Buying advice

CMB1

Reaction score
Im on the lookout for a diesel and have decided on a B7 A4. I had my heart set on the 2.0 tdi 170 model but I've heard a few bad things about it? Is it really that problematic? I have about £7,000 to spend so think ill be looking at around 90,000 miles. Is there anything i should be looking out for? Is the 140 the better choice? Id be looking for a black S Line edition. Coming from a MKV Golf GTi i guess its a total different beast. The main reason is economy so your real life economy figures would be helpful, would probably go stage 1 as well so how has that affected you MPG :)
Thanks

Cheers mate! Some scary reading there! He's also saying the 170 version is a better car which I've heard is the opposite. Confusing stuff!

No worries....I had loads of hassle with my previous oil burner....and switched to petrol cars two years ago. I have more frequent visit to my local Shell garage but don't see my garage as much, and my road tax is 75% less too! ( Sweden ) I think the rule of thumb with the diesel engines imho is to go for the latest diesel engined B7's as you can afford, but please do your homework on this to avoid heartbreak.

Cheers
A