Bleeding clutch question?

sandwich1987

Reaction score
I've just refitted my box on my s3 and would like to know if when bleeding it all I have to do it bleed from the port connected to te slave cylinder? Is there a specific method? I will be using an ezzibleed.

On a side note my fluids not been changed in a while so I am in two minds whether to replace the fluid...I currently have some sort of issue communicating with my abs unit would this pose a problem when trying to bleed the system? And how many litres does the system hold?
Thanks

I used a 1 ltr can of fluid to do a full replace and bleed the clutch... to bleed the clutch you use the bleed nipple by the starter motor... using the pressure bleeder you let fluid out through the nipple, tighten then pump the clutch pedal by hand 5 times (as it may well stay down on the first few times)... repeat this at least three times and all should be good...

<tuffty/>

Getting the thing back up!! Swear words aplenty man!

Any thoughts on the abs issue when replacing the fluid?
Thanks

Getting the thing back up!! Swear words aplenty man!

Any thoughts on the abs issue when replacing the fluid?
Thanks

I have never had to cycle the ABS pump during a fluid change... I believe thats more for if you have replaced the ABS unit as air could get stuck in there so its run to help force it out... on a system that should be air free its a non issue...

Don't forget to bleed the brake master cylinder too..

<tuffty/>

I've read a few places about bleeding the master brake cylinder. I've never bled the master cylinder before, only the brakes themselves. Any pointers on this?

I've read a few places about bleeding the master brake cylinder. I've never bled the master cylinder before, only the brakes themselves. Any pointers on this?

Do it last after bleeding the brakes and be careful with the 2 x bleed nipples as they are awkward to get to and being quite small (7mm iirc, I used a deep 1/4" socket to crack them off) they break easily so be gentle...

I tend to crack them off and make them finger tight, push the hose over the end to catch the fluid, pressurise the bleeder and then rotate the nipple by hand to bleed as there is no room...

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty, think I should do this at some point. Got problems with a juddering brake pedal at the moment and should go ahead and rule out improperly bled brake system

Rite I'm having issues bleeding this clutch, got the ezzibleed connected to the fluid reservoir and hooked up to the tyre, when I open the bleed valve hardly any fluid comes out and it's just sucks air back in? The pedal also stays stuck to the floor when the air is connected help!!

If the pedal is down I don't think much fluid will come out as the seals in the clutch MC are past the reservoir feed so the ezzi bleed won't be able to push fluid past... you need to pull the pedal up first (no pressure on the ezzi bleed) and then try... if the pedal goes down from the pressure then the clutch MC may be ********...

<tuffty/>

I'm getting fluid through but not a great deal, it doesn't even make it out of the 6 inch tubes you get with the ezzibleed, its as soon as the the air is connected to the system it sucks the pedal down, don't know if it makes any difference now but the first time I open the bleed nipple with everything connected nothing came out at all had to pump the pedal a few times before it came out.

I hope not....it's just reading everything on here about the bleeding process and Im not even making it to the first stage of bleeding it....is It possible to fix the master cylinder seals?

New MC is around the 50 quid mark mate... its a common issue for them to fail..

<tuffty/>

Do you think there's any chance the masters not gubbed cos this is the last thing I need right now...is there a definitive test or have I pretty much already confirmed it?

Generally if the clutch is all bled up and the pedal stays on the floor the MC is shot...

<tuffty/>

That's the problem I'm having problems actually bleeding the clutch...I'll try again tomorrow with the bleeder and see what's happens. Cheers lads.

Having trouble bleeding my clutch after fitting a new one. Tried pressure bleeder at 10 PSI, then 5-7 PSI (seem to work better) and letting the air out naturally. Got a bit of pedal there, then it went again. Used over 1.5L of fluid and seem to be getting nowhere. Should I try a one way bleeder valve or two man manual bleeding method ?

Pedal stays at top

Any ideas ?
Thanks

Managed to sort it using a long piece of clear pipe up into a can of fluid above the reservoir got most of the air out with power bleeder and then pumped the air out with pedal. Found the method on youtube. Might be useful for anyone else who got nowhere with a power bleeder alone.

Managed to sort it using a long piece of clear pipe up into a can of fluid above the reservoir got most of the air out with power bleeder and then pumped the air out with pedal. Found the method on youtube. Might be useful for anyone else who got nowhere with a power bleeder alone.
Have you got a link for this ?