codes p0420 and p0430 on my a4 2.4 v6

scanny1

Reaction score
having these new codes coming up p0420 and p0430 saying catalyst below efficency on bank 1 and bank 2 . but cant see how both could go at the same time any ideas

Im no expert, but things do go in pairs as they are fitted in pairs? Such as bulbs, then normally go at a similar time. Just an idea.

It could be the voltage to both sensors perhaps?

id do some close looking at the pre and post lambda sensor signals on both banks if i were you.
check supply/signal voltages etc. create an air leak on the inlet somewhere. see if the signal voltages change?

so really it needs to go on live data to find out what the problem is

i wouldnt go spending £££ on a pair of cats without a bit of diagnostic work.

i wouldnt go spending £££ on a pair of cats without a bit of diagnostic work.

how do you check the pre and post lambda sensor do i need live data or some sort to do that

has it just got 4 wire lambda sensors both pre and post?
if it has, as a basic guide.... if you look at the live data at the signal voltages both pre and post. the pre sensor should be switching between .2v and .8v....... if the cats healthy the post lambda voltage signal should be pretty steady (.4-.6v). if thats switching up and down too, as much as the pre sensor is, then it suggests the cat isnt working as well as it should be. as the post lambda is having to further correct the mixture to keep the emissions down trying to make up for the cat being inefficient.

if the car has 6 wire (broadband/wideband) pre sensors then they are more complicated and really you need them testing with a scope or diagnostically with the vas5052 or similar (a sensor ageing test its called).

Did you find out the issue? as i've now got these fault codes to.