Best tyres for S3

mattss3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondered what tyres you use on your S3s I have been recommended Michelin CrossClimates. Has anyone had these or a better tyre?

Matt

OK, I have a Golf R on 19" Pretoria wheels (but am interested in an S3 in the future), pretty much the same car under the skin, and it came on truly awful Bridgestone Potenza RE050As. 6k miles in I changed tyres because the grip was truly awful, and went for Michelin Pilot Supersports (PSS) and the car is transformed - completely unflappable in the wet and the dry, even when pushing it very hard.

There are other tyres that are good to start with (Conti 5s, Dunlop SP01 etc), but they tend to rally fade hallfway through their life, Michelins are good down to the last 2mm, either PSS or PS3 (PS4 may be out now).

I've had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2's on my A3 for over 2 years now, done over 40k kilometres, and they still grip really really well. Good alternative if you don't feel like paying the premium for Michelins. They do get a bit noisy after 10k kilometres...

Indeed they are and superior to PSS from the horses mouth .

PS3 are better than PSS?

I have always used PS3 but tend to get through them in ~12k; tend to get through shock absorbers quickly as well it seems

I'm using ContiSportContact 5's and they are Amazing! Great feedback and great turn in response. Brilliant in the dry and Pretty good in wet also.

Only drawbacks is they tend to wear quickly and after about 3mm the grip fades out a little when you push them.

Can't fault eagle f1s assy 2 great at putting power down in the wet

Jap tyres are pretty good (Toyo, Yokohama, Falcon), but they do wear quite quickly, fantastic dry weather grip though.

Been running AS2s for about two years now, recently replaced one pair with AS3s. Can't fault them. Internet chatter says PS4 is the tyre to have at the moment though.

Been running AS2s for about two years now, recently replaced one pair with AS3s. Can't fault them. Internet chatter says PS4 is the tyre to have at the moment though.

Yea they were the only Tyre to outrank the Conti's on the tests

Nah, super cheapo ditch finders, keeps you on your toes. :)

Reactions: Jutchops and AdzA3AGU
Goodyear F1 Asym 2 or 3's all day long..... Been in the tyre business 10+years so like to think I know my stuff ;). If you wanted something mid range then Falken FK510 or Uniroyal Rainsport 2 (if you can find any as they are discontinued), if not Rainsport 3.

They are a good tyre i just think the Goodyears are just as good at a more reasonable price.. From prev experience with Michelins on my own car I found them to lack grip for a split second or so through corners until the weight of the car shifts fully then they maintain good grip but maybe thats just me :p

PSS is my personal choice. I have them on the beema and the S3, absolutely great tyres. I've never tried the PS4's. Someone please put them on a well setup car and write a full review. Thanks :)

I use rainsport 3s, wear quickly being a soft compound but they're decent in the dry and in the wet the traction and grip are like it's bone dry.

I just put a set of Eagle F1 A3's on.
had the same tires on my previous car and was super happy with them.
On the S3 they handle very well indeed (even with worn suspension they manage to give me the confidence to chuck it in a corner like there's no tomorrow)

If you dont do a lot of miles, i highly recommend toyo R888 medium compound they held my 360bhp impreza to the road like glue but wore stupidly quick, but thats what you get when running road legal track day tyres

Since power has gone up in mine, the rainsport 3's have worn from 3mm to just above legal limit in a week :blink::whistle2:

I just put a set of Eagle F1 A3's on.
had the same tires on my previous car and was super happy with them.
On the S3 they handle very well indeed (even with worn suspension they manage to give me the confidence to chuck it in a corner like there's no tomorrow)

I must say buying tyres let alone choosing tyres is a mare .

Having a quick look on Tyre Leader .

2016 08 27 112436

2016 08 27 112645

And...

2016 08 27 113002

2016 08 27 113057

So the cheaper ones have a better rim protector and are quieter , it doesn't make sense , surely this tyre is not available without a rim protector or a smaller one ?

Just ordered some Michelin ps4 for the front and going to get some for the rear when they're worn out, which I don't imagine being long. Hope they're as good as they're cracked up to be :)

Reactions: Gazwould