Buying Tips 1999 S4

smoking_bob

Reaction score
HI all.
First off apologies, i'm sure all these questions have been answered tons of times before. I have done some research but some information seem to conflict so best off to ask some experts.

The car i'm looking at is a 1999 S4, FSH and receipts on carzone.ie It looks cracking, details in the link.

Audi S4 2.7 TWIN TURBO QUATTRO just reduced - €7,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

The add says there are tons of receipts but is there anything i should look for given the age and mileage on the car. ie are there any known problems that should have been sorted by now. Is it a chain or belt. i think its a belt but i found differing opinions on this) I will check the receipts for belt changes/ turbo replacements and clutch, and anything else that been done.

Mileage I'll take it is not an issue on the engine, but with 127,000 miles what should i be looking for on the test drive in terms of suspension/noises/rattles. On start up (other than blue smoke out the back) anything else i should look for.ie lights on the dash/what should come on and such.

I think thats about it. I'm a diy mechanic so i know a fair bit about buying/maintaining cars but i always like to do my research first. Anything else anyone thinks of/any advice at all would be greatly appreciated before i go and look at her.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Last edited:
Welcome to ASN!
IMHO expensive for a pre face lift model facelift starts from 1999 - 2001, the facelifts have a lot of subtle improvements done a quick conversion on xe 7,950.00 EUR = 6,779.18 GBP

Last edited:
Seems like a hell of a lot of money. How much would it cost you to import and register a car from the UK?

Reckon you could pick up a similar one in the UK for not much over £4k!

The problem with importing is that we have VRT, Vehicle registration tax. Its 33% of the open market value of the car being imported. So if the car had 10000 euro value in Ireland and you imported it you would have to shell out about 3300 euro to register it.So 13300 total cost on import. It a rip off really and some say illegal due to European laws. Anyway thats the only one i can find at the moment. there is 1 4.2 online, thats 10 grand but the road tax on that is 1500 euro a year and its almost 1800 for me to insure. The 2.7 is 900 to insure plus a grand to tax for the year. The other problem with importing is that i wanna use my car as part exchange and selling private here at the moment is a nightmare, no one is really buying. I dont really mind paying some over the odds, and if its a good one i dont mind buying the first i see. High power cars like the S4 are just not popular here, insurance and tax are expensive, so choice is limited. I'll have a read of the guide but thanks for the replies. I will get one but if i need to hang on for a while i will :)

Thanks again

Rob

yea good idea to hang on, if its not too far from id go and test drive it. i would defo hold out for a facelift

Here is a comparison

Audi : Audi S4 Saloon On pistonheads but now sold. 3800pounds

From the VRT calculator.
1999 Audi s4 2.7

Open market selling price :8705 euro
Rate of tax :36%
Vehical registration tax :3133euro

So all in an import will cost --- 4,457.32 (3800 GBP) + 3133 = 7799

************* got the original calculation wrong***********

I might go have a look but if there if there is that much difference between this and the face lift i might hang on.

Last edited:
here are some of the differences
A4S4faceliftmechanical.jpg

A4S4faceliftcosmetic.jpg

difference you may notice are one piece headlights, bigger foglights, newer style rear lenses, different rear bumper, electronic boot release, rounded door handles, centre console has a complete change small neater buttons.
IIRC S4 face has ESP traction control.

That's a fair few changes on both mechanical and cosmetic. Obviously the cosmetic changes are just a matter of taste but the mechanical ones are a lot. Were these just improvements of did they fix known issues? I might have to wait 6 months for another S4 which i'm not that sure i could do that. I need a car soon so i might just plump for the one i listed earlier. As you can see importing is not really a option. i'll have a think about it. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

TBH most of the changes ARE simply cosmetics.

If they're as rare as you make out, then personally i'd give it a very good look over and if everything checks out then go for it.

Bear in mind that at its a 11 year old car, all of the suspension bushings, engine mounts etc will be in need of replacement. Subframe bushes will also likely be knackered. The rear springs are prone to breaking, and the shocks are probably a bit worn if they're original

Hey Aragorn, if its only suspension stuff i can do all that myself. I have access to a ramp so that helps. I will spend money on it so a full new shiny loewring kit with adjustable dampers will be in order anyway. I screwed up my calculations on the import tax. So importing one might be viable. I think i'll go and have a look at the other one anyway. Its only 20 mins from work. Thanks for the info.

There was a guy on the other forums called Mattsimis who lives over in Ireland. He sold his K04'd S4 just over a couple of years ago for around £10k, and that had all the toys including Water/Meth injection and a PC fitted into the car.

He originally put the car up for 16k Euros, but let it go for around £10k in early 2008. So if you could get that sort of car in Ireland 2 years ago for £10k, the standard one you've posted up still seems a crazy price even for Ireland!

especially given teh costs you describe and the lack of interest in higher power cars.
offer him Euro6k!!

Yeah, i think your all right. Its just overpriced. I might ring and make an offer. 5.5k plus my own. Then go and see it and make sure everyting checks out. There is a c36 amg 1996 with 150k that looks mighty tempting and its only 5k. But i'd much rather have the Audi!

have a look over on audisrs there is a couple of s4s for sale on there at a good price too. this seems quite expensive for a pre facelift. just my opinion though

Thanks Wayne, its your opinion i'm after, There is only so much you can do reserch wise then you really have to as some owners for their opinions.

Heading over there now.