1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Car GPS Security Tracker

Spinstorm May 14, 2018

1. Spinstorm

Spinstorm Well-Known Member

I have been thinking it’s a smart idea to get a tracker for my car so if someone were to steal it I can get the police to it easily.

But there are so many different kinds. It’s confusing.

Any recommendations? Also I have a Blackvue camera hardwired to my car thanks to @DJAlix so don’t know if that makes a difference. I’m aware I can get an OBD tracker but if someone steals the car all they need to do is unplug that.

So something that can be hardwired- probably installed when purchased.

2. billymc92

billymc92 2018 Ara Blue Facelift RS3

What’s wrong with the standard Audi one fitted? It tells you exactly where it is the same as any other tracker would

3. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Personally I would look in to getting an AutoWatch Ghost Immobiliser so no one can take the car in the first place. I know I would not want my car back if it was taken for a joyride.

https://autowatch.co.uk/products/security-solutions/autowatch-immobiliser-systems/68-ghost-product

T-800 and s114hed like this.
  4. Dodgygtr

Dodgygtr Active Member

I just put the cheapest tracker in I could get as if it fails I’d rather not get the car back if it was stolen. Plus only reason I put one on is insurance to.d me I needed one on with them.

Thinking of a Clifford blackjax as I’ve have this on my other cars and they work really well.

5. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Is there one fitted as standard ?? How do you access the tracking position ??

6. Bonstio

Bonstio New Member

Same question. Audi Connect / myAudi is a real mess. Especially the Android app - it tracks my position but seemingly not the cars. Duh. Maybe I'm missing something?

7. Dan_DJT

I have found the same, position of my phone is always listed as the vehicles parking location.

8. g5und

g5und Member

How have you got this to work? My Audi app just tells me where I am and gives the ability to record a parking location. Doesn't appear to track the car in real-time though...

9. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

I’m pretty sure this only works if you have MMI high, with built in SIM, otherwise it’s tracking your phone.....

Regarding Trackers, it usually comes down to how much money you want to spend, from a eBay special - stick a SIM card in and configure it (look for TK104 best of the cheaper end of the market) to a £1k state of the art with live online tracking, and an annual subscription fee to match :racer:

jungle650 likes this.
  10. g5und

g5und Member

I have the built-in SIM and you don't get tracking. The myaudi app is pretty useless and doesn't do anything remotely like other models. Poor show to be honest on a MY18 car...

11. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

As long as you link the app to your car (using the MMI code generated from the myaudi.com site) then, if you have a built in SIM, when you launch the app, using the locate my car feature, if should tell you where the the car is.

12. Bonstio

Bonstio New Member

As in the middle tab in this app? https://photos.app.goo.gl/PtYeIhFHZAdMp4Rd2. If so, no way. It's my location and not the car's.

13. Dan_DJT

I second that, mine does exactly the same and shows my position not the cars.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

14. Spinstorm

Actually I am the reverse - if they take it then I want it back. I don’t want to have to press random buttons in my car to start it up. I just want to know if its gone where it is and the police can go get it back.

RAF_S7 likes this.
  15. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 quattro Sportback

That’s a funny look to have on it, haha.

Don’t you turn start stop off, cycle drive select every time you get in? The Ghost becomes totally automatic to the point you forget you’ve done it.

16. Dan_DJT

Ive just looked at my cars location using the mmi connect app on Android and it appears to show the correct parking location, have you tried using that app ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

17. Spinstorm

No this isn’t the car location.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I really couldn’t care less about AutoWatch. Ill put the keys in a RF proof bag. I just want to get the car back.

18. Bonstio

Bonstio New Member

+1 neither app shows the correct location.

19. Dan_DJT

You are both right, I thought that it was working as my car location was not the same as my phone, but once I got home from work my car location was still at work. Looks like you can use the app to store the cars parking location rather than it being updated live.

20. Bonstio

Bonstio New Member

21. Spinstorm

Has anyone got any tracker recommendations?

As right now it seems everyone is happy to lose there car if stolen rather than find it and get it back!

22. Dan_DJT

I have a tracking device from Rewire, not as good as a traditional tracker as its gsm only but its something.

I did some research and trackers are easily found, jammed or disabled and dont always give any discount on insurance.

23. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

The tealeaf's break in then use a scanner to locate a GPS tracker and rip it out .

24. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 S tronic

Depends if 1) you can find it and 2) what the condition is like when the car is found ... ie, not in a ditch!

But no, I have no recommendation :)

25. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro S tronic Sportback MQB Platform

AWG

Better to stop them in the first place, unless they hold a bazooka to yer head.......

Can't see why anyone in their right mind would want it back after scum have ragged it/crashed it/taken a dump in it........

oli356, Tristan2 and D0C like this.
  26. Jimmgc51

Jimmgc51 New Member

So im in your boat mate, if it goes I want it back. I have AWG fitted and at the time the installer did a sweet deal on a tracker fitted as well so it covers for being towed away and perhaps being car jacked I can then track it. It's called Smart Track, he recommended it & comes with an app so i can check location whenever I want via google maps and only £12.50 a month for subscription or £350 for life off ownership.

I did do some research and if I wasn't to put AWG on it I would of probably of gone for Cobra (now linked with Vodafone) and got the Cat 5 then you get guaranteed police assistance when stolen and they can remote disconnect the engine so if a chase ensues then they would be sh+t out of luck cos the engine would be cut (upon Police request). Thing is that unit cost about 4 x times more then Smart Track and the subscription was a lot more expensive but you get more features so need to weigh it all up. In most cases mines going nowhere but but for the small extra charge whilst he was doing the AWG install I thought, why not!

Also in terms of ripping it out, he showed me how small it was and is tiny and he was in the car for an hour and ensured me it's buried within the vehicle. So yeah maybe they could get it out but wont be a quick job. It also seems to ping the app every hour with an update so I think it turns on and off so if you were to scan it, the car would be clean unless you scanned whilst it was updating. I could be wrong mind but its seems to be working like that, unless its the tracking company sending the update and car in constantly connected..

Hope this helps..

27. andyt99

andyt99 Active Member

Hi.. "of", isn't a replacement for "have", even though it sounds a bit similar. They're different words with entirely different meanings. You mean "would have probably have gone for..". It's just that in the contraction form "would've", "could've", it almost sounds like "would of", but it really isn't. Thanks

28. jungle650

jungle650 Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi RS3 quattro S tronic MQB Platform DSG

T-800 likes this.
  29. Dan_DJT

That' s the same one I installed, works well and very good customer support, can wire in remote shutdown as well if desired

jungle650 likes this.
  30. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding Site Sponsor Team Ibis VAG Can Professional VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Am in testing at the moment and the unit can be wir d to control anything which you “know” how to connect. Will be testing horn and hazards :)

Dan_DJT, jungle650 and T-800 like this.