Coilover springs with normal shocks?

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does anyone think it would be a bad idea fitting standard shock absorbers in place of coilover shock absorbers on the rear of my A4 B6?

I purchased a set of well branded coilovers just over two years ago - over the past few months I have noticed handling has become vague - especially from the rear of the car.
I had the car up on the ramp the other day and noticed one of the rear shock absorbers had residue down the shock body - I have not taken the shock abosorber off yet, but im presuming its past its best.
The bushing at the bottom of the shock absorber has worked its way halfway out too! - no idea how that has happened.

I have contacted the manufacturer of the coilovers and found that the replacement cost of a single shock is quite high and would almost make sense purchasing a new coliover kit from them if I were to replace two shocks!

My predicament is this - the car is close to clocking 200k, aulthough I have maintained well and spent a pretty penny in the past - I cannot justify spending for new (well branded) coilovers considering I may well break the car in around 10 / 12 months time.
In the meantime, I have thought about replacing the rear shock absorbers for standard units to tide me over.
Im guessing I should be ok but concerned about damping rates.etc