Contemplating swapping the S1 for an RS3 - Views?

willh92

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this as every different sectio will be biased toward their own car, but I'm pretty keen in the next 6 months to swap my S1 for an 8V RS3 (bought the S1 mid Oct '16, so I'd probably change it Oct '17.)

Basically I'm after your, as RS3 owners, views and experiences with the car - it would be my daily ~ 20 miles a day.

Also, anyone made the jump from an S1 to RS3? If so what was the jump in monthly cost, if you don't mind me asking of course! I'm not too fussed about fuel economy or road tax etc.

I love the S1 but I'm slowly falling in love with the RS3, my local dealer has one I've been to look at a few times already! So I need to weigh up changing, based on your views too.

Cheers!

I did the same. No regrets.

RS3 is almost 50% more money than the S1 per month.

If you can afford it then go for it. It's such a more capable car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Radman and willh92
As long as it's got the Dynamic pack, go for it if you can afford it. It's a beast.

Reactions: Radman and willh92
Thanks guys - just went to look at the RS3 at my local dealer again but it's not there!

Just south of Leicester - so my local dealer is Leicester Audi but there are a few dealers within 20 miles of me.

Must have been that 16 plate black one I saw there recently. Not sure how the S1 compares to the S3 Facelift but I'm considering it myself.

Reactions: hallm26 and willh92
RS3 is my favourite ever car, still love it after 18 months and 27k miles. Can't honestly see where to go next it is that good.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Radman, jimojameso, Rs1 and 4 others
As long as it's got the Dynamic pack, go for it if you can afford it. It's a beast.

Why is that? Just for the noise. Or are there other reasons.
I am definitely getting an RS3 and was looking for one with Dynamic Pack and (+Mag Ride? ) for the Sports Exhaust but a couple of dealers have said to me that the car doesn't need it and is rather too loud and definitely droney on motorways with it which kinda put me off.....

Why is that? Just for the noise. Or are there other reasons.
I am definitely getting an RS3 and was looking for one with Dynamic Pack and (+Mag Ride? ) for the Sports Exhaust but a couple of dealers have said to me that the car doesn't need it and is rather too loud and definitely droney on motorways with it which kinda put me off.....
Don't listen to your dealer.
1. You will struggle to sell the car without it.
2. You get the mag ride
3. The noise is glorious! I don't find it droney at all, but if you do, you can switch to comfort which closes the flaps and makes it as quiet as a 1.4 TFSI.

Reactions: Evotion
Drone? Lol they are clueless, just put in comfort or auto on the motorway. Sounds like they have a non dyno pack car for sale ;)

TX.

Reactions: Evotion, Snake Pliskin and AudiNutta
Drone? Lol they are clueless, just put in comfort or auto on the motorway. Sounds like they have a non dyno pack car for sale ;)

TX.

My thoughts exactly. I had a few dealers offer my non dynamic pack cars, claiming it sounded better!

Reactions: Evotion, Radman, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
This is a move I will also contemplate doing, but not for a year or two yet. I think it's a no brainer, as long as the maths stacks up!

Reactions: willh92
for the Sports Exhaust but a couple of dealers have said to me that the car doesn't need it and is rather too loud and definitely droney on motorways with it
My mother in law is droney on motorways, I wish I could put her in comfort mode.

Droney *** what a load of $hi7er !

Audi have pulled off a minor miracle with these cars, especially those with the dynamic pack.

Can sound insanely loud when called for, but on a motorway @ 70 mph they cruise effortlessly and quietly IMO !

Reactions: Terminator x and Radman
Droney *** what a load of $hi7er !

Audi have pulled off a minor miracle with these cars, especially those with the dynamic pack.

Can sound insanely loud when called for, but on a motorway @ 70 mph they cruise effortlessly and quietly IMO !
Slap it into comfort.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Slap it into comfort.

I never feel the need to slap it into comfort ever lol !

First thing I do for every single trip is re-set the car back to 'individual' on the MMI, even for a mile trip down the road, it is 2nd nature now just before turning off start / stop :)

I just miss the deep bass burble otherwise.

The only changing about I do is D or S on the gears and Individual or Dynamic for driving style - NEVER EVER COMFORT :haha:

Second that, start stop off is a must!

Just wondering. Is there an easy way to have the exhaust flaps open at all revs in dynamic but still have them acting as usual when in comfort etc? Other than installing the active valve control mentioned. I'm not comfortable removing interior parts and fiddling with wires in the car :)

Great, thanks guys.
Sounds like he was indeed doing a sales pitch on me... It has the Mag Ride but not the sports exhaust.
Also has the Tech Pack and comfort pack.

But... I do want the sound and want it able to be switched off so you have reassured me and it just needs to go into comfort.. excellent.

Also... the dealer had the car in Comfort when the missus drove it (under orders from me) and the road noise was awful.
Is that just a by-product of the super low profile wide tyres?

Yea road noise isn't great, but you soon don't care with it in Dynamic mode ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding road noise. I just changed to Michelin 4S from the standard Pirellis that came with the car. I feel that road noise is reduced quite a bit and the grip and comfort is awesome.

The OE tyres have sound deadening inside them. I didn't like them though so have swapped to MPSS.

TX.

Interesting.
Unfortunately, the RS3 it looks like I am putting a deposit on tomorrow has new Pzeros all round...
Same as my other other cars spookily enough.

I have never had a car long enough to really think or worry about tyres, certainly not been able to compare them.
It was of a decision process on my motorbikes - where it is perhaps more important.