Carista App

Just ran up torque pro again and it connects to the phone and reports that it's ELM327 V1.5. It just doesn't connect to the OBD of the ECU.

I did notice with my VCDS last week that it also had no generic OBD diagnostics on VAG. On our SEATS we can see OBD in VCDS.

The first elm327 device I bought would connect with torque pro OK and would read the different sensors etc but would not connect with Carista

The first elm327 device I bought would connect with torque pro OK and would read the different sensors etc but would not connect with Carista

It was the same for me. I got one last week and tried it on a few different apps and it worked on all of them but wouldn't bring up any fault codes which is strange because I know their are some. When I tried it with the car is ta it said my device was defective, just don't understand how it works to an extent though.

Is everyone successfully using the bluetooth one linked above then?

It would appear from doing a search that some of the cheaper ones do not have all the hardware inside to communicate on all protocols.

Is everyone successfully using the bluetooth one linked above then?

It would appear from doing a search that some of the cheaper ones do not have all the hardware inside to communicate on all protocols.

The first one I had was a cheap 5 quid eBay job and didn't read codes. I not have the Amazon one which is above and cost 15 it worked first time. Go for it

Just performed another check today with various devices and I can confirm the I was incorrect in the post above about my VCDS not reading OBD.
Tried again this morning and that looks all OK.

VCDS reports (during OBD connection) that it is using Protocol ISO15765-500K-11bit

My ELM327 V1.5 doesn't work with 2 phones and 3 different Apps. It was purchased back in 2012 and worked fine on my B7 2.0TFSi Quattro S-Line. It looks like this, but can longer recall what outlet I purchased it from : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OBD2-...268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d1d6ab924

Hopefully this will help others looking for a dongle.

Hi the new 2.2 update for carista makes most of the OBD units not work :mad:

I purchased the bluetooth model on page 2 that someone quoted on here but when connects it says the dongle is defective or something like that !!

Ive even tried downloading older versions of Carista but to no avail !!!

Looks like im gonna have to keep buying OBD readers till i find one that works

Hi the new 2.2 update for carista makes most of the OBD units not work :mad:

I purchased the bluetooth model on page 2 that someone quoted on here but when connects it says the dongle is defective or something like that !!

Ive even tried downloading older versions of Carista but to no avail !!!

Looks like im gonna have to keep buying OBD readers till i find one that works
It said the same thing when I tried using mine. I only got it just over a week ago and it's supposed to be the newer one, version 1.5 I think. Would appreciate if you could post on here if you find one that works.

Post on the App website as it may just be a coding issue

Well I've just purchased this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360718040843?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It works fine for 'Torque Pro' as all the OBD stuff comes up which it didn't on my previous adaptor.
So I can now log/monitor all the usual things...but mainly interested in Boost.

However, Carista connects and reads fault codes but does not allow customisation.
It reports the same error as described above.

Looking on Google Play the Carista App V2.2.1 release states :
- detects defective ELM327 devices, implements workaround for OBD2 diagnostics with such devices. customisations are not possible with defective devices.

Last edited:
Doh !!!! just read Carista's Hardware requirements and they state to avoid any hardware claiming to be V2.1, as ost are fake.
Guess what version mine is ?

Well is works with 'Torque Pro'. Not sure about 'Harry's lap timer' so will give that a try before I set off to work tomorrow.

Can it really be that difficult to purchase a reliable or genuine unit ?

I emailed Carista and they sent a link to a recommended UK source for a reliable dongle.
I've ordered one and will keep you posted on how I get on.

I emailed Carista and they sent a link to a recommended UK source for a reliable dongle.
I've ordered one and will keep you posted on how I get on.
Any chance you could post the link up please mate?

Works with Carista have not tried torque.

Brilliant, I'll be ordering one of these then unless someone posts a cheaper one. Thanks mate

No worries, just be aware being quite small it is quite tricky to remove! Mind you if it does work with torque you would probably leave it in so no chance of you banging it with your knee!

Activated the cornering lights using the app, spent the last few days waggling the steering wheel while in queues for lights and trying to see them turn on in the reflection of the car in front... Love it.

Activated the cornering lights using the app, spent the last few days waggling the steering wheel while in queues for lights and trying to see them turn on in the reflection of the car in front... Love it.

can you please let me know how you activated them and where is it hiding in the menus?

Only thing im thinking is the fog bulbs wont last long as they will be on and off all the time :think:

can you please let me know how you activated them and where is it hiding in the menus?

It was in the lighting section of the App. just activate and save. and yeah I can believe that the bulbs may suffer but I can't help myself...:)

Any chance you could post the link up please mate?

This was the one recommended by Carista, and guess what IT DOES NOT WORK with either Carista, reporting defective device and Torque Pro cannot connect to ECU.
Amazon product

So I have taken 1 step forward and 2 back. Looks like I'll be getting the £14.95 one linked above

This was the one recommended by Carista, and guess what IT DOES NOT WORK with either Carista, reporting defective device and Torque Pro cannot connect to ECU.
Amazon product

So I have taken 1 step forward and 2 back. Looks like I'll be getting the £14.95 one linked above

Good luck mate
Don't give up

I've been playing with this on beta and bought a couple of weeks ago for iPhone. Nice little app for doing some basic coding, saves firing up laptop and using the Ross tech software

I've downloaded the iphone app, could someone please point me in the direction of a good OBD adaptor. From what I've read, certain ones are hit and miss.

Many thanks

Ignore that, I was being lazy. There is a list of recommended ones on the Carista website.

Last edited:
I have had one of those ELM327 small blue adaptors that I bought off Fleabay about 18 months ago and it works fine with both Torque and Carista. very impressed with Carista in that it checks all the modules for fault codes unlike Torque which only checks the ECU.
I have also used Carista on several cars to enable various functions which could only normally be done with VAG-COM.
I have the Beta version on the phone now so am going to have a look at next doors Mini and see what it can do.

Karl.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427919875819795

From amazon, plug and play

Anyone had any joys with the apple version of this app? Not sure which tool to buy :( seems too good to be true lol

I bought this one - It works fine on my 2014 B8.5 although the only mods I've found are the needle sweep and the blip on locking. it connected to my iPhone 6 easily

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LE58L9W

Ah thanks mate I'm on the iPhone 6 too, should in theory work then I guess although mines a 2009

To be fair mate I've probably wasted more than 30 quid ordering incorrect bulbs, so 30 quid for needle sweep is a sweet deal :D

Anyone had any joys with the apple version of this app? Not sure which tool to buy :( seems too good to be true lol
I've got it, helped nicely point out the fact I'd forgot to reconnect my fog lights after changing my grill over...
Enabled emergency braking and alarm chime, bought it for the turning fog lights as the S4 has needlesweep etc as std, and they didn't ****** include it in the app :( might be in their next release....
Get the one I posted a few posts up, works fine on wifi on iPhone 5

I've just downloaded Carista to my iPad. I couldn't use my phone as it needs iOS 8, and I'm still using an iPhone 4. I don't want to spend money changing the mount and connectivity in the B7 when it's going in three months' time. I plan to get a new iPhone just in time for the S4 and fit the appropriate cradle.

Anyway, back to Carista. I already had an ELM327, so I hooked it up and it connected with the app right away. I did a fault scan; it came back clear, which is nice. Tried running customisation but it's not compatible with the B7.

So at least I'm set up to do some customisation on the S4

I started this thread and have just downloaded the beta version which gives me extras such as laptimer, oil temp and foglights when indicating round a corner. These functions were unavailable when I downloaded the original fully paid version.

Happy days!

Google carista beta and site will explain what you need to do.