cam sensor

danotto

VAG HUNTER
Reaction score
i recently had my cambely changed again for the second time at 72k but the cam sensor was showing a fault on the diagnostic machine at vw as my mate works there,i replaced the sensor and the car feels smoother but the engine warning light is still on will this need resetting to clear the old stored error or should the error clear itself after diving.cheers guys:respekt:

the DTC needs to be cleared manually.

I'd take it back to your mate at VW who should be able to clear it.

Otherwise it's a VAG-COM job, or a visit to the dealer (or suitable equipped independant)

Is it not a bit worrying that you entrusted such work to your mate and he does not even know he has to clear a DTC code.....??
I hope he remembered "lefty loosey, righty tighty!" lol

i have two mates who work at vw one is a salesman and the other a mechanic the mate who done the has worked there for 25yrs so he knows what hes doing,and my salesman friend has to clear it as my mechanic mate is on holiday for two weeks,hope this makes sense.but cheers for your concerns.lol

So the 25 yr old mech did not think to clear it before he went....!!

In my experience and plenty more on here too, VAG techs are not always the brightest sparks! They aint working for the stealers cos NASA is full up, are they! !

BY the way, it may have been that the code was up in the first place as a result of the timing belt change, not because of the sensor being at fault. Would have been worht clearing it first before shelling out on the sensor. Or was it throwing the code before the belt change.....(can still occur is belt is badly stretched).
Hope you get it sorted anyway.

i thought id get the belt changes as a precaution,and when he fitted the belt drove car car away and the light came on he then asked me to take the car back to vw where he reset the code the light stayed out for about 200miles and then the light came back on,the diagnostics said cam sensor faulty or something like that so i changed it myself,but as i said the car runs better since ive changed it but the light is still on which ive been told by you and my mate now that it needs to be cleared.hopefully this will be ok once cleared.

eeek, it sounds like the timing belt may be a tooth out......?
Or slack, ehnce it came up once you'd left....?

#Either way, I'd get ti checked out, if the belt is slack for too long, it wont like it once tightened....!>!>!

i think its advanced 1 tooth, doesn't matter how many time you get it reset it'l come back, eventually you'l get a crank sensor fault coming up, it happened to me wen i bought mine

so in order to fix it will i need to remove and fit the belt again,cheers for your help had the light reset and its back on again,i think your right

no just losen the tensioner and then they can time it correctly!

Or it may just be slack.
Check the sensor is correctly fitted too, ie in the right position.

how do you check if the sensor is correclty fitted i just bolted it on with the two ten mm bolts and pluged it in,is this not right?

i just picked up my car from my mate at vw he said the cam belt was half a tooth out,all sorted and it runs better,cheers for your help guys:respekt:

er half a tooth out eh.........!?!? How's that work then, did they file extra grooves in the belt for you....?! ?

Typical stealer tech care with the job! And typical excuse also, half a tooth sounds so much better than a whole tooth out! !!!

yeah thats what i thought oh well,its fixed now and didnt have to pay for it well apart from forking out 70 quid on a new sensor,but he knows someone who works for superchips and is getting me a generic remap for £100 for my inconvienience.oh and i know its off the subject but i just bought and fitted a bailey dv30 recirc and its brilliant,can hardly hear it but theres a subtle whoosh inside the car,love it