Bye Bye S3.....

mramage

Reaction score
The time has come. The S3 has to go. This is a very long post, so if you don't want to read it all, here's the short story. I've bought a (used) BMW 330Ci to try a different driving experience for a couple of years.

The long story.

It's nagged me for a while, but I've come to realise several things. The first is that I love and respect the S3 enourmously. It is a fantasticly able and rounded car, with accessible performance and subtle looks. So why sell a car I love? It's the hardest car change I've made, very hard.

Well, I was going to mod it or buy a modded version, but it occurred to me there are reasons not to. Spending money I'd never see back when I've not tried the something different. Starting out on that drive for perfection, more power, more grip. Where do I stop? In a ditch I suspect.

Lately I've been driving the S3 harder and harder and it is possible to get it sideways under power as we know, but I never really feel controlled doing it. Most times pushing it, I feel like it's more of the car than me and I want to feel like I'm in control again. For me, I need to try rear wheel drive. Maybe I'll decide it's horrible and go back to Quattro, but I need to try. Unfortunately for practical reasons and keeping a manual, that meant BMW. Lexus 3 litre is auto and I'm not keen on Mercs build quality these days.

Then there's the noise. That straight six sounds fantastic, with a throttle response the S3 can only dream of. I've always wanted a >4 cylinder car.

And finally the steering. Cars steering (for the most part) seems to be getting more numb every time. I wasn't keen on the new A3 steering (sorry A3 owners), and I remember threading a humble 318i through mountains in Switzerland, revelling in it's accurate helm. Unsurprisingly, the 330 is as good.

So, I guess I'll get a good flogging on here for doing such a change. However, before you get the whips out, the car 330 I'm buying is non-sport suspension on v. nice 17 inch wheels. I'm buying to have some more fun, learn more about driving, not pose about. I might take longer to get from A to B via back rounds, but I think I'll enjoy the journey more. The pay off is a lovely ride and nice motorway manners, which are quite important to me also.

I'll still hang about and post back after having had the car for a bit, I pick it up next week. Still go to meets where it's for the driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm still having pangs of wondering if I'm doing the right thing, but I do get bored of cars quickly and think I need this change.

Ooooh dear, I've become a BMW driver. You'll know me if you come across me, I'm the nice one that lets you out at T-junctions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Make sure you keep the silver mirrors for the BMW bling...

It's a sensible choice though, my former boss had a 330 and it was in many respects everything an M3 is but without some ultimate pace and grip.

They are much faster than their power figures would have you beleive, handle well (once you learn how to treat it) and are a quality item.

Personally, I would consider the suspension upgrade (having seen how you drive) but otherwise it's a great package...

When are you coming to Knockhill for some laps?

David.

Remember to get aftermarket indicators fitted!

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you keep the silver mirrors for the BMW bling...

It's a sensible choice though, my former boss had a 330 and it was in many respects everything an M3 is but without some ultimate pace and grip.

They are much faster than their power figures would have you beleive, handle well (once you learn how to treat it) and are a quality item.

Personally, I would consider the suspension upgrade (having seen how you drive) but otherwise it's a great package...

When are you coming to Knockhill for some laps?

David.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers David. The cars silver already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your right about the suspension, but I want to try it on the softer side for a bit. Maybe later.

Can anyone (seriously) recommend a good BMW forum? Could you PM me please. Thanks. It doesn't have the Xenons and I need to find out about retrofit.

Knockhill could be fun in the wet, maybe once I learn to drive it a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Remember to get aftermarket indicators fitted!

[/ QUOTE ]

I better call the salesman now, completely forgot about that. Didn't even notice on the test drive. Oh no, I'm converted already!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
I'm sure you could retro fit some with your xenons.

You made the right choice getting the manual for drivng experience.

Mark R, I've just come the the BMW side. I had a 328i fully modded and found the following sites a great help and good fun.

www.e36coupe.com. I know your going to say ' but I'm getting an E46' but there are plenty of E46 owners on the board.

another is www.bmwcarmag.com goto the forum here and there are loads of E46 owners. Be warned, getting a BMW your going to get the bug of modding. The 3 series has got to be one ofthe most catered cars out there with some very good deals.

If your after parts then the only man to go to is Joe @ Hyper Turismo Racing. He will beat any price and is a top bloke. Him and his Brother have 2 or the best looking E46 M3 cabs.

His number is 0870 0808 182

Mark that 3 litre six is a gem and goes very well - I more than managed to hold my own in that z4 3litre on the last run and the 330 isn't a million miles away from it..... good car although I might have gone for a clubsport though!

Good sound choice Mark, and you will certainly enjoy every minute of ownership I'm sure, but try and lay off the throttle as it's tempting just to blat around to here the engine. I had AC Schnitzer springs fitted on my 318ti sport and can safely say that the ride was still incredibly comfortable even with the sports shocks.

RWD is the only way to be, you'll enjoy your first snowfall when you have to pull out from a junction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Enjoy the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Ade_D, as for peepernick, guess what. He's getting ride of his 330i clubsport. He has started the removal process of the wheels etc. He's now bought himself an M3 '03 so I guess he will be pimping up that ride in the not to distant future.