Car tax HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats not right, mine is a Y plate and 6 months was £143

Very odd!

Taken from the Directgov site.

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

Cars registered before 1 March 2001 (based on engine size)

Private/light goods (TC11)

Engine size (cc)

12 months rate

Not over 1549cc £130.00
Over 1549cc £215.00

6 months rate

Not over 1549cc £71.50
Over 1549cc £118.25

Unless your car is an import perhaps?

ah date of registration is 07/2001 so that'll be the reasoning

In my opinion:
Surely if its 'road tax', this should be based on the amount of miles you cover per year.
Sure there can be a LOW base 'road tax' based on CEO/weight of vehicle etc that everyone pays annually, but then at the annual MOT when the cars milage is recorded, an extra charge can be added to the 'road tax'.
This in my view balances it out for everyone, as an average person doing say 10,000 miles per year is doing far less damage to the roads that someone doing 30,000 miles per year.

Just a thought.........

Your logic is perfect, but unfortunately the world is not. It's not "road tax", but "Vehicle Excise Duty". Years and years ago, before even I was born, it was called Road Fund Licence, and that's precisely what it was, a way of raising a fund to pay for the build and upkeep of the road network. The money raised was hypothecated; that is, ring-fenced for the one specific purpose. Everyone (well, pretty most everyone) was happy to pay it, because they knew what it was going towards, but that link was done away with long ago.

It will say on your V5 what band it is for emissions, then you can check it on dvla site and find cost.