Boost gauge fitting 2002 BAM

MSTRKRFTSMN

Reaction score
Hi, apologies for the new thread but I've searched all over and all other threads seem to be either left hand drive or different engines and I can't quite get the answer I need. If I can get this done I will make a full guide with pictures.

S3 8L 2002 BAM
N249 by pass done this morning

My boost gauge came with:

*Gauge - smoked glass so needs to be wired straight away really.
*Separate Boost sensor - I think this just goes nearby the gauge as the wires are short, but the vacuum hose goes to this, not the gauge itself.
*Various wires/stand etc - looks like there is a short power lead with a clip fitting on the end which could plug straight in somewhere if there was an available power source.

I'm not bothering with the pillar mount for the gauge just yet so I'm just going to stick it close by on the dash in the recess to the right side of the steering wheel.

ok...

So I understand I need to put the T junction on the DV to inlet mani hose that bypassed the n249.

But where does this t-pipe go? How do I get it to the driver side dash?

When it comes to wiring where's the nearest/easiest power/earth. I have my oem Bose stereo out at the moment so there are loads of accessible wires I could potentially use there (maybe?). Can these be fed up to the driver side dash easily enough? Then there's the fuse box on the drivers side - anything usable aroubd there?

I'd really appreciate some pointers please, preferably with photos. Cheers

Last edited:
I have your exact engine, to gain access through the dash you will need to take the skuttle cover off (which can be a nightmare as the wipers need removing). Once the cover is off there is a small plastic fuse box towards the drivers side of the car which I simply drilled through and pushed through the vacuum line. Take the side cover off your dash and remove the cover/fuses held with the torx bolts, you should then be able to retrieve the vacuum line from here and run it up the pillar.

As for the wiring, I spliced into the red and brown (I think) wires that should just be hanging there when the covers off. This wasn't the easiest place to wire it but it comes on with the lights and dims, someone else may be able to better advise you.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful thanks. I guess I need to disconnect the battery before I do the wiring? Any tips on splicing. Can you get crimp clips or something to make it easy?

I installed oil temp and pressure gauges on the weekend, I ran my wires in behind the glove box cause there was already a rubber grommet there and it wasn't being used so I didn't have to drill holes.

The red circle is where I found the hole. The other image in under the driver side dash, the yellow is the ignition live and the bolt to the left of the relay above it is what I used to ground it.

Edit: I stole the pics from tuffty's build thread :)

Attachments

• 20130507_122412.jpg
    20130507_122412.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 20130510_161825.jpg
    20130510_161825.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 373