clutch noise when pulling away

simon-s3

Reaction score
I have an S3 and I notice when pulling away slowly / normally in 1st gear there is a slight noise and slight vibration through the Clucth pedal. I think it is a little "thrust bearing" noise, but wanted to know if any of you with an S3 experience the same. Also if you gently touch the Clutch when driving (say at 3000 RPM) you can "Feel" a vibration through the pedal (although it's quite then. I have 7000 miles on it and have had the car for 1 week and it has done it all the time. It does improve slightly when the car is warm, but doesn't go away.

Cheers,

Si

Normal I think, my S3 does it and so did the various demonstrators i drove.

I think we should open a sticky with "odd" noises and issues on the S3 where we can all contribute......

It seems to me the car has lots of special noises/characteristics although there is nothing wrong in the car!

JamS3 said:
Have a look at my post Engine Noise and Clutch (S3), seems a common trait with the car!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51189

I read this too this morning, but that is different to the noise I am describing. Mine is when pulling away as the clutch starts to bite, when you can hear and feel a slight "rumbling" through the pedal. When fully engaged it is as sooth and quiet as can be and it is just in 1st gear pulling away.

DemianM said:
I think we should open a sticky with "odd" noises and issues on the S3 where we can all contribute......

It seems to me the car has lots of special noises/characteristics although there is nothing wrong in the car!

Sounds like a good idea, as it is such a rare beast, nobody really knows much about it yet let alone understand all the funny noises etc.

They are a little noisy for the first 5 mins anyway and I keep mine below 3000 RPM for the 1st 10 mins. It takes 15 - 20 mins to get it warmed up enough to give it any stick, but it is quiet as can be when warm.

Simon,

I noticed this vibration when pulling away, I think it is always there! Even hot, I mostly notice it pulling away from home so I will pay a little more attention. It is like a rumble that lasts for the second or 2 you slip the clutch while taking off.....

This forum is making me feel better about my car :)

I think I get the same, kind of a rumble / vibration when the clutch is at biting point.

I noticed it when holding the car on a slight hill on the clutch, feels a bit rough and makes a noise.

My old Leon did the same ( and the one before that ! ) and the clutch lasted as long as I had the car so I'm guessing it's not a problem.

s3mike said:
I think I get the same, kind of a rumble / vibration when the clutch is at biting point.

I noticed it when holding the car on a slight hill on the clutch, feels a bit rough and makes a noise.

My old Leon did the same ( and the one before that ! ) and the clutch lasted as long as I had the car so I'm guessing it's not a problem.

That sounds like the same noise.....with 2 of you now with the same thing I will assume that it is normal, even if it doesn't sound or feel it.....:confused: . I feel a lot better now as I thought I was going to be returning to the Stealership with a failed thrust bearing. It is still there when warmed up, but definately worse very first thing in the morning.

I get this too, its as if the car feels its about to stall but it does not! Check the other noise thread for a Audi update to the noise I mentioned.

JamS3 said:
I get this too, its as if the car feels its about to stall but it does not! Check the other noise thread for a Audi update to the noise I mentioned.

Did you ask about this noise too as it is different to the one in the other thread ?

Just normal mate, I have driven other S3's and they are the same. They just like a lot more revs when moving off from biting point.

JamS3 said:
Just normal mate, I have driven other S3's and they are the same. They just like a lot more revs when moving off from biting point.

Not sure what everyone is doing, but I usually move off with slightly under 1.5k revs. A tad too high for my liking really :no:

i have a 2.0 tdi sport,this does the same,while driving if i rest my foot on the clutch lightly i can feel the vibration,it also makes the noise,but mine has done 54k sooo.....