car turns over but won't fire

martyevo

Reaction score
Any one help please
I've been having trouble starting my A4
It has happened a few times previous but always been able to get it started but not this time. I had to crank it over for a while on Friday with a jump start and it did fire and started fine the next 5 or6times. Went out to Saturday morning and all it done was turn over. Tried jumping it again today with no success, it smells of petrol in the exhaust so not sure if its fuel pump. Haven't got vag com and garage unable to get to me at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated

Ah right
I was going to say I have a similar atm but about a 1.9

Check the battery to start with mate

I got a jump start Friday and then it started fine for a few times after but the next morning it won't start. Tried jumping it again today after charging the battery for a while but no luck it just turns over but will not fire

Look on the vcds map and see if anyone near you with vcds can help.

Reactions: martyevo
You should here it buzz when you turn key to first position
I couldn't hear it when I tried to start it Monday when my dad was turning it over. Is there any other way of checking it's working?

You could go into your boot and remove the cover its only 3 screws on the right hand side then see if you can here it that way when mine stopped working I gave the fuel tank a very hard bang and it made fuel pump work to get me home then swoped it for new one

You could go into your boot and remove the cover its only 3 screws on the right hand side then see if you can here it that way when mine stopped working I gave the fuel tank a very hard bang and it made fuel pump work to get me home then swoped it for new one
I took the cover off but still couldn't hear it and gave it a tap as I had read about hitting it but I didn't give it a good wacky. I think it's the pump so I will give it another go tomorrow and see what happens

If you have no power fuel
Pump relay maybe

Got my car running and it turned out to be failed rocker cover gaskets which had covered the sparkplugs in oil.