see the different pressure ratings on the cap. I would assume they would be different for different engines.
If coolant is coming out the cap it could mean a faulty cap. You will see crystallisation around the cap if it’s coming out of there.

The cap acts like a pressure relief valve so if the pressure gets too high coolant will come out the cap. You will see the different pressure ratings on the cap. I would assume they would be different for different engines.
If coolant is coming out the cap it could mean a faulty cap. You will see crystallisation around the cap if it’s coming out of there.

Ok thanks. I didn’t notice anything around the cap area so must be a slight leak else where. Nothing to worry about yet as like I said it’s very very small.