Bit of a lazy starter

RyanS3TT

Reaction score
Hello all,

Since ive owned my car sometimes she seems to be a bit of a lazy starter well 80% of the time.

It can sometimes take near 3-4 seconds to start, checked the battery and its fine, anyone know any other things to check?

it varies... Full Half or Near Empty.. Although i havent really been paying attention to it when it does it.. what are you thinking it could be?

There seems to be a correlation between 'lazy starting' and fuel level... the theory being the pressure difference when the tank is full and when the tank is less than half means that the fuel in the lines drains back or isn't sufficient enough to allow the build up of initial pressure to get the engine started sooner

This could be due to a tired non return valve in the intank pump... the weight behind the fuel in the tank helps maintain pressure in the fuel lines for that initial start but as the full dips lower then the pressure difference means it could syphon back... the pumps are supposed to prime on turning the key but if you turn too quickly then the pump won't have as much time to prime and get the correct fuel pressure and flow up delaying the start..

Might be worth turning the ignition on and leaving it a few seconds before turning the key to start the car and see if its any better... I would try this on mine but tbh I have an inline fuel pump that I can hear prime and I normally wait for it to switch off again before turning the engine over...

<tuffty/>

ill test this tommorow. i currently have just over half a tank..

ill test it until empty. thanks Tuffty

Mine does this, half tank to full its fine, half tank or under it struggles.