Code reader not connecting

Ingwe

Reaction score
Hi, have a 1998 A4 se v6. The airbag light has come on. I bought a Viecar OBD11 scanner to reset the code. The scanner connects to the obd socket in the plug between the seats (next to the rear cigar lighter). It powers up the scanner which after a few seconds gives a message saying it can't connect to the vehicle. I know that the garage has connected to the plug in the past it wonder whether the 1998 Audi isn't obd11 compatible. If not, what scanner was likely being used by the garage and is there a cheap alternative I can get?
I need to get the light off for a MOT in a week or so and I'm currently in France.

Try vag com? It’s free and if it connects then you can upgrade and clear the codes for £100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ingwe
Thank you for the reply. I haven't got a pc (which I understand you need for the vag.com. I have an elderly Mac air. From my reading so far, haven't found a Mac version of vag.com.
Have I got this wrong?

The code reader you have does not support k-line, it's can-bus only. You need to find a k-line scanner or get VCDS.

Reactions: MELenium and Ingwe
You can buy virtual windows systems for the Mac. Check out Parallels. I run it and it works with vag com. Although it isn’t officially supported by Ross tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ingwe
Thanks for the advice. As we're stuck in France at the moment, going to try and get a local mechanic to try and (a) fix the yellow connector under the passenger's seat (as this seems a likely cause) and (b) clear off the warning light if the connector was the problem.
Big issue is that we need to take the car back to the Uk for its mot (an annual pain the ar*e) by 4th April. It will fail mot with light showing and we don't have a lot of time to experiment.
Thank you all for your helpful input.

Just by way of follow-up, am pleased to report that that a mechanic must the VAG code reader on it and there was no fault shown. He cleared the fault and disconnected the yellow connector and reconnected it and the light has turned off. Don't know how he reached the yellow connector; it's a right sod to reach!

"
ANCEL VD500 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Brake Pad Reset Tool

by ANCEL

50 customer reviews
| 114 answered questions
Amazon'sChoicefor "vcds vag com"
  • Works on most from 1996 and newer cars & light trucks that are OBD II compliant (including the J1850 VPM, J1850PWM, ISO9141, KWP 2000 and CAN protocols), and supports Volkswagen and Audi sold worldwide (Audi/Seat/Skoda/Jetta/Golf/Beetle/Touareg/GTI/Passat,A1, A3,A4, A6, A8, Q3, Q5, Q7, etc and more sold worldwide). Supports English and German.
  • For ALL V/A Series Vehicles, ANCEL VD500 scan tool include OBD Basic Functions and Special functions. Read Codes, Clear Codes, SRS , Airbags System , ABS, Transmission System, SAS, ESP System, EPB Service, Read Vehicle Info (VIN, ECU), Oil Service Reset, Throttle Position Adaption and Brake Pad Reset.
  • For CAN OBD II vehicles, the scan tool read and erase stored emission-related codes and pending codes and show the definition of the codes, Check and turn off the engine check light (MIL), Read Vehicle.
  • It can easily determines the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Light( MIL), turns off Malfunction Indicator Light (check engine light), saving time and money for you to provide the best solution.
  • Compatible Vehicles: Suitable for most OBD2 vehicles, and compatible with most German vehicles, such as VW, AUDI, V/A JETTA, Bora, Santana, Sagitar, Magotan, Goif , Beetel, Tiguan, Touareg, Passat, Fabia, Octavia, Superb, etc. When you are not sure whether it compatible with your car, do not hesitate to contact us."

I have one of these 100% so far on VW Polo and B5 A4, a LOT on the menus, and it clears codes too.
£56 ...for some reason I can't post link, however it's on Amazon UK next day delivery...mine has already paid for itself x5 NOTE however you need to google the codes to get info, which IMO is better than the code readr giving you a limited overview of a problem...

OH BTW the connectors plastic can age be careful to adjust the seat with ignition OFF esp HEIGHT adjustment ; )

Last edited: