Brake disks/size

rustynlc

Reaction score
Hi all, been searching the web and ASN but can't seem to find a definite answer, I'm trying to source some disks for my car, but can't figure out what size disk I need, I have an A3 1.8t Quattro 180bhp model 2000 reg, I'm not sure if the car needs 288 or the bigger option of 3**, (can't remember the two size options the manual gives) mr Haynes doesn't specify which size my car needs. Can I use either sizes? Or do I nee a specific size, should point out this is just for the front end, I could measure the disks on the car but going by the state of the pads,(deeps scores on the inside) and the fact the previous owner had let the pads get in a sorry state I cannot be sure if they are the right size disk in the first place, any tips or advice would be greatful, I also feel the disks are warped and that tho may be the rotaional not/scrape I have, cheers for your time folks

the sizes you speak of are 288 or 312mm, both use the same caliper with a different carrier and disc size.

I THINK 1.8TQ's had 288mm fronts still, other 180bhp cars in the VAG stable seemed to get 312mm fronts, but I THINK the TQ kept 288 fronts.

Yes, definitely 288mm on A3 1.8T as standard. You best measure your discs though in case they've already been upgraded to 312mm with S3 carriers! Either way, larger is better. I have an almost new set of front 312mm and rear 256mm discs for sale, PM me. My parents are travelling back to Wiltshire tomorrow morning so I could potentially deliver too. Alistair

Cheers prawn, fountains of knowledge I see, how easy would it be to upstate the caliper to the bigger size, ie can callipers be source from other vag cars? , and cheers big al ill check the size of mine and if they are 312 ill get back to you.

If your running 288mm then all you need to upgrade to 312mm is the carriers from an s3 and bigger discs. You use your current callipers

Reactions: rustynlc