Central Locking

MrBones

Going Gone Bye
Reaction score
H All

Can you please advise if any of you have had any experience with this issue?

I have a 57 plate Audi a3 sportback, that the driver’s side door doesn’t unlock from the key fob

All other doors, windows and the alarm work fine, just the driver’s side door?

Can anybody help with a little advise

Thanks

I have the exact same problem on my 2007 S3. I've had the door card off and checked the motor which works fine.

I've read that sometimes gunge can accumulate in the lock so going to try and take it off and clean it today.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Gunge can collect inside the door lock & thus the microswitches don't work properly, does your passenger window work via the drivers switch pack?

Yes all windows work fine and all the other doors lock and unlock from the keyfob as they should do. Is just the driver side door, which I have to manually have to unlock with the key

I have just checked and the driver's door locks fine once it's unlocked from the keyfob, so it's just the unlocking of the door (via the keyfob) ?

Yes, exactly the same problem as me.

Although I didn't get too far on figuring it out today as the 2 torx screws that hold my mechanism in place are rounded so i'll have to get the vice grips out tomorrow.

I also have the same problem but with rear N/S door locks but will not unlock with the fob,once unlocked from the inside door opens O.K. but when locked by the fob will not unlock !! I am thinking is this a lock/actuator fault or possibly a relay?? will check if it stops raining.

Regards.
Rommel.

Well, I never got very far with figuring out the problem.

Spent this morning trying to figure out where to start so ended up trying to ge the lock itself off.

Managed to get the lock off and clean it with WD40 and visually check everything worked which it did. Took one of the small panels off and loooked at the micro switches which also looked quite clean.

Put it back and tested it and it was still the same. Then after about 3 or 4 open/closes... both handles would'nt open the door....... Absolute nightmare.

So managed to free the lock by pulling on both cables that open the mechanism from outside and inside and decided enough was enough and phones TPS.... Got a replacement mid afternoon for a very sore price and have just finished fitting it.

From what i've researched.... this is a very common fault not only within audi but within the whole VAG group (would expect as much seeing as they are all under the same umbrella) and alway seems to be the drivers side.

I'd hoped to have came back and told you all that I managed to figure out what was wrong and fix it but unfortunately not...

Its not the most dignisfied look climbing over to the passenger side to get out the car....

Thanks all your effort Doogie well done, the misery continues

Last night the drivers door worked for some reason !. ...I locked it again and the next time it would not open via the keyfob

I tried locking and unlocking a few more times and it still wouldn't unlock?

All the other doors open fine as they should do, and I can hear the moter/switch working

I havn't had time to take it apart yet, way too much work, but I will try at the weekend

Wish me luck, I will let you all know how I get on, fingers crossed

please post back how you get on and what you do if you manage to fix it (fingers crossed)...my drivers side passenger door has same trouble

by the way i'm sure on vcds my car showed some error code in relation to that door that's knackered...dodgy door module?

please post back how you get on and what you do if you manage to fix it (fingers crossed)...my drivers side passenger door has same trouble

by the way i'm sure on vcds my car showed some error code in relation to that door that's knackered...dodgy door module?

Mine did also when i had it plugged in via VCDS so it was recognised as an issue. Although the only thing to really do is replace the whole lock mechanism as I took my old one apart today out of curiosity and there is a large abundance of small fiddly moving parts. And I mean a lot of fiddly parts.

I would personally NOT recommend taking it apart unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Mine did also when i had it plugged in via VCDS so it was recognised as an issue. Although the only thing to really do is replace the whole lock mechanism as I took my old one apart today out of curiosity and there is a large abundance of small fiddly moving parts. And I mean a lot of fiddly parts.

I would personally NOT recommend taking it apart unless you know exactly what you are doing.

thank you for your reply.
what was the damage to the wallet for replacing the mech?
regards

Well, I ordered it from TPs in Edinburgh and paid £137 all in...... There is cheaper second hand ones in ebay for around £60-80 but I just couldn't wait 2-3 days for it as I use my car daily and couldn' be jumping over the centre console every time I needed in and out of my car.

But if your door still opens.... try one on ebay...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A8-D...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27f02e7e7f

That one is £40 and there are some cheaper...

no worries buddy, thank you for your help

Might get @NHN to have a bash at it next time he does something on mine

Hmmm i have just had exactly the same problem over the weekend. The first time i pressed the button and the drivers door was still locked, pressed it three more times and it opened ? then last night pressed it once didn't open then once again and it did ? Its been fine today though...

Im interested if someone manages to fix/repair the problem as im sure mine will get worse in time :(

ive found that when unlocking my car that if the passenger side unlocks, the drivers side doesn't... and vice versa. i went to unlock my car earlier and both windows wound themselves down and now my headlights are staying on automatically for about 30 seconds after locking my car when they weren't before... what the heck is going on?!

micro switches break , you can replace them with ones from maplin quite easily , need to do a continuity test on the micro switches while the mechanism is out , stripping the audi doors is very easy ,can probably strip full insides,handle glass etc in 20 mins . the 2 bolts that hold the lock mechanism are not torx there 12 point multi spline .

Hi all

I have working like a dog lately so sorry for the late update

But the problem I had was the door lock motor, which when replaced and now works fine

Aftr researching this subject the most common problem is the lock mec as Doogie said earlier

Good luck all

I’ve just seen this thread, but I thought I’d share a problem I experienced recently. I swapped the driver’s door on my 2010 A3 sport back and the key fob and central locking button were working as expected for the other doors but the fob had stopped working on the replacement door. Also, the locking button on the door worked exactly opposite to normal. Someone on a Seat forum suggested that it could be caused by fitting the locking mechanism when the key had put it in the locked position, when the remaining doors were open. I disconnected the wires to the locking mechanism and the door locking switch, unlocked the door by key, then refitted the wires. Hey presto! It all worked fine.