Best Aftermarket Radio / Sat nav solution

lukus89

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
One that works with all the built in kit in the center console, steering wheel etc?

anyone got a suggestion? pictures of solutions they've put in instead? I'd like it to look as OEM as possible.

Currently got the 3g MMI.

Thx

There is no aftermarket unit that works with the MMI controls, also you would have to rip out the hole system, AMP, head unit, radio as it all runs on a fiber optic bus. The MMI also controls some of the cars systems, which again no aftermarket system can do.

There is the new Alpine unit which can handle all the cars interface but it's a good £1500 and not quite plug and play.

That unit is more of a replacement for concert & symphony spec cars, if you look at the installation instructions, there is no MOST connector so you would have to also replace the AMP (depending on your sound system) & extend the aerial cables to the font of the car. There is also no interface on that system to use the controls around the gear stick. You would also have to remove the MOST based gateway and fit the can based version.

Apologies didn't spot the last sentence. If MMI 3G is present I'd retrofit to MMI 3GP as that will offer pretty much everything you could ever want bar a better sound system.

Apologies didn't spot the last sentence. If MMI 3G is present I'd retrofit to MMI 3GP as that will offer pretty much everything you could ever want bar a better sound system.

I have the alpine X701D-A4r in my car, fitted it myself and is pretty much plug and play. When you purchase it Alpine will programme it to work with or without original amp in car! Steering wheel buttons work fine except the telephone option. Great bit of kit and streams music via Bluetooth from phone so I did not bother with dvd/cd player.

There is no aftermarket unit that works with the MMI controls, also you would have to rip out the hole system, AMP, head unit, radio as it all runs on a fiber optic bus. The MMI also controls some of the cars systems, which again no aftermarket system can do.
I can operate and change car settings on my newly installed alpine X701D-A4r?

What B5nut says is correct...you've gone from a Chorus or Symphony radio whereas lukas already has MMI 3G so will have the full setup and keyboard etc.

Fair enough. Pleased with the upgrade anyway.

I have the alpine X701D-A4r in my car, fitted it myself and is pretty much plug and play. When you purchase it Alpine will programme it to work with or without original amp in car! Steering wheel buttons work fine except the telephone option. Great bit of kit and streams music via Bluetooth from phone so I did not bother with dvd/cd player.
Where did you buy the alpine unit and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking.

Where did you buy the alpine unit and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking.
raysmith.co.uk around £1400 after 10% discount. Great service and cheapest in the UK at the time.

Hi, is this the alpine unit thats advertised in audi tuner magazine as i was looking into this?

Don't know as I haven't seen the article.

Thrilled with my RSNav!!!
64ad1e7dccd07f2b5c2c6b40f5f79e7b.jpg
41c04a71337290b4d65b7743c0099a5d.jpg
fc845e6c1f5228c25b564a039a439d9f.jpg
17e852f0b3fe19ce594e147d1589fe9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: blueleggy and scotty76