Facelift Cold start gone

T

Tristan2

i started my car up last night for the first time in 2 days and the tick over was low at 850 revs and the wife said she heard a puff of air sound on start up
I started the car up just now I had the normal cold start revs,but the car seems very quiet
I’ve had the exhaust unplugged now for a few months

i started my car up last night for the first time in 2 days and the tick over was low at 850 revs and the wife said she heard a puff of air sound on start up
I started the car up just now I had the normal cold start revs,but the car seems very quiet

Used to happen to me periodically.

Now it has gone completely thanks to the AVC controller.

what causes this to happen?

I used to think it was when the temp was high in a morning however I had it happen when it was colder also.

For me though the fitting of the AVC was worth it.
The noise having the valves open all the time is great, but the side effect of no start up rattle, even better.

Reactions: DW81
I used to think it was when the temp was high in a morning however I had it happen when it was colder also.

For me though the fitting of the AVC was worth it.
The noise having the valves open all the time is great, but the side effect of no start up rattle, even better.

How much is a AVC controller fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much is a AVC controller fitted?

They were on offer a few weeks back at €380 looks like they went back up.
Fitting is easy, literally takes 10 mins max.

Reactions: jungle650
Looking forward to seeing one in action very soon @T-800 .... :thumbs up:

Jungle

Reactions: T-800
I tried the disconnected exhaust valves for a while and my car (and also a friends who tried it too) would feel like the engine would almost stall when starting up. It sort of 'chugged' slightly before settling onto a 850rpm idle. It did not do it with the exhaust valves connected.
There has been some discussion on forums about potential running issues if the ECU logs a fault code when disconnecting the exhaust valves.

Reactions: T-800
I tried the disconnected exhaust valves for a while and my car (and also a friends who tried it too) would feel like the engine would almost stall when starting up. It sort of 'chugged' slightly before settling onto a 850rpm idle. It did not do it with the exhaust valves connected.
There has been some discussion on forums about potential running issues if the ECU logs a fault code when disconnecting the exhaust valves.

I’m thinking about getting them plugged back in and getting the PCW mod done

Mine have been disconnected all along with no cancellers, pulled 411bhp on a dyno no issues... can’t be holding them back.

Not sure if it’s the same thing but when my car has sat idling for about a minute the revs drop for a split second then pick back up.

Exhaust valves unplugged

Error codes generated

Car ECU thinks ‘hello what’s going on here, I cannot detect any flap movement”, 5k rpm is reached, car reigns back power to protect engine from damage, it’s got no way of determining any different, error codes say there’s an issue.

@T-800 Just out of interest why is that different to the valve controller that you have eg when valves fully open.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

@T-800 Just out of interest why is that different to the valve controller that you have eg when valves fully open.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The AVC does not generate any error codes in its operation TX.

Even if you activate both valves to shut they are automatically opened at 4k revs to prevent engine damage.

The AVC system is integrated into the canbus wiring.
c7fc3b9dc5382d27e1e224658e6dd1cd.png

What do people recommend? I literally just don't want the start up pops and bangs and a quieter cold start, not bothered about having the valves fully open all the time or closed?

I purchased these valve terminator plugs and they work perfectly.

Error code is gone, feels like a litte more power on the top end due to not logging a valve fault code. I had been running valves unplugged for a good month or two before I got these for peaece of mind.

I also picked up the valve blanking plugs to protect the socket on the valves themselves.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-RS...ete-Removal-Fault-Off-Loom-Plugs/152910931457

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-RS...-Blanking-Plugs-New-Custom-Parts/162905637806

You just need to make sure the valves are open when you connect the plugs. Which means, start car, wait for cold start to finish. Stay in P. Cycle drive mode all the way back to dynamic again, and turn off the car, the car will still have the valves open now.

Hi Javbomb was you able to delete the fault code with the cancellers plugged in or did you have to reconnect the valves first to cancel the fault code and then plug the cancellers back on
Thanks

Or you could leave all cables connected and just remove the spring between the valve and motor. Secure the valves open using a length of stainless wire through the shaft of the valve and wrapped round the exhaust (TIG welding rod/wire for example). It'll produce the same result of keeping the valves open permanently. Also won't throw up any fault codes as the motor is still operating. Zero cost, quick job.

To put back to standard, just remove the wire and re-fit the springs.

I did this to see if I could live with the valves being open permanently.

Hi Javbomb was you able to delete the fault code with the cancellers plugged in or did you have to reconnect the valves first to cancel the fault code and then plug the cancellers back on
Thanks

I have OBD Eleven so I just cleared the code and it never came back.