Clicking noise from armrest

DanS38V

Reaction score
Just upgraded a couple of weeks ago from an 8L to an 8V S3 and I'm loving it, however one thing has developed over the last couple of days that is beginning to annoy me. When raising the armrest from its lowest position there are a series of clicks as it moves up, definitely didn't make this noise when I first picked it up.

Considering going into my local dealership to ask them to take a look at it, but to an extent I feel like I'm making a fuss over nothing. Has anybody else noticed/gotten annoyed by this?

Pictures of my old and new S3's below incase anyone is interested

IMG 1630

IMG 1127

Thanks

This is normal. It's a ratchet. You can pull it up and the ratchet will hold it where you want to have it.
Not sure it's very noisy on mine though.

It certainly seems noisier than it should be (or was at first) - maybe I'll head down to the dealership and see if I hear anything similar on their showroom model.

Car looks epic - very smart indeed !!

It's near silent on mine just got a wet wipe out to remove sausage roll fingerprints from the back courtesy of my little lad.

Thanks, just wish I'd taken some more pictures the day I picked it up while it was all nice and clean! Got it booked in for a protection detail soon so will be sure to take some more after that.

Interesting to hear yours is near silent, think I need to make a trip down to Audi anyway as I'm also suffering from the 'metallic rattle' that a number of others have reported, so may have to get them to have a look at the armrest as well, although I suspect a bit of WD40 should do the job!

Just looked again it is practically silent with no clicking whatsoever and very smooth to operate.

It feels more like a friction device rather than a ratchet.

It's normal I promise, mine does it and I don't know why but it makes me cringe haha. Sounds like something it shouldn't do, but yes it does it.

Lovely looking 8L. Not a fan of them, but always a fan of old cars in perfect condition whatever make/model it is!

Also, lovely new S3 ;)

EDIT: Just read others are near silent? Hm, not sure if it's worth asking the dealer. I'm sure they will give me some lame excuse. Mine seems a little wobbly too, when it's resting flat to the console if I put my hand on the end of it and press up and down the whole thing rocks up and down very slightly. I'm starting to get the feeling my car is a friday afternoon job!

Last edited:
My arm rest doesn't make any noises going up and down, its very fluid.

probably worth getting the dealer to take a look at it.

Thanks, just wish I'd taken some more pictures the day I picked it up while it was all nice and clean! Got it booked in for a protection detail soon so will be sure to take some more after that.

Interesting to hear yours is near silent, think I need to make a trip down to Audi anyway as I'm also suffering from the 'metallic rattle' that a number of others have reported, so may have to get them to have a look at the armrest as well, although I suspect a bit of WD40 should do the job!

Just read this after having the same thing happen with my A3. Was silent, but 5,000 miles in, it's started doing this loud clicking thing for about the first few inches too. Did you get in to see your dealer by any chance and if so what did they say? My dealer seems to think it's normal but I haven't had chance yet to go in.

Mine is quiet apart from the top height setting when it def has a "ratchet" noise

Anyone been to the dealer about this? Wondering if theres any point in me raising this concern when it goes in for a service in Dec... it annoys me a little but not a lot, the only thing annoys me is that I can wobble/rock it around just a tad, which is a little irritating... not sure if thats normal. I watched a video and this guy opened the armrest to show the MMI connecter and the armrest didn't make a sound! Mines very loud compared...

@DanS38V did you take yours in? Or anyone else?

Haven't gotten around to taking mine in yet, will update when I do!

Have the same issue (see my earlier new thread).

My local dealer seemed to think that it was 'normal' and probably was worse now due to usage (I have done 5000 miles).

I checked one (identical S3 to mine) in the showroom with zero miles and there was some slight noise and slight resistance but not to the same extent as a mine. I'm keen to check on a slightly older car (10k) to see it if gets progressively worse...