Buying used from non-Audi approved

cjr

Reaction score
What would you think to buying a used car (2014, 20k miles) from a non-Audi dealership?

Went to see one the other day and price is in line with Audi approved nearly new cars. About £6k depreciation from buying new at 30k. It's had one oil service at 18k miles in Feb this year.

I'm tempted because the spec is quite rare, but I have a couple of nagging red flags: it's an ex demo car and had 1 private owner. Someone (I'm guessing the private owner) has painted the stock calipers, there's slight cosmetic damage to the handbrake release button-the chrome strip has snapped off. What happens if it turns out that the private owner remapped etc. The dealer dealt with all these questions as you would expect but they still worry me slightly. What other questions would you guys be thinking of asking and am I just worrying for no reason?

What would you think to buying a used car (2014, 20k miles) from a non-Audi dealership?

Went to see one the other day and price is in line with Audi approved nearly new cars. About £6k depreciation from buying new at 30k. It's had one oil service at 18k miles in Feb this year.

I'm tempted because the spec is quite rare, but I have a couple of nagging red flags: it's an ex demo car and had 1 private owner. Someone (I'm guessing the private owner) has painted the stock calipers, there's slight cosmetic damage to the handbrake release button-the chrome strip has snapped off. What happens if it turns out that the private owner remapped etc. The dealer dealt with all these questions as you would expect but they still worry me slightly. What other questions would you guys be thinking of asking and am I just worrying for no reason?

What model is it mate and what's the unique spec and are you using finance

It's an a3 s-line, s-tronic, 4wd 2.0 tdi 184PS comes with comfort / tech pack+ and b&o, heated seats! When I said rare I meant in the sense that most Audi approved used cars at the same price on the market right now are the non Quattro model with 150PS without the Audi connect and b&o extras. Granted they are 1 year newer and don't have a private owner. So that is the dichotomy going on in my head right now.

Not going to use finance.

Reactions: Jassyo06
If you think it's too good to be true then it probably is. If you are asking yourself questions and doubting the car walk away. You will never be at peace with your purchase and will always think something is going to go wrong. Go buy a car you are happy with and can drive without worry!

Reactions: Goodfella74, pburv, Simon L and 2 others
It's an a3 s-line, s-tronic, 4wd 2.0 tdi 184PS comes with comfort / tech pack+ and b&o, heated seats! When I said rare I meant in the sense that most Audi approved used cars at the same price on the market right now are the non Quattro model with 150PS without the Audi connect and b&o extras. Granted they are 1 year newer and don't have a private owner. So that is the dichotomy going on in my head right now.

Not going to use finance.

Audi do have a large mark up on there approved used car's mate,interior wear and tear is a reflection on how the car has been treated,exterior wise is the car good,have you driven the car,you could always try and find a person that's more qualified than you mechanically to give the car a good inspection,just some food for thought yeah quattro and some nice goodies like bang&olufsen are a real temptation.

Reactions: pburv, Scottyg and Simon L
Personally I wouldn't expect to see a car from an indy garage priced at the same level as an Audi approved used vehicle. I'd get it independantly inspected as you've spotted the non-gen painted calipers & damaged h/b trim so potentially there are other issues you may have missed depending on your level of technical knowledge etc.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Scuba Blue very nice,it's also got upgraded alloys on it,yeah it was an ex demo,as for the brake calipers they've been painted because the silver paint corrodes within months from new,it's a very nice example hopefully you'll get the car you want whether it be this one or not
Off topic lol but l have a very nice S3 sepang blue up for sale in July with a fantastic spec...mileage 14k ** 2015 £27k

Reactions: pburv
Lodge Motors, I used to drive passed their site everyday, they do seem to have some nice premium brand cars in stock usually. Personally speaking I'd say from doing a quick nationwide search on Audi & Autotrader websites the car you like is 2k over priced compared to other 184ps quattros with a similar spec available either from other indy's or Audi, but then no one ever pays the screen price.

Last edited:
Personally speaking I'd say from doing a quick nationwide search on Audi & Autotrader websites the car you like is 2k over priced compared to other 184ps quattros available either from indy's or Audi, but then no one ever pays the screen price.
I'd love to see some examples of 2k cheaper 184 quattros. Care to share any, I've certainly been looking!

Btw you can just about see the handbrake button damage in the pic below. Anyone know if its easy to fix or find a replacement part. I would expect them to fix this before selling or at least include it in any discount.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 14.38.54.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 14.38.54.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
That's nice but it's not a sportback, and I won't be using pcp. Speaking of that though is it possible to cancel and pay off the amount in full, keeping the benefits and avoiding paying interest!? Cheeky but I've read about other people doing something similar.

I cancelled the Audi PCP but kept the benefits on my previous Audi, with no issues but haven't done the same with my current A3 as finance through my bank as a preferential customer was cheaper even taking into account the deposit contribution & factoring the cost of paying for two services myself.

That's nice but it's not a sportback, and I won't be using pcp. Speaking of that though is it possible to cancel and pay off the amount in full, keeping the benefits and avoiding paying interest!? Cheeky but I've read about other people doing something similar.

I just did this on the jag as it gave £1000 deposit, you get two options to clear it off literally the day you buy it. They can't force you anymore to pay it for a certain amount of time, even though the sales guys said the unwritten rule is you have to pay for 6mths...must be a commission reason. Cancel it and pay it off with a few quid interest, or pay it off early with a small repayment charge (would have cost me a few hundred extra this way). Second option gives you the benefits still, but given I got a 2yr warranty with it I was fine to cancel it in my mind.
Now paying 3.4% instead of 10.9%

Reactions: Satory
^ this, absolutely. The dealer may tell you that you have to maintain the contract for a certain a period before cancellation. However this is a flat out lie, and in my guess is illegal for them to say. They may lose their kick-back if you cancel early but that is not your problem. You have an absolute right in law to cancel any PCP agreement within 14 days. In theory, but I guess never in practice?, you could sign a contract linking the deposit contribution with the number of monthly payments so always worth reading the fine print, but that isn't how it works; the dealer is relying on your laziness to get his kick-back.

If you intend on paying it off on day 1 why not just negotiate a discount on the car and pay that, saving x% interest. You won't get the 1,500 contribution and 2 services but that is kind of cancelled out by paying whatever rate you managed to agree.

If you intend on paying it off on day 1 why not just negotiate a discount on the car and pay that, saving x% interest. You won't get the 1,500 contribution and 2 services but that is kind of cancelled out by paying whatever rate you managed to agree.

Because the contribution is on top of any deal you could negotiate for cash, so why not get both?

Reactions: richinsoton