Changing rear brake pads (A4 Avant)

NickB

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to push back the piston on the rear brake calipers in order to fit new pads?

Yes me :) because of the handbrake you need a tool to rotate the pistons clockwise whilst applying pressure to push them back in.

Cheers Timps. Is this one of those jobs you can do by improvising or is the actual tool a must for the job?

I borrowed the tool off my best mate who runs his own garage.
But he reckoned in the dim and distant past when this type of brake first came out they used to improvise one turning and one pushing then they made their own tool.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101080&ts=56620&id=71972

This is the type of tool I used it has a metal disk with lugs that locks into the piston, turning the handle makes the piston turn whilst the screw thread locks the plate against the calliper & applies pressure so you should be able to improvise that.

A large g clamp works. As you screw the clamp shut the swivel head allows the piston to rotate and it screws bck into its housing

I have a Passat (with the same system....)...I used a pair of needle-nose or long-nosed pliers...just be careful not to slip and tear the dust cover.
To get things started as the piston may be tight, use a c-clamp.

NickB said:
Does anyone know how to push back the piston on the rear brake calipers in order to fit new pads?