Changing Timing Belt v6TDI 150hp

Actualsizeaudio

Reaction score
I'm changing the TB on my V6 150hp tdi very soon after 60K miles (i'm in the US). My question is: Do I need to replace the thermostat and water pump also. These were done the last time the belt was changed.

Opinions?

The car is a 2001V6 Passatt Variant 4motion

Hi there, I think that the common wisdom is to certainly replace the water pump at the same time. I believe its plastic and relatively cheap, so while the motor is apart, it may make sense to get it done. Don't know about the thermostat though. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm this...

HTH

It's probably not worth changing the thermostat unless it appears to have a problem. 'stats usually last the life of the car but sometimes go bad. The only 'stat I've had go in 19 years of driving was the one on my Honda VFR800. It would appear that Honda got a bad batch as it's a relatively common problem.

The water pump on my V6 2.5 TDi has just failed. This has resulted in a £700 bill to change it and the cambelt/pulleys/tensioners. The water pump was changed with the last cambelt change, but has somehow failed. Is there an indestructible water which could be fitted?

I think you have to try to source a water pump with a metal impeller. It seems that they are made of plastic in modern audi's and are prone to cracking and failure. If you do a search on the forum there is a thread somewhere for a source of these metal impellers

I think if you can check with the servicing agent, the plastic or metal impeller question depends on which engine is fitted in your car. IIRC, the 163 and 180 have the metal unit and the 150 has a plastic one, but I will stand corrected by my learned friends here if this is not the case.