clutch or gearbox ?????? help

jon@ s3

Reaction score
I’ve got an Audi s3 8p revo stage 2+ but an getting a grinding noise when costing at low revs but this sound goes away when i put it in neutral and when i press the clutch, some time the clutch dose not return back fully, I’ve been told by the mechanic that’s it’s not the gearbox and that it’s the clutch and pressure plate needs a change and that the gridding sound it’s the Central Slave Cylinder (CSC)

Has anyone had this problem ??

And what clutch would you recommend?

It could be clutch or DMF but either way needs looking at.

You've done well to get to Stg2+ on a stock clutch if that's what's in there now......anyhow,the choice would be either a Sachs organic and DMF if you want to retain the DMF setup,or if you can put up with a bit of noise and chatter at idle,then a Spec 2+ or 3+ clutch will last you into big power regions.

Gearbox has it's own weaknesses with the synchros and bearings plus selector forks,but that usually means whining from the box and gear selection issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon@ s3
Thanks mate for the reply i do whanr to go for a bigger turbo but no internals what would you recommend will the organic and DMF be ok??
And if i do need a DMF what make?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate for the reply i do whanr to go for a bigger turbo but no internals what would you recommend will the organic and DMF be ok??
And if i do need a DMF what make?

If you plan on a bigger turbo or hybrid such as one of the TTE's,then I'd recommend a Spec Stg3+ or similar.....it retains the stock feel of the clutch,but will cope with much greater levels of torque.
I had a Sachs on mine,and it lasted very well,but won't cope with drag runs,or torque much beyond 420lbs.

Avoid paddle type clutches if you can.....the Spec 3+ will cope with up to 550lbs,and is a full face carbon-metallic clutch so it does work in traffic or around town.

The downside of a SMF clutch is going to be chatter at idle,but you won't notice that when moving.

This thread may be useful....

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-spec-clutch-flywheel-offers-available.288600/

Reactions: jon@ s3
If you plan on a bigger turbo or hybrid such as one of the TTE's,then I'd recommend a Spec Stg3+ or similar.....it retains the stock feel of the clutch,but will cope with much greater levels of torque.
I had a Sachs on mine,and it lasted very well,but won't cope with drag runs,or torque much beyond 420lbs.

Avoid paddle type clutches if you can.....the Spec 3+ will cope with up to 550lbs,and is a full face carbon-metallic clutch so it does work in traffic or around town.

The downside of a SMF clutch is going to be chatter at idle,but you won't notice that when moving.

This thread may be useful....

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/best-spec-clutch-flywheel-offers-available.288600/
Thanks mate