Car feels like stalling

Hi new to the forum, been reading in the background for a while. Helped me fix my rear washer wiper motor

A3 2.0tdi 57 plate

When driving in heavy traffic if I pull forward then take out of gear to free roll to car in front. The engine seems like it's going to stall gets a low down knock. As if being starved of fuel or air. Can make it happen on demand hot or cold car. It only does this for about 5-10 seconds before normal engine running noises again. Due to this I have had a play with revving the car to see if anything changes and one thing I have noticed. If free wheeling out of gear and give it a little rev, the revs go up but on taking foot of pedal the revs go up a little further before coming back down. Not sure if related. Normally when rev car, I take foot of peddle revs drop straight away.

I have changed the following anyway when bought car, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, took egr valve off cleaned and refit with new seals, took maf off cleaned and refit.

As for clutch when car is cold if half pressed I do hear a mesh type spinning noise. Only when holding at half biting point. When car is warm this disappears. No clutch slip when delivering power.

Car drives great, just don't want anything to be happening that I should be fixing, before it breaks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When its thinking of stalling, what happens when clutch is fully depressed & moved up/down.

Does it behave when you drive normally ? Its actually against the law to take it out of gear and roll, comes under the "not in proper control of the car" thing. I wonder if its little German brain cant compute moving and being in neutral at the same time ?

Last edited:
I will check the clutch in when rolling tonight. Sure it's the same that's why I found it confusing.

Sometimes when I am parked on drive and just let handbrake off to roll car backwards off the drive it will do it then as well. Doesn't need to be at high speed. And whenever I check this it is only around 5mph 10mph.

When drive normally all is fine. I suppose I could just stop rolling it. But I've never had this issue with any other vehicle. Now I know it's there I keep checking it and if there is an underlying fault I'd like to fix sooner rather than later.

It may be the ECU trying to rev match the cars speed ready for a gear change, that never happens.
Either way, rolling the car or 'Coasting' is bad practice and a waste of fuel as the engine uses no fuel while it is rolling in gear with no accelerator input.

It may be the ECU trying to rev match the cars speed ready for a gear change, that never happens.
Either way, rolling the car or 'Coasting' is bad practice and a waste of fuel as the engine uses no fuel while it is rolling in gear with no accelerator input.
It's not something I proactively do. Just noticed one day in heavy traffic, stop, start, stop start. Knee getting sore from constant biting point. Clutch in, in gear, pull forward, clutch in, out of gear, stop, then repeat I personally would not coast at any speeds other than 5-10mph in slow moving traffic. It would be far too dangerous, I like to use my gears to control my engine when driving.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
When its thinking of stalling, what happens when clutch is fully depressed & moved up/down.
Soo, as per usual after my saying I can make this happen all the time. I couldn't get it to happen tonight.

Car sounded great when coasting around 5-10mph. Would try and catch it out with a hard break as this sometimes worked but nothing.

It would be great to hear back from other people regarding revving the car. When parked clutch in or out, revs as normal up and down with my foot motion, when out of gear and car moving revs up then when foot comes away does some extra revs.

Typical take your car to a garage noise disappear moment...

Will see what I can do tomorrow morning regarding if clutch stops the noise/judder.

If its gone then great but its been like this for well over a month.

Soo this morning I managed to replicate the stalling effect. It did go when clutch fully pressed.

I can describe that it sounds like a rubbery wobble spinning grind noise.

I've been reading about throw out bearings. Maybe this, not sure.

I was certain the problem was there whether clutch in or out. But as this issue lasts 5-10 seconds it's hard to know whether my pushing clutch in resolved.

I did a few tests this morning to gauge length of time it was happening. Pushed clutch in as fast as I could then it stopped.

I'm not implying this is the issue, but what mileage is it at and when (if ever) was the Clutch and Flywheel last changed?

So what you are saying is you dip the clutch, knock it out of gear let the clutch up and it falters for up to ten seconds but dipping the clutch again stops this..So the gearbox is dragging in neutral and by dipping the clutch again you seperate the box from the engine.
Question is then why is you box dragging ? is it properly adjusted ? have you got a sticking synchromesh ?, has it had an oil change ? ie is it full of glub..

Reactions: KosmoDeebs
So what you are saying is you dip the clutch, knock it out of gear let the clutch up and it falters for up to ten seconds but dipping the clutch again stops this..So the gearbox is dragging in neutral and by dipping the clutch again you seperate the box from the engine.
Question is then why is you box dragging ? is it properly adjusted ? have you got a sticking synchromesh ?, has it had an oil change ? ie is it full of glub..

This seems to be exactly what I'm saying

Will check service history later to see if and when clutch replaced.

Also gearbox oil top up etc.

I do think syncromesh sounds as it sounds. If I have the clutch at 50% up. I get a mesh spinning type noise. This seems to clear when car warms up, well it's less noisy.

Car is on 112k