BTCC 2009

Wes G

Reaction score
Quick question as I havnt paid much attention to it of late, anyone know whats happening for 2009, who is driving what & has Plato got a drive secured for 09 as yet?
Also,what are peoples views on the cars for next year-any predictions what will be on top???
Normally stay on top of this but been so busy lately.:thumbsup:
Still think the VAG group should have a change and put a VW\AUDI in the field, there are too many SEATS now for my liking???:racer::racer::racer::beerchug:

Can't see there are too many SEATS?

SEAT Sport Uk have pulled out, so thats minus 2

BTC Racings Toledos are up for sale (check touringcarspares website), that minus 2

Of the 2008 runners, that only leaves Adam Jones in his Leon, how can 1 definite runner be too many?

If cartridgeworld/carbonzeroracing make the 2009 grid, there will be 3, out of a field of 20+

Try counting BMW's (at least 6), or Hondas (at least 5), or even Vauxhalls (at least 5 or 6 next year, 3 works, Eurotech running a Vectra, and Arkas running 2 Astras)

Can't see there are too many SEATS?

SEAT Sport Uk have pulled out, so thats minus 2

BTC Racings Toledos are up for sale (check touringcarspares website), that minus 2

Of the 2008 runners, that only leaves Adam Jones in his Leon, how can 1 definite runner be too many?

If cartridgeworld/carbonzeroracing make the 2009 grid, there will be 3, out of a field of 20+

Try counting BMW's (at least 6), or Hondas (at least 5), or even Vauxhalls (at least 5 or 6 next year, 3 works, Eurotech running a Vectra, and Arkas running 2 Astras)

:wtf::wtf::wtf:Was`nt a dig at Seat...Im also a Seat fan-just thought it would be nice to see a differant model from the VAG group enter it???
I didnt Know so many Seats had dropped out for next season either hense the question so dont have a pop pal, it was all ment in a good way.
Well, whatever is running next season I will look forward to it, always a good & exciting season whatever is running.:salute:

Well I think Audi are scaling down there DTM operation in Germany. Can't see them forking out on a BTCC team.
SEAT have wiped the floor in the WTCC, and as mentioned, are out of the BTCC.
VW, well who knows whats happening there, what with the recent Porsche buy out and share price chaos.
Skoda, well they have recently developed their Super 2000 Rally Fabia, so I guess thats where their priorities will be.

I think it will be down to SEAT to fly the VAG flag in the BTCC, in an independent capacity.

But if somebody buys the old TDI chassis' from SEAT Sport UK, and Adam Jones returns, and Cartridge world make the grid, we could see 5 Leons.

And if a smaller independent buys BTC's Toledos, well you can add them to the grid, then your "too many SEATs" would probably be true, :laugh:

Guess I`ll be supporting an independant next season then-hopefully he will do us proud?:racer:
Wonder if Plato will get a drive for 2009?:cool:

Hard to say, technically he's still under contract to SEAT, but i'm sure they will "pay him off"

He has said he has "new respect" for Yvan Muller, his old enemy. So maybe if a slot appears in the WTCC team?

Other works teams are rumoured to be entering the BTCC, Volvo for one, and possibly Ford, so that would be at least 4 works drives up for grabs.

Would be interesting to see Volvo in it again, takes me back a few years to when they used to run those big old tanks-they looked superb & were seriously quick. Although if Ford and Volvo entered it would they not be on the same engine? 2.5 5 pot Turbo?

No, current regulations (S2000) state that engine must be a 2.0ltr, normally aspirated petrol, or 2.0ltr 4 pot TDi, all based on road going engines.

Old BTC regulation cars are being phased out.

Wonder which would be a better TC of the 2 then...will have to hope they go for it to find out...:cool:

As a side note, BTCC have an environmental angle, and allow E85 Bio-Ethanol engines, which are similar to the petrol engines, but cleaner burning. They have a few different parts, and an ECU map to suit.

Volvo already have a car in the swedish touring car championship, not certain how successful its been, touringcartimes website will probably say though.

CURRENTLY HAVE CARS 5TH AND 10TH IN CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!

Volvo already have a car in the swedish touring car championship, not certain how successful its been, touringcartimes website will probably say though.

CURRENTLY HAVE CARS 5TH AND 10TH IN CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!

Sounds pretty competetive!!!:icon_thumright:

Oh and welcome to AS Net...only just noticed you`re new:thumbsup:

Quick update on VAG participation in 2009

Team CVR (Cartridge World) still aim to run 2 Leons
BTC Racing still aim to run 2 Leons
Team Air Cool/GR **** still aim to run 1 Leon

No VW/Audi/Skoda participation on the horizon

I heard that seat are concentrating on the seat cup, or whatever it's called, for next season hence why the lack of involvment in btcc.
I've also head that the btcc themselves are struggling for cash and teams, with them almost begging manufactuors and independents to join. This coming from a mate who works for one of the independents.

Not so sure they are begging for teams.

I know they would like more "Works" teams

Volvo are entering next year (allegedly), as are CVR. So they have lost 1 team and gained 2, that makes a balance of +1

On the subject of the BTCC struggling financially, I would say all race programs probably are. Audi are scaling down their DTM, BMW have given the impression of lessening their motorsport commitment too.

It the economic state of the world unfortunately. Even F1 are looking at the "how long an engine should last" regulations. They have also mentioned a one make engine ( which has annoyed Ferrari, who have threatened that if this ever happens, they will leave F1)

Motorsport in general is suffering.