Cam belt time?

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

The cam belt of my 2001 AMK was last changed in April 2012. Since then it has covered 25K miles.

Should I get it replaced as part of an upcoming service?

Thanks.

Hi,

The cam belt of my 2001 AMK was last changed in April 2012. Since then it has covered 25K miles.

Should I get it replaced as part of an upcoming service?

Thanks.

Audi suggest replacing the camber every 6 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first. Others have run them for longer without issues.... but I’d change it more regularly personally. As your at 6 years now, I’d change it for piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d replace, any bearings/tensioners and waterpump as a minimum mate. Make sure you go for the metal impeller waterpump.

Reactions: vanilla_ice
tensioner damper... almost always gets left out on a belt change

<tuffty/>

Reactions: vanilla_ice
I’d replace, any bearings/tensioners and waterpump as a minimum mate. Make sure you go for the metal impeller waterpump.

I thought the popular train of thought was PLASTIC impeller pump as they don’t leak like metal ones but must be changed every time you do the belt ???

I thought the popular train of thought was PLASTIC impeller pump as they don’t leak like metal ones but must be changed every time you do the belt ???

Personal preference I suppose, metal impeller would last longer. Heard horror stories of the plastic impeller shredding/breaking.

Personal preference I suppose, metal impeller would last longer. Heard horror stories of the plastic impeller shredding/breaking.

Metal impeller pumps are rubbish dude... leak through the shafts on all the ones I have seen... plastic pumps only break because people don't change them at the same time as the belt...

Buy an OE pump.... they are not that expensive and just work... I have an OE pump in mine new when I built my engine... it will get changed in a year or so when I do the belt...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3JACKSON and vanilla_ice
Metal impeller pumps are rubbish dude... leak through the shafts on all the ones I have seen... plastic pumps only break because people don't change them at the same time as the belt...

Buy an OE pump.... they are not that expensive and just work... I have an OE pump in mine new when I built my engine... it will get changed in a year or so when I do the belt...

<tuffty/>

Consider me told.... OP listen to Tuffty, he’s seen far more than I have.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Metal impeller pumps are one of those interweb myths thats founded on a degree of plausibility... I nearly went down that route myself when I did my first belt change on the S3 long before I got heavy into modding it...

Bill even ran one for a while on the badgerwagon but that leaked through the shaft as do all the others it seems... not that some aftermarket plastic impeller ones are any better...

Thats why I used an OE one so I didn't have to be concerned about quality control...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3JACKSON and vanilla_ice