Cold start 'normal' behaviour or a Gremlin ?

Mike.46

Reaction score
On a cold start with the 'faster' idle mine is quite odd to drive for the first 20/30 seconds, it sort of hestitates on small throttle openings and makes more noise but doesnt really go any faster, I'm thinking it's just the ecu trying to bring cats and OPF's into operating temperature, but thought I would check here?

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
On a cold start with the 'faster' idle mine is quite odd to drive for the first 20/30 seconds, it sort of hestitates on small throttle openings and makes more noise but doesnt really go any faster, I'm thinking it's just the ecu trying to bring cats and OPF's into operating temperature, but thought I would check here?

Mine is exactly the same. I try not to drive it while it’s on the cold start but when I leave early in the morning I don’t want to leave it idling and **** off the neighbours… My experience is almost like the clutch pack is slipping and takes a couple movements of the car before feeling normal, or once the cold start is finished. I assume that’s similar to what you’re experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46

Yeah I get that sometimes.

I thought as much, I just listened to Wifey going up the Close whilst I was messing with Motorcyle in garage, sounds awfull whilst it's 'doing it's thing', drives pretty crap as well.
The R8 had an additional air pump that used to run for a similar time from a cold start, my Golf R 7.5 didnt appear to have anything, but was one of the last of the pre OPF cars

Reactions: Daggerit
I can confirm mine is also the same. To be honest its just nice to know I wasn't just imagining it!

Reactions: Daggerit and Mike.46
I thought as much, I just listened to Wifey going up the Close whilst I was messing with Motorcyle in garage, sounds awfull whilst it's 'doing it's thing', drives pretty crap as well.
The R8 had an additional air pump that used to run for a similar time from a cold start, my Golf R 7.5 didnt appear to have anything, but was one of the last of the pre OPF cars

At least you never had to listen to the Advanced Catalyst warm up phase on the Daza.

Christ it was awful, used to start it in dynamic to avoid it.
Then when I mapped it that was the first thing I disabled.

At least you never had to listen to the Advanced Catalyst warm up phase on the Daza.

Christ it was awful, used to start it in dynamic to avoid it.
Then when I mapped it that was the first thing I disabled.

Never heard of that, what did it do?

Never heard of that, what did it do?

Cat heating.

Ignition ****** to help get the Cat up to temp.

Sounded terrible for 30 secs, like a bag of nails or you’d think it was broken.

Mine odd too for first 20 seconds or so after a cold start. Tap the throttle and it seems to calm it……or maybe that’s just coincidence with time it would settle anyway.

Mine odd too for first 20 seconds or so after a cold start. Tap the throttle and it seems to calm it……or maybe that’s just coincidence with time it would settle anyway.
Yes, coming off the throttle completely then re opening helps, it only happens for about 75 metres and then all is ok

Cat heating.

Ignition ****** to help get the Cat up to temp.

Sounded terrible for 30 secs, like a bag of nails or you’d think it was broken.

I think it also r*tards the exhaust cam as well ?

Tried the throttle truck and it certainly seemed to help this morning, so thanks for the tip!

Mine is the same.

I like to annoy my neighbours so I always start mine with the valves open and let it idle for a minute or so before I set off.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike.46, Daggerit and kayemill
I have this too, don't like it, feels as of clutch is slipping. Will make sure to map out the cold start once possible.

I have this too, don't like it, feels as if the clutch is slipping. Will make sure to map out the cold start once possible

Hi,
Same problem here. Feels like the clutch is slipping or the gearbox doesn't know what to do. And it's worse when the temperature is below 0. I just wonder what it will be in minus 20-30 degrees...
Local Audi dealer here in Finland checked the car and reset the gearbox, but naturally it didn't make the situation any better.

I think it also r*tards the exhaust cam as well ?
I wonder if this symptom is just the ignition / cam R*tardation as the car attempts to warm up the cats quicker.....so in essence its just the reduction of power people are feeling.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Daggerit
I wonder if this symptom is just the ignition / cam R*tardation as the car attempts to warm up the cats quicker.....so in essence its just the reduction of power people are feeling.

I really don’t think it is. Had similar today after the cold start had finished, it just doesn’t seem to want to drive smoothly for the first bit as if it’s got clutch slip.

I really don’t think it is. Had similar today after the cold start had finished, it just doesn’t seem to want to drive smoothly for the first bit as if it’s got clutch slip.

Yeah I have this too, the gearbox is trying to feel like a ZF for some time, really slipping the clutches and very smoothing out everything.