Change gearbox oil a4 quattro.

Cam

Reaction score
I went to audi dealers for some gear box oil. They advised that a 1999 1.8T quattro has a sealed system. Which means that the oil has to be refilled via the gearbox oil drain plug and requires a special tool that only audi dealers have. They also said it doesnt have a filling plug like most cars. Ive checked my gearbox and the drain plug is undone with a tamperproof spline socket and it also has what appears to be a filling plug wich requires a hex socket. Can anyone offer any information. Is what the audi dealers said correct?

Not really. They arent the usual run of the mill plugs (like an 8mm square plug on fords and rovers) but they certainly arent out the way enough for you to get one. The drain one will just be an 8mm allen bolt and the fill one a large torx socket?

Is it the gearbox or the rear diff?

Your local motor factors should be able to advise you on oils they have on offer. just avoid halfords.

Thanks for your reply. Its the gearbox. Ive been under the car and all i can find is a tamperproof spline for the the drain. What appears to be the filling plug is a 17 or maybe 19mm allen i didnt measure it. What i really wish to know is can it be refilled without a special tool wich audi dealers mentioned.

Yep tamper proof one is the drain. You can get a socket off ebay and the fill is just a hex.

Im suprised that was the line off Audi, its not usual they are fishing for the work. To be honest aside from electrics most things the main dealer will tell you are their speciality are all DIYable.

Probably find its 17mm hex for both. Unusual for the tamperproof spline with pimple one to be used on the TQS.

Full synth 75w90 iirc. Makes the gear changes better, do iiiiitttttt !!

according to elsawin car must be completely level when filling and depending on exact box fill to either 4 or 9 mm below fill plug level, +or- 1mm as box is sensitive to oil level?

I think i put a bit too much oil in when i did mine. When cold its a bit stiff going into 2nd,fine when warm. When its a bit warmer i think ill do it again and make sure i put in the right ammount.

I have a slight leak on rear diff and need to do the shaft seal and I'm going to replace the box oil, can any one tell me what oil grade to put in both the diff and box and is the diff filler plug level aswel ???

I use the side plug for level and the plug on the top of the transmission housing where the sensor goes in to fill the transmission with gear oil. I just use a long tube that is 1" round and a funnel.

Transmission and center diff share the same gear oil. They take a 75w90 GL4 gear oil, like the MT90 from Redline or Motul 300.

I had to buy one of the drain plug tools, cost me about $38 USD which included shipping.

Last edited: